You are here

Kind of O/T.. Something DH said that hurt my feelings

christinen's picture

This for once has nothing to do with my SD, but I just wanted to get an opinion on this. DH and I were out at a bar last night and I was wearing a black sundress. He commented on how nice I looked and I definitely appreciated the compliment, but then he went ahead and compared it to how I "normally dress like an old lady." I don't think I dress like an old lady- I'm late 20s, I work in a corporate office so I have to wear suits or at the very least dress pants and dress shirt to work. On weekends or if we go out during the week, I dress normally I think. He said my shorts are long- why, because they cover my ass?? Sorry but I don't see any reason for someone's ass to be hanging out of their shorts. I am an adult, I'm married, will hopefully be a mother soon, and I have a real job. I am not walking around looking like a tramp. DH thinks I'm completely overreacting by being upset by what he said, but it just made me feel bad. Thanks for letting me vent!

LittlePanda's picture

Aw..men say dumb things sometimes. Maybe he just means that you don't usually dress so feminine with the dress and all.

christinen's picture

Right, I wear sundresses, shorts, low cut tops... I am not quite sure why he feels like I dress old lady-ish. I surely can't wear those types of clothes to work but we don't work together so what does he care what I wear to work. When we go out, I always try to dress nice. I guess I need to go on a shopping trip lol. It was just hard to hear. Thanks for the responses.

Onefootout's picture

He shouldn't have said you dress like an old lady. Some men can be stupid sometimes. I would have been pissed too. What a backhanded compliment!

katietome's picture

Oh man.... now see this is where my sense of humor gets me into trouble.

I would go to a thrift shop and find a rather inexpensive "old lady" outfit.

Schedule a "hot date" with him next weekend and meet him there wearing your "old lady" outfit.

THEN, tell me about the differences between what you normally wear and "old lady" clothing.

Thank him for the compliment from last week (the one from the black sun dress) and tell him next time NOT to add anything else to it.

Oh...and how can a sun dress be black..... wouldn't that be a "little black dress"?!?!?!?

Kate, who is totally jealous because I am unable to wear black because it makes me look even whiter than I am

sarah1980's picture

I would go out and buy a hooker out fit and tell him lets go somewhere ..tits hanging out ,ass hanging out, the biggest heels you can find,show all girl.....and see if he lets you out looking like that....and when he says something about it ....remind him of what he said.....That would be so funny to see....