You are here

kids sharing a room

ladybug1974's picture

HI is there a age where kids should not a share a room for sleeping on visits ? or is there no age ? thanks 

Someoneelse's picture

I shared a room with my sister until my brother moved out and created another room, so we were like 14 and 15... but we were the same sex, if I had to share a room with a brother, that would have been weird, but then again, if i did share a room with a brother, from the beginning, I would have been used to it. I say same gender, no age, they can share a room until one moves out. different gender, until puberty so about 12 or 13?

Stepdrama2020's picture

That is a bit of an age spread. Not great for bedtimes, studying for the older etc. BUT its doable. If you have no more rooms then it is what it is.

ladybug1974's picture

thats all we have is a 2 bedroom townhouse. i was just thinking mabye the couch would be better for the olderone ? 

lieutenant_dad's picture

Nope. The older one needs more privacy and quite time to study than the younger one. Plus, kids deserve a bed just like every other member of the household.

Someoneelse's picture

I would say they are fine to share a room, just tell the older kid if there is "hanky panky" going on, don't do it when the little one is home lol

Stepdrama2020's picture

Like above the same gender is fine if that is all the room you have.

Heck I shared a tiny room with 2 sisters. It worked. Except hiding your diary never worked LOL it was always found.

Is there conflict in the home for sharing? Skids, bios, genders, ages?

ladybug1974's picture

no conflick at all,, its just the older one stays up later on his phone and the younger one doesnt get his proper rest .. they stay over every other friday to sunday 

Stepdrama2020's picture

Can you have the older one not go to the bedroom until sleep time, so no phones in bed. It teaches the older one consideration. Luckily it isnt school nights, but its the weekend.

Esperanza's picture

I had my own room when growing up (only girl) all my brothers shared room (two in one room, the other two in another room). It was not a problem for them, sure sometimes they had arguments such as "turn off the light I want to sleep" "I'm reading !!!" Lol 

Rags's picture

My brother and I shared a room from the time I was 10-14. He was 4-8.  It was great.  We had a 3br home but mom and dad wanted us together. Our youngest brother had passed the year before so I think mom and dad wanted the security of knowing that the two of us were together.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with sibs sharing a room.

Though not a direct comparison, my parents home is the family hub.  There are plenty of rooms for every one to have their own room when they visit.  The GKs (my son 28,niece 27, nephew 24, nephew 19) all stay in the same room when we are all at mom and dad's for a clan call gathering.   

IMHO it is all determined by the parents of the kids.  Done right, it can establish extremely close live long sib relationships.  If the parents tolerate crap and do not demand respectful behavior toward each other by the kids, it can be a shit show.

notarelative's picture

we have is a 2 bedroom townhouse. i was just thinking mabye the couch would be better for the olderone ? 

This would be a problem causing solution to a non existent problem. Why would you tell someone that they have to sleep on the couch when an actual bed is available? It seems to me that would cause resentment. Plus, sleeping on the couch means that your access to that room is controlled by the child's sleeping schedule. The children are the same sex. They can and should share the one available bedroom.

ESMOD's picture

Two same sex siblings that are full siblings?  They can share as long as it is logistically needed.. ie.. there is only one room available for kid's quarters.. then the two boys share "forever".  It is a worse option to shuttle one to the couch.  I mean, if it is possible to afford a larger home.. fine.. but if this is what you have.. sharing it is.  

As an aside, I know a family where the father is very well off (seriously well off).  and his sons all shared a room until they went to college.  It was not a tiny room or anything.. but their father was raised that way.. and so was his father.. and he liked the bond it created so he ensured his sons did the same.  They could have well afforded each to have their own room.. shoot.. could have built a house for each one.. but he had them share. 

I believe children should have a "room"  but they may have to share that room.. 

Nothing like a couch at visitation time to drive home that you aren't part of the family.