You are here

Job Corps - a solution for 16-24 year olds who fail to launch

Shieldmaiden's picture

A coworker just told me about Job Corps. If your skid qualifies for the low income bracket, you can get it paid for. Basically your 16-24 year old can get job training for 2 years, plus a place to live that is structured (dormitory) and does not tolerate drug use or violence. They have many different "majors" that include accounting, culinary school, and the construction trades. It includes food/shelter, so I am keeping this as a an idea to present as an alternative for my stepkids who think they are going to ride my couch for the rest of their lives. Woot woot!  I just wanted to share this, in case it might help someone out. 

Rags's picture

UCMJ to make poor decisions decidely more unpleasant than just a Grey Hound trip home.  For thousands of years the military has honed amazing skills at motivating young people to in very short order become contributing participants in something larger than themselves.

Non conformity really isnt an optiom once a enlistee signs on the doted line. The Job Corps has a far easier exit process.  

My SS has thrived in his USAF career.  Though we did have to invoke the burning platform model to get him to launch.  He will be 30 in a few months and has been in 11+ years. He enlisted at 18.   He is on the career track and will retire from the USAF at ~38 about the time I retire at nearly 68.