You are here

I'm totally different as a mom than I've been as a stepmom...

sunshinex's picture

Now that I have a baby, I find I'm totally different as a mom than I was as a stepmom. For those who don't know, my SD5 lives with us full-time. I've been in her life for 3 years. Her BM is involved when she feels like it. At the beginning of our relationship, I preferred to be "dads girlfriend" as opposed to "stepmom" but since marrying a year ago, I've been a lot more involved in parenting her. About 3 months ago, we had an ours baby.

I'm entirely dedicated to treating them the same as I want them to have a good relationship. I obviously don't have the same love for my SD5 as I do my son, but I fake it as much as possible. In all honestly, I wish I had it simpler (IE I wish I either truly felt that love for her t or I wish she wasn't living with us) but it is what it is. But here's the thing... I'm worried about the future and people seeing double standards.

My husband really pushed me to parent SD5, which resulted in me being not so patient with her. I never really got to bond properly so I never liked her sleeping in our bed when she had bad dreams, I never spent much time teaching her to read or write, just a lot of the things bioparents do with their kids, I didn't do with her because I wasn't comfortable or bonded enough.

Now that I have my son, I know I'm going to be totally different... I'm very attached to him and look forward to teaching him, cuddling him, spending time with him, etc. And although I've tried to do more with my SD5 now that I've realized this, I'm not sure if I can be totally fair. I feel awful that I don't naturally feel "parental" towards her but I just don't.

I guess I'm looking for feedback... Am I wrong for feeling this way? How can I make it more fair? Or how can I feel more comfortable and happy doing things with/for my SD5? especially now that I have a baby around who I want to spent time with. Sometimes I slightly resent taking time from him for her, but I try my best. And again, I want to stress, I'm really trying here. Just struggling with a lot of emotions.

momjeans's picture

I totally get the feelings of resentment in regards to time and attention.

I heavily lean towards attachment parenting. I was that way with my 23 year old son when he was an infant/toddler. Forming a strong bond through healthy, attentive attachment is just the way I mother.

In the beginning with skid, when she was young, I felt I had a lot to offer her in way of a healthy and loving relationship, until BM ruined that and NO ONE stood-up for me. It was at that point I knew I would never love, care, or be motherly to her the way I am to my bios.

fairyo's picture

You gave birth three months ago- those post-birth hormones may still be trying to adjust so no wonder you are struggling with your emotions.
Your emotions and feelings are valid- so you can't be right or wrong about them, accept what they are. Your SD is your DH's child,not yours. You may have to support him in practical ways but you cannot 'pretend' to have feelings you don't. I would relax, try not to be something you aren't but be more honest about what you are. And enjoy being a new mum-it won't last long!

advice.only2's picture

Not only is it natural what you are feeling, but it's normal also. Unfortunately society assumes that women should have natural maternal instincts towards children, and that's not really true.

sunshinex's picture

I lean towards attachment parenting with my baby, too, but of course I've never done that with SD. I'm just worried as he gets older, DH/SD will get upset because "you never did that with SD!" about everything...

secret's picture

1) She wasn't a newborn/baby when you met her - she was a toddler. A walking talking terror. Of COURSE you didn't wear her in a sling etc.

2) She could likely already feed herself and already had likes/dislikes. Obviously you're not going to spend as much time encouraging eating etc.

3) She is a female, yours is male. As simple as that difference is, it DOES make a lot of difference, even in bios. There were many differences for me between my son and my girls.

4) If he says "you never did that with SD!" your response can be.... "so? I learned a lot about myself while helping to raise SD, and NOW I know that I prefer to do it THIS way... every child is different and go through different experiences, though they are both loved the same"

5) There are 5 years difference between the 2. There are 6 years difference between my brother and I... and I don't remember anything that was "different" until I was much older - like, 13... 14... 16... and saw that the things I had to do at those times, like empty the dishwasher, curfew, tangible personal wants/distaste, were not the same. While I had a curfew at 14, my brother did not. I was 20 at the time, and THAT is when I was annoyed that I had one back then and he didn't. I had chores around the house at 12, 13, 14, and he didn't. I wasn't upset about that until HE was 12, 13, 14 with no chores.

6) SO will treat your son differently, too. He's a man's BOY. It's psychologically different. He'll see.

sunshinex's picture

Well I'm glad to know it's normal, but is it unfair to SD? Should I be doing those things for/with her, too? My husband and I have agreed to treat them equally but I've prewarned him that I will likely be more affectionate with my own and that's exactly what's happened. I just feel bad for SD because her mom sucks and doesn't do those things...

Loxy's picture

You’re feelings are perfectly normal. I’ve been a SM now for 10 years to SS12 and SS11 so I’ve raised my skids (equal custody with BM) since they were both in nappies. Both view me as their third parent; however I’ve just never been able to bond with my SD.

In the beginning I faked everything with regards to my interactions with the skids. While I was drowning in resentment and there intrusion in my life, I was actively involved in their raising and showing them a lot of care and attention.

