You are here

a lawyer for a 13 year old?

Calypso1977's picture

my partner is going for joint custody. a court date has been set for january.

we just learned yesterday that BM has hired an attorney to represent SD13. this is in addition to the lawyer representing BM.

we have no idea why SD13 would need a lawyer of her own? Anyone have experience with this or any insight as to why she'd have a lawyer? the only thing we can think of is to somehow protect her from having to testify?

Shaman29's picture

This happened to DH when Uberskank wanted to get custody again.

Court ordered attorney for DH's kid. Half paid by each parent.

When she skipped school for the umpteenth time, DH laid into her. About 10 minutes later his kid comes out holding the phone, telling DH "My attorney wants to speak to you."

She told DH he could not discipline his child. DH told her that he is CP and he will raise his child as he chooses. Then hung up on her.

stormabruin's picture

We had a court-appointed GAL for DH's kids. (I'm not sure why BM/DH didn't have to pay for it.)

The GAL is there on behalf of the child. Custody, etc is supposed to be "for & about the children", but when BM hires a lawyer, he is there in HER interest. When DH hires a lawyer, he is there in HIS interest.

The GAL is there for the interest of the child(ren). Normally, they will meet with both parents, often the stepparents, sometimes other relatives, etc. & determine where they feel the best interest of the child lies & take it before the judge.

The purpose is to have a neutral party look at the situation, & it helps keep children from having to testify against either parent.

Even though our judge ordered against what the GAL recommended, I felt it was a good thing to have her there to represent the kids.