You are here

LICE - Sometimes BM really pisses me off!!!

VENUS452's picture

So BM had a weekend away planned and dropped SS off a day early. She has two other children as well and dropped them off with each of their fathers. Then at 10:30 at night she calls DH to tell him her youngest has lice and to check SS. Well sure enough he does, nits AND live lice!!!!!! I've never dealt with them before so I was busy researching to see what I all needed to do, thinking I was lucky because he had only been there a couple of hours, so hopefully he didn't infect too many areas. WELL...during a further conversation between BM and DH, she let it slip that she had a family member staying with her two weeks ago that had it and that she "had a pretty good feeling" all the kids had lice to!!!

Seriously!!!! A heads up would have been nice. Especially since she knew there was a possibility he could have gotten it two weeks ago!! DH and I would never turn SS away, but we at least could have been checking his hair regularly (he's 7 and washes and styles his own hair now, so it's rare that DH and I assist with that) and taking necessary precautions around the house. We might have been able to catch this sooner before the buggers hatched!

Now, I know that lice is not a sign of filth, or bad hygiene, etc. (Even though her house is pretty dirty most of the time) so I'm not accusing her of that. Or of being a bad mom, which she naturally assumes we think of her. But come on! Let people know so it doesn't spread, treat their hair, do something! Don't just drop them off with their dads, now infesting three different houses!!!

When DH asked her why she didn't say something sooner, her response was....Well I've been really looking forward to this trip and didn't want to have to cancel it if you refused to take him.

THANKS A LOT BM, THANKS A LOT!!!!

I've now made myself sick cleaning everything in fear that it's been in our house for two weeks, and of course I feel like there are things crawling on me all day long.

Ok, I'm done venting.

On another note, any tips or places that I might not have thought to clean??? I like a really clean house, I'm probably a little crazy about it, so this is VERY stressful to me.

VENUS452's picture

Ugh so annoying!! A little common courtesy every once in a while would be nice. Can you imagine the fall out if we did that to them!!

MidwestStepmom's picture

As a child I got lice a lot. It was so bad that my SM put mayo in our hair and wrapped a plastic bag over it. I had to sleep like that overnight and wash it out the next day. Lice ='dead. Put all your clothes and fabrics in the dryer and kill them.

notsobad's picture

Crappy.
The good news is that lice can only live away from a host for 24 - 30 hours. So you should not have a problem with them living on your things. As long as bedding is washed in hot water it will be fine too.

I know it's super creepy but it will be okay.
And as weird as it sounds, when my boys had lice doing the combing after treatment was very calming. I put a towel on my lap and the boys laid down while I combed out all the nits. It gave me a sense of controlling the situation and we were bonding like little monkeys.
You or hubby will have to comb thru his hair daily to make sure all the nits are gone.

You and hubby should do a treatment just to be safe and check each other's hair. I had a few nits, like less than 20. The boys picked them out for me.

Another good thing is that if her kids have them and were exposed 2 weeks ago, she likely has them too!

Glassslipper's picture

We just went through the same thing with DD this summer. We were able to control and handle the situation quickly and it didn't speadsheet to any of the other kids.
Tips:
Washing doesn't help, it's the high heat dryer that does. Strip his bed an hour before bed, every night, run high heat in the dryer
You don't have to wash ALL the clothes, just the ones he wore that day.
The lice kits don't give you much spray to use, but they hate listerine, put regular (not mint) in a spray bottle and spray things down with that.
Every night before bed, for 3 weeks, pull out all the nit eggs you can find. EVERY NIGHT
PUT his brush in the freezer at night and use an alternative for the next day, then rotate and put that one in the freezer
Buy Paul Mitchel Tea Tree shampoo, use it regularly.
No one else got it in our house and I honestly believe the fact that everyone but DD uses it regularly is what prevented us from getting infected.

PolyMom's picture

With our BM it was scabies. I mean, is there something about crazy and dirty that go hand in hand?

Disneyfan's picture

LOL

We use bleach for ringworms. Soak a q-tip in bleach then rub it on the spot. In a few days it dries out and all is fine.

Of course if a teacher every sees it, then you have to get a doctor's note (and a prescription that I never filled).

gettingthere's picture

Ugh, we just had this with fleas.
She had him for 3 weeks and we traveled 12 hours to pick up SK, after we checked into our hotel in her city she texts to say "oh just wanted to tell you the marks on SK are flea bites, we had fleas but I had the house sprayed last week and washed almost half SK clothes...should be good"
We were set to pick upSK the next morning, we were 12 hours from home and would arrive late with no ability to prep or anything for our home. I was so frustrated since she knew for over a week! Let us make a plan! Let us pick up the rest of his stuff to wash so the fleas don't come home with us! By the time we got home I had over 20 bites from letting SK sleep on me with his blankie (we got a new one but toddlers and their comfort items...) I hve scrubbed this house multiple times since getting home and have stayed on top of laundry and it looks llike we are ok.
But... I feel the ain and frustration, *sad lice/flea fist bump*