Eventually (and it took a very long time) I got there with my stepson – not in the way I imagine a bio parent loves their child but I do love him, he’s a nice kid. But I just never got there with my SD – in fact the older she gets the less I like her. I feel constantly guilty about lying to her ie telling her I love her when I don’t even like her and pretending to care when she talks and hugging her when I don’t want to be anywhere near here but there’s just nothing I can do about it. You can’t make yourself like someone that you just don’t like.

And here’s the thing, the older kids get the more they know whether you’re being genuine. My SD has accused me many times of favouring her brother and being overly critical of her and she’s right. I much prefer her brother and I can’t stand the way she acts – everything about her irritates me and clashes with the traits I value in people. As a result, we have more friction these days but we are also having more honest conversations as well.

The thing about kids better understanding if you’re genuine is by this point they can also better understand the role they play. So I now focus on explaining to my SD how different her and I are and when two people have a clash of values (as her and I do) it requires compromise on both sides to get along. Some of this is slowly getting through I think as she has made some very small changes to her behaviour to accommodate my views. It’s baby steps for now and I know that there is plenty more friction to come with the teenage years. I also know that I’ll probably never like her much as she just has far too many traits I find abhorrent (she’s just like BM) but I’ll keep on trying and there will be good days and bad days.

I’m due to have a baby boy in June this year (my first and only child given it took 7 horrible years of trying to get here) so I’m interested to see how the new addition to our blended family impacts the dynamics. So far the skids are really exciting so I’m hoping for the best.

moeilijk's picture

Hmm. Interesting dilemma.

A few thoughts:

Over here in NL, kids are not taught to read until age 6. Some kids are probably interested and can learn some stuff earlier, but if they aren't, they aren't pushed. So the spending time teaching SD to read and write is not really something that I, personally, would care about at all. And when BS reaches the same age as SD is now, who knows what he'll be interested in! It's really not worth it to push kids into doing stuff they aren't interested in or ready for, beyond the next reasonable step (like of course you teach table manners, but you don't start out having tea with the Queen of England, you start out discouraging playing with food and wait for them to have teeth before asking them to chew, you know?!)

Parents don't love their own biokids equally, and it's a pretty dumb parent (IMO) who tries to treat all their children equally. Kids aren't equal. If you gave birth to triplets, one with Down Syndrome, one with autism, and one gifted, would you even consider trying to treat them exactly the same? So add in the fact that you are not the mom of SD, that you met her when you were younger and she was already a toddler, that you are not who you were then and when BS is her age you will not be who you are now either.... give up. Treat them as you think is best, according to their needs and yours.

I am totally bonded with my BD. She doesn't sleep in our bed when she has bad dreams. There is very little connection between loving someone and specific parenting practices or choices. It's all a balance between who you are and who the child is, and not about love.

I love my BD, and that is why I am patient with her. It is hard work, but that's the parent she needs.

It's great that your DH supports you being a parental figure to SD, but maybe you need to do that on your own terms. Maybe you just need to develop your own sense of yourself as a parent rather than following your DH's 'pushes'.

Personally, I'd just have basic limits for now anyway. With a new baby, there's enough going on for you atm.

Steptococci's picture

Sunshine- I've followed your posts for a long time and can definitely relate, though we don't have SD full time (rather 50%) and am often so relieved about that... because like you, I've beaten myself up over this feeling. Your situation seems heightened by the fact that your SD has an absentee biomom. I have to say, you've been nearly heroic in your care for your stepdaughter. Your actions show love even if you don't feel it (or not in the way you feel it now for your son.)

In our situation BM is controlling and involved, doting, spoiling even, and acts like SD's best friend, so it is so baffling to me in a way that SD still seems to crave maternal love from me. SD's quick to dismiss me if mom's around or offering something better. But she still seems to want reassurance that I love her the same as my other two, she still wants my full attention when she's here. When she has a day off school and I'm off work (if DH is working) she wants me to ditch them at daycare and do "special" things with her. She reminisces about the "good old times" when it was "just the 3 of us,"- her, DH and me- prior to us having kids. I guess this is just how it is - kids wanting adult affection and attention? She's 10 and I've known her since she was 3. She was coddled and babied so I figured her attention seeking was sort of just immaturity and the way she'd been parented through a divorce. But maybe this is just the way a child relates to an adult who has some power in her life. Sometimes I get frustrated that she costs me so much more than she gives back. But it was never her job to give anything to me. Maybe your SD realizes how significant you are in her life- so she jockeys for position to try to remain in your good graces, if anything out of self-preservation, if not out of genuine affection and love for you?

Partly I just think having your own kids after being a stepmom is so much more exponentially rewarding that it's hard not to contrast the experiences. In my experience this is not just "postpartum hormones" - our kids are 3 and 2 now- the feeling doesn't change a lot.

