You are here

just got married Friday

emilysma's picture

During our reception the oldest SD gave a speech it started with 2 years ago my mom died....I clenched my teeth and looked towards a table of friends I can not tell you much of what was said after that because I was furious...why did she have to mention her mom's death on the wedding day (just to make a point I know)....the speech did end with how I have brighten her dad up and made him happy. To be honest I don't believe that part one bit. Then my BF and her husband was staying with us (it was a day or two later) and as the SD left to go to her Aunt's house announced they were celebrating BM birthday and just said "BYE DAD" so my BF an Hubby said BYE back to her. I think I am in for a long long road. My SD are 22 and 25 the oldest still lives at home. Me and My husband are only living together on the weekends because of the 45 minutes driving distance and work. until spring when his house goes up for sale and he moves down with me. Of course SD thinks he is throwing her out of the house. Any suggestions please!!!

dontcallmestepmom's picture

Oh boy. I was married 3 weeks ago. My DH has 3 young adults-19,20,23. They were not invited to the wedding, nor they did know any details. They are awful to him and me, and it just gets worse. The boards on here are full of people with adult steps who are dealing with many issues.

The only thing that will make your marriage work is that your DH MUST be supportive of you at all times. If he is guilty or feels bad, things can get really ugly really fast.

It was entirely inappropriate for his daughter to mention her mother during the speech. What other things have his kids said and done to you?

Where is his daughter going to live when he sells the house? DO NOT LET HER MOVE IN. That will be the worst thing you can do. My DH's kids have tried that, and there is no way it will ever happen, for many reasons.

This site will be very helpful to you. I hope that your DH is a strong man who does not allow his children to control him.

emilysma's picture

My husband's father in law got married 4 months after his wife died secretly and all 3 of his girls were upset and so we promised the SK we would not do that and they had the option to attend or not. She would not move this far south 45 minutes so no chance of her moving here. She has been going around about her father selling and her being homeless so her friend (aka adoptive mommy, aunt and another friend has offered her places and said something to us about it)

emilysma's picture

His oldest 25 is rude she will say to her dad and not me. For instance on Saturday (we were married on Friday) my BF and her hubby were there since they are from Seattle she said "bye Dad" so of course my BF and hubby said "Bye Erica" they rose to the occasion. Lets see well on facebook some stuff but I blocked them and anyone they are related to or friends with. I have been accused, convicted of keeping their dad from them when he moves down with me. I finally said to my Husband and others I guess they do not know him very well because he would not stop seeing his girls. Our first date was cancelled because he has to take his then 20 year old someplace (no she did not drive and still does not)

RedWingsFan's picture

CONGRATULATIONS! Yes, totally inappropriate for her to give that type of speech at your wedding and you have every right to feel the way you do.

Good luck and just remember, your marriage is your top priority. Smile

ocs's picture

Congratulations on your wedding!

Very inappropriate speech... It would have really hurt my feelings too. Is your husband supportive of your feelings?

Does the 25yr old go to school fulltime or something? What would prevent her from moving out?

emilysma's picture

We really have not talked about the speech. Unfortunately he is on 7 days a week so I have not see much of him. And last night we were suppose to have a quiet dinner just the two of us and he got called back to work for about 3 hours. So he came home ate, fell sound asleep. So I really won't get a chance to see him until Friday. We live separate during the week because we live 45 minutes away and he is on 10 hours and 2 of my 5 are 12 hour days. I am not comfortable being at his house when he is not there. the 25 SD should finish her paralegal degree this December. She took a couple of semesters off and worked full time. Prevent her from moving out....she prevents herself. she has it made pays nothing. Why would she. She spends her money eating out because BM never taught either of them to cook and they are the most picky eaters and refuse to eat left overs

emilysma's picture

Asking questions of their mom....that would blow them out of the water. I and I believe their father figures that once the house sells reality will set in. He stated that he has no ties or sentimental ties to the house. He is not bringing any major item to our my house or to the one will buy or build. Trust me their house is covered with photos of the BM (as he said Erica's put most of them up)

just tired's picture

^^^^ THIS!!! You have to perfect the wide-eyed innocent look to accompany your questions. You can puke later when the SDs are not around!