You are here

If you live near your step kids, what is your custody schedule with them?

Focusonthepos's picture

Just wondering how our schedule compares to others. We live about 15 minutes from BM and have SD12 and SS10:

1) Every Sunday 12 PM-8:30 or 9 PM

2) Every Thursday around 4:30-8:30 or 9 PM. 

3) Every other Saturday from 12-PM into Sunday (2 sleepovers a month which are a day and a half in length). 

4) every summer- 4 weeks (can't be consecutive) and most regularly scheduled days unless they are on vacation with BM.

hereiam's picture

We always lived at least 30 minutes away from BM, about 45 minutes the first few years. We had my SD every other weekend, Friday night at 6:00 until Sunday at 6:00. I think DH was supposed to also have every other Wednesday for about 4 hours in the evening but for some reason, it never happened.

Summer schedule stayed the same, except DH would take some days off of work and SD would stay for long weekends or whatever.

CastleJJ's picture

Single day visits only help BM... because they aren't overnights so they don't count in your favor toward the CS amount, meaning that BM still gets CS for those days that you provide care. So you are only counting 2 overnights per month/12 overnights per year toward the CS calculation, giving BM max CS. You schedule sounds like a real pain in the butt. These kids are definitely old enough to have more overnight contact with their Dad. Who came up with this arrangement - BM and DH in mediation or a judge?

We are on a long distance schedule, so my advice really doesn't help, but I know a lot of people do one weeknight overnight like Wednesdays from after school until school starts the next morning and then every other weekend from Friday evening to Sunday evening. I also know a lot of people do week on/week off in the summer. If they don't want week on/week off, they can do two weeks on/two weeks off or split the summer in half and do half/half. 

Rags's picture

These F'd up schedules would never happen in my world if I was the NCP.  In this schedule I would decline all but the EOWE visitation when I had Sat and Sun.  As the NCP, your DH can decline any visitation she chooses to decline.  I would not give the BM every other weekend off and half of the intermediate weekend off. Nope, the CP has no choice but to continue to care for the Skid if the NCP declines visitation.

My DW was the CP under the CO we lived under for 16+ years when SS-29 was a minor (2-18).  The SpermClan had 7 weeks of long distance visitation.  5Wks summer, 1Wk winter, 1 Wk spring. They also had 10 days in the fall that had to be taken in our location on the proviso that SS could not miss school.  They never took it.

The one advantage that the NCP holds is the ability to decline visitation. The CP does not have the ability to stop being the CP, even if the NCP declines.

Your DH has the ability to establish an EOWE visitation schedule.  As he is your mate... so do you.

ndc's picture

We live 5 minutes from BM (although we live in different school districts; skids attend school in our district). We have a 2/2/5/5 schedule.  We have MT, BM has WR, we alternate FSSu. Exchanges occur at the bus stop in front of our house during the school year. Skids are girls ages 6 and 8.

Dogmom1321's picture

When we got the custody order, judge said pick ups/drop offs needed to be kept to a minimum because of High Conflict.

Judge decided switch on Friday afternoons from school. One week at Dad's (Friday - Friday), then one week at Mom's. They can opt for 2 week on'off weeks during the summer. They alternate Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring Break. 

Loxy's picture

What a weird schedule. No sure where you are based - the US I'm guessing? However, in Australia the forumla for child support payments (CS) is formulated around nights so if you are having your skids for two afternoons but not those nights then that sounds like something BM has engineered to get my CS. My skids BM did the same, initial custody after the split was 6 nights per fortnight for DH and 8 for BM. That extra night was every second Sunday where we would bath and feed the kids and they would go back right before bed time so all BM had to do was put them to bed and for that the CSA (Child Support Agency Australia) deemed we had to pay an extra $150 per fortnight. It took us years of fighting and then mediation to force BM to agree to equal custody. Which is why I always advise any man in a split to go for equal custody upfront as opposed to building up to it over time as otherwise it just encouages the BM to hang onto the original custody arrangement to maximise CS payments. 

Now we have 50/50 but split it up weirdly, we have them every Wednesday and Thursday night and every second weekend through to the Monday morning. Not our choice - we want week about but another thing BM dug her heels in about and even through she agreed to it in mediation, she never followed through and it's not worth our time or money going to court over it. The kids are old enough to change it to week about if they want but are so used to what we have they don't care. 

kalee's picture

We have no schedule. At first we did. The last few years it has been whatever works for BioMom. Now it is more whatever the kids want to do. This is hard for me because they could call to come over any time. I get anxious because I like to make sure I have enough food! and transiton days are hard.

CLove's picture

Although for tax purposes, so Toxic Troll can "claim child", its really 51/49.

Week on week off. Monday to Monday. So we get every other weekend completely skid free.

YAY us. We are about 5-10 minutes away from Toxic Troll BM, but she does drop off around 6:15 am because DH drops kid off to school and picks kid up from school every week day. Bm does NO transport of kid for school, although she will in october lol.