The feelings you describe, of actually looking forward to spending quality time teaching your child something, cuddling them when they're sick, or waking up at night with them - those get stronger the older your child gets. I feel not only obligation but also excitement, joy, contentment when I do those things with my little ones. Unfortunately those feelings never come with SD though I try to remain present and involved and appearing interested in spending time with her. She is a good kid, it just doesn't "do anything" for me, the parenting of her. I truly wish I felt some genuine joy in her presence. It's really hard pretending. It would be super hard never to have a break from that.

I agree that you can't show your son less love or affection just to spare SDs feelings. You have to keep on keeping on- love your son the way that feels natural and continue making an effort to love your SD the way she'd like to be/needs to be loved. You're not wrong for feeling the way you do. You're a mother to one of your children, and a stepmother to the other. Apples and oranges. Also, I know stepparents who claim to love their skids and bios equally but at this point I believe that has more to do with temperament and luck than anything else. I've met friends of SD's who I could absolutely fall in love with- because I love their personalities. Meanwhile my good friend has a stepson I don't think I could ever love- she struggles with it too- he's just weird and hard to like. What can you do?

Just wanted you to know someone out here knows exactly what you're struggling with and thinks you're doing a great job.

sunshinex's picture

Thank you for this. I definitely teared up reading it. It's nice to know someone thinks I'm doing a good job, regardless of not being able to love her the same. I might not love her neccesarily, but I care about her and I think every single day how much it's going to hurt her one day thinking she wasn't enough for a mother to love. We all know there's nothing quite like a mother's love and mother's are supposed to be there no matter what. I can't imagine being abandoned by mine.

But I do think you're right. I think children just want adult affection and attention from those around them. I don't think she wants it out of genuine love for me, per say, because she really loves her mom. I think it's more to protect herself and keep some type of mother figure in her life, because she knows she doesn't have it without me. It's heart breaking. I wish I could feel those things genuinely for her.

I've always tried to remind myself that it's not my guilt to feel - it's DH and BMs. But society does tend to tell SMs, especially SMs in positions where BM is absent, that it's our job to make up for it. Anyways, thanks a ton for this. It makes me feel a lot better. I'll keep doing my best to treat her well.

Steptococci's picture

Oh I absolutely think you're right society tells us that we're failing if we're not loving these children like our own, even in the worst situations. For various reasons, I really don't think stepdads are under the same pressure.

My DH and I have been going to therapy to talk about it a bit. It's helpful that he's starting to see that his expectation that I would want to be his little girl's mom just because she's part of my life was just insane right from the start. It diminishes the significance of her mom's role in her life (or the role of a mother in general) and assumed SD even wanted daddy's girlfriend/wife to replace mommy- when of course she never did. Maybe what would be healthiest for your SD is to be able to grieve the loss of her mom somewhat- since you're right, nothing and NO ONE can replace that. And no one, not you especially- can heal that wound for her. Her mother essentially abandoned her and that is heartbreaking for sure.

Some day when she's older, she'll remember you taking good care of her. No you may never love her like your own, and she'll probably always long for and forgive mommy for everything- and probably even make you the scapegoat of all her problems- and then maybe when she's a bit older mommy will come back and start behaving more like a parent, then SD could drop you all like a bad habit... who knows... it's the burden she bears. It's really not your loss.

You will always be there for your son, and it sounds as if your stepdaughter isn't going to know much of a time when you weren't in her life, raising her, there for her. That has a lot of value.

But- if you could build in some breaks from her and also some 1:1 time with your boy so you don't miss out on those special moments that would probably be really helpful.

When our 2nd child was born, I was in the hospital for several days bc of a c-section and that he was in the NICU- our daughter was only 16 months old then- the pregnancy with my son was rough, I had been sick and having heart problems and it was all around a scary and stressful time since he wasn't doing so well w/ his health either- and my whole family came to see me in the hospital one night after I'd been there 3-4 days already.

DH brought SD too- and I remember being so sad that she was there- she was hogging the spotlight and getting in my business, competing with DD and talking incessantly. It wasn't that I didn't want to see her, it was that I wanted to experience the emotions I was having without the obligation to be careful or fake it for her sake. I wanted to hug my little girl who was about to be a big sister and had only been my baby for a year. I wanted to squeeze my little one and tell her how much I missed putting her to bed at night and how sad I was that I couldn't lift her for 6 weeks.

I asked my parents to bring my daughter back later alone so that I could just be with her, without SD's presence. It seemed like an awful thing to do at the time in a way- but sometimes we stepmoms have to be so good at protecting everyone else's feelings that we ignore our own completely. It is 100% natural to want to cherish moments with your child for all they're worth. Don't miss out on them for SD's sake.

Big hugs to you.

SuperStep's picture

What I wouldn't have given for the opportunity to be accepted as a "parent" for my SS's who are now 17 & 19. I've lost total interest in being part of this mix. Having kids of my own just wasn't in the cards. Plus when (if) they get married, have kids... I'll be at the back of the line again. I'll be more of a grand-parent to my nieces kids I think. What a wonderful world. Crapshoot.