You are here

It Is Almost Time For Summer Visitation...Dang!

mizcece's picture

Well, my peace and joy is about to fade away! My SD12 will be visiting for the ENTIRE summer soon. Oh, I absolutely dread the idea. Fortunately, I work from home so therefore she will not be here with me during the work while DH is at work. Smile I am bracing myself because all hell breaks loose when that kid arrives. Sad

RedWingsFan's picture

Oh that sucks! I was afraid that DH would end up getting Stepdevil14 all summer too (even though we live in a 1 bdrm apt and have MY DD15 for most of the summer). I can't imagine having to deal with her all summer long.

I wish you the best. If you can't get along with her, maybe you can just find other things to do while she's there? Take up a new hobby? Perhaps meet some girlfriends after work for dinner or a few cocktails? I know this helped me when SD14 was still visiting. I just avoided going home when I knew she'd be there, or I'd make plans on the weekends I knew she was coming over.

Good luck and remember - we're here for you!

PeanutandSons's picture

Think of it as a public service. You are giving the step parent on the other side a much needed break. I live for summers without the skids. Being the custodial stepparent sucks monkey balls.

step off already's picture

YES! I can't wait till summer when SS13 will be going to visit BM every other two weeks for half of the summer.

CrazyWithConfusion's picture

Support from DH. That must be what gets a person through. I wouldn't know from experience though.

TASHA1983's picture

Honestly, that is what makes these God awful step-situations work! When your SO backs you up and puts you and your marriage/relationship #1 everything makes it worth it....eventhough it still sucks ass to put up with loser BM, brat skids, and financial depletion on a regular basis if it wasn't for our men having our backs and setting these bm & skids straight it WOULDN'T be worth it to be with a man with kids. EVER!!!

icehockey101's picture

I know how you feel. SS14 is supposed to visit for the entire summer. But, BM is getting married in July so we are sending him home early. He will be here for 5 weeks - and the first week of that will be at MIL's house, and will will go there to pick him up. Seriously thinking of asking my Dr for some anxiety meds while he is here. It would be a lot easier to completely disengage / retreat if I didn't have bio kids!

SMof2Girls's picture

I'm grateful I actually like my skids and look forward to their summers at our home. They're well-behaved and disciplined .. so it makes doing fun things and rewarding them easy.

I always struggle with rewarding kids with activities, sports, or vacations when they're generally bad kids .. it's even harder to avoid during summer months when it's fun for everyone to do those things.

In the summer, I just look forward to having the skids full time without BM breathing down our necks at every turn.

icehockey101's picture

I agree... aside from the trip to MIL's to get SS14, all our vacation, fun activities are planned for once SS has gone back to BM. Including a couple of days away at a B&B for DH & I! }:)