You are here

Laugh with me, not at me....

Silent River's picture

So, went to pool with SD, SGB and YSD...and DH. He gets all photo happy with his ipad. Some of the photos are cute but he likes to pick on me with it because I do not like pictures of myself. He teases (and never even "close to" knows when enough is enough). To make a long story short, we get home and later that evening I am watching TV and I hear him and older SD discussing pics and posting them on facebook. Suddenly DH and SD bust out laughing so hard I thought they were gonna lay eggs. I asked them "What is so funny?" no answer, just uncontrolled laughter. I ask again and still no answer so I get up and go see what is on the Ipad. It was a stupid picture of me. I was the center of their obnoxious laughter. It was very hard not to take it wrong so I said, don't laugh at me, laugh with me. They said "We are" and I said "I am not laughing..."
I already do not like pics of myself and on top of that I do not think it is funny when people laugh at other people for the way they look. My sister has a birthmark on her face and my son has a skin condition and believe me, people say some very stupid and ignorant things, so I am a little on the sensitive side on this type of stuff. Do you think I am being overly sensitive??? When answering this, remember to consider the fact that my husband does not know when to quit on just your normal standerd teasing. He loves a good reaction... Sad

AllySkoo's picture

HELL NO, you are not being "overly sensitive". You do not engage in mean-spirited teasing of someone you love. Teasing designed to make the other person laugh? Cool. Teasing designed to make YOU laugh at the other person's expense? SO not cool. He shouldn't even start that crap, let alone not know when to stop!

moeilijk's picture

So the choices are that either you're oversensitive or DH and SD were being unkind.

Or maybe, since they know that you're oversensitive, DH and SD were being really, really unkind.

Sweet Olive's picture

They were being jerks. I'd post unflattering pics of them on FB, see how they like it. Bullies.

Jsmom's picture

Sounds like a jerk. DH always asks me to look at the pic to see if I approve. Most I don't since I hate pics of me. I am very sensitive to what goes on Facebook.

QueenBeau's picture

I don't think you're being too sensitive. I'm a joker, I joke all the dag on time & can laugh at myself & others without feeling bad.

But my DH is not like that. He's more sensitive. So I don't pick on him cuz it bothers him. Now SD? That girl is tough as ever, & will pick on me & I will pick back on her & she will laugh & laugh & laugh. DH? Not so much. So I don't pick on him & neither does SD.

If your DH knows this about you he shouldn't be laughing at you. At least that's how I feel.

Drac0's picture

Silent river,

Do you have any shaving or whipping cream? They do have to sleep some time.

Just sayin....

Silent River's picture

I really wish there were a like button on ST. I really appreciate the support. DH really does take things too far but is the first to become sensitive in many other situations so it surprises me that he is not more sensitive on when a joke really is not a joke anymore. I think him and his daughter were having a mini wife bonding moment at my expense. I am really struggling with our marriage. I must have a 5 year limit or something. By itself, this might not be so bad but added to the other BS he has pulled...I do not see our family ever blending. It will always be mine and yours in the same house. You just can not mix oil and water. If anything ever happened to him, no way would I ever, ever remarry.

Thank you, everyone for the ear. Hugely appreciate you all.

Shaman29's picture

I come from a family of teasers. Some of us tease but know the line not to cross, or who is most sensitive or who is unable to laugh at themselves.

There are the majority of others though, that are cruel and if they cross the line and hurt you (not offend but really hurt your feelings) it's throw back onto you as though it is your fault.

Anyone that teases someone to hurt feelings or tears is not a nice person.

I'd have a little sit down with your H for being disrespectful and showing your SD that it's okay to treat you this way.