You are here

Insurance

Momof6WI's picture

Just looking for a little feedback on how insurance is done with other blended families who have 50/50 living arrangements.  We are getting married May 31st and we have been talking about how we will handle the insurance. The BM does not have insurance for the kids. So my fiancé has always had the children on his. My children are on mine. I have a great job with benefits, and my insurance would be the best route financially for us to go. We would be saving A LOT of money. However- cue concern lol. Would I then be guarantor and the bills would come to me because I hold the insurance? If idiot BM takes one of the children to the ER for a stomach ache. Which she has done before- that bill will be mailed to me? Obviously I will check with my insurance company I just done want to sound like a complete tool when I call. Lol. 

Has anyone dealt with this? Just looking for some feedback! :) 

lieutenant_dad's picture

Check with your insurance company. In this case, you would likely be the subscriber, not the guarantor. My understanding is that the bill would go to the parent who signed off on the care, and the bill would be paid to the healthcare provider for whatever is not covered by insurance. Now, if BM doesn't pay the bill, your DH may be required to pay it. But again, the money will go to the healthcare provider, not the insurance company.

ETA: All this said, your FH will need to make it VERY clear to the SK's doctors that you are not the guarantor, only the subscriber. He may need to fill out additional paperwork to set himself as guarantor and not you. It's possible for a healthcare provider to assume you're the guarantor because they don't differentiate between guarantor and subscriber on basic intake forms, so if an issue arises, you'd need to contact the healthcare provider in question to switch the guarantor, and possibly sue BM for the money you paid that wasn't your responsibility.

A simpler option may be for your FH to continue to pay for insurance for his kids separately and split the insurance premium and bills with BM. That also isn't without its own headache.

Or, not your kids, not your problem. Your FH needs to figure it out and leave you out of it to protect you.

Momof6WI's picture

Thanks for all the helpful feedback! My fh understands my concerns over it, and he's fine with whatever we decide to do. My ex I haven't had any issues with when it comes to healthcare. He pays for half of the premiums, it's what we agreed upon and we split the bills for the kids. So far no issue there. My fh has gotten bills from the doctors office that he didn't know about which ended up being "so and so had a tummy ache". "He had a stuffy nose". And yeah, I just want to make sure my ass is covered since she's an idiot. 

Thefatherismyfamily's picture

The amount of money you might save by putting them all one insurance plan is not worth the headache. Also don't completely blend finances and assets with him and his kids until you've lived together for three years. You never know what will happen and you don't want to be stuck footing the bill for anything.

Rags's picture

It depends.  I always provided the health insurance for my DW and SS.  Except for a brief period after I was RIF'd in the semiconductor industry implosion in the early 00s.

At a time when I provided insurance SS got a rusty fishhook in his thigh during a SpermLand visitation.  After much drama and several contentious phone calls SpermGrandHag finally took SS to the ER.  She signed me as the repsonsible party.  Though I battled with the hosptital and the SpermClan over that crap.  Since I carried the insurance. I was ultimately responsible for the outstanding balance.  Since my DW and and I are partners, it was our responsibility.

Other than the usual manipultive toxic crap perpetrated by the SpermClan, it was really not a problem. Must irritating that they were able to pawn it all off on us.