You are here

Kids seeing violence

SittingPretty's picture

So this isn’t related to my SKs but I’m wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation?

I have a daughter who I share with my ex. She’s been coming home more and more upset recently. My ex (who is a piece of work) has been beating his dog regularly in front of her. He’s also been using biting and pinching as a form of punishment on her younger half brother (a toddler). I’m certain he’s smoking pot in the house, and driving high (with the kids in the car). The mother of the little boy finally wised up and left him and he’s the only person in the house with these two little kids, which worries me constantly.

I had a long and horrible custody battle when I called out his violence and drug problems and it made no difference to the custody he got. So while I would like to act on this info I’m worried that:

A) it will make absolutely no difference in the custody he has of either of his kids.

Dirol It will come back and bite my daughter as she is the only person who could have relayed this information. 

I feel horrible for this little boy, as I feel like this is abuse. I also think it’s emotional abuse for my daughter to have to witness these things. 

Rags's picture

Call CPS and file an anonymous complaint. Let CPS know that your daughter is at extreme risk since she is the only one who has witnessed this animal abuse and abuse of the baby.  Keep in mind that animal abuse is now a federal crime so this could be more than just a state crime for XH to deal with.

You may want to have DD speak her Pediatrician,  her school counselor or even get her a therapist to work with regarding her being regularly upset.  All are mandatory reporters and must by law report any suspicion of abuse to CPS.

That takes you out of it and DD can tell daddy that she was talking ot her therapist, Doc or school counselor about how upset she is. They asked about what was making her upset and she told a trusted adult.

SittingPretty's picture

Rags I didn’t realize that a school counselor is a mandatory informer. That is really good advice, thank you for taking the time to reply. Smile

Disneyfan's picture

While school personnel are mandated reports, I think it's disgustingto manipulate the school into doing somethingthe parent won't do.

New York passed a law 2 years ago that allows victims of false CPS clsims to sue the reporter.  This new law includes teachers.  Two teachers in my district have lost their jobs as a result of the new law.  

If you truly believe that your child is in danger, make the call yourself.

Swim_Mom's picture

Please please please call and report the abuse to the poor dog. That is horrifying.

SteppedOut's picture

If you think he is stoned and driving, call and report an impaired driver with small children in the car. Let him get pulled over. 

BethAnne's picture

I would contact the boy’s mother along with the suggestions above. She deserves to know what is going on too.