You are here

kind of random but...

serendipity's picture

just wondering how you would handle this situation.

SO and i are building a new house- he has two kids (8 and 10) and the house will have 4 bedrooms- we plan to have more kids together in the very near future. we did a walk through yesterday (the house is still bare bones) and we were discussing where the kids rooms would be- i mentioned i would like the one closest to the master bedroom be "saved" for a future nursery- he thought that was a good idea and had no issues with that. here is the thing- what do we say if one of his kids asks for that room? it is the third biggest (behind the master and one other bedroom)- do we tell them the truth? tell them we are saving it for a guest room? i really don't want the nursery talk getting back to the crazy BM and i don't really know how the kids would respond either. no sense causing trouble before we have to...

and thinking way down the line- what do you guys do as for sharing rooms? is it a problem bc the skids are only there every other weekend and your birth kids would be there 24/7. do you just put the same gender kids in the same room despite what could be a 10 year age gap? thanks for your help!

doll faced sm's picture

^Like.

When, exactly, did "because I said so" become such a taboo answer? I've seriously been given the stink eye for saying it.

lucky2bme87's picture

Your house, your rules. Just as Echo said, they need no explanation. They're lucky if they even get a room to themselves since they are only there EOW. If you have more than one child, oops looks like somebody's sharing a room!

Jsmom's picture

Don't explain anything. I agree with the guest room idea and if you should get lucky enough to have another child, then you tell them. Not before...

purpledaisies's picture

I agree with the others, you pick their rooms and say this is your room and this is your room. Honestly they are lucky to have their own rooms being they are only there eow. My skids all shared the same room for about 5 years. Of course all mine are boys. The last year ss15 moved into bs17 room with him. Now that dd moved to college bs will get her room and ss15 will stay in the old room however dh made the decision that he will turn that room into his man cave and told ss15 that he would have to move back into the room with the other boys. ss15 asked if he could still sleep in there on the couch so he said that was fine.

I say that b/c honestly if I were you if they are of the same sex I'd make them share a room but that is just me.

ladyfosho's picture

Maybe you can say, if the other rooms are farther away from the one you want to save and the master suite, that it is to give them more privacy. That is if you don't want to just say, "because we said so".