You are here

If something doesn't change soon then I'm leaving....

snowdrop's picture

I am miserable.

I hate skids. Ok, I don't actually hate them. They are fairly decent kids. But I don't like having them in my life. I don't like seeing them, dealing with them, teaching them, caring for them, being woken up by them, reminding them to do things, EVERY SINGLE DAY. Every spare moment is impacted by them. I cannot relax in my own home, EVER. They swarm me like bees.

Sending them to live with BM isn't an option in my DH's eyes. She's a deadbeat, horrible mother. So I get it, though I think they would survive with her and that BM would "step up" and take care of them if she had to, at least for a period of time. DH is all worried about them getting "messed up" by her. But they are already "messed up" by her genetics and the impact of her ongoing neglect and mistreatment on visits. It's not "saving them" greatly by having them here. But it is ruining our relationship and making me miserable (And DH miserable too I think, though he won't say that outright).

DH has been talking about applying for CS for months, it will be a battle to get it. He's dragging his feet. It takes prep-work such as filing his taxes which he hasn't done. I feel like that might make it at least a little better because a little bit of CS would help our budget be less tight and allow us a couple hundred dollars more a month to afford a bigger house. (right now we live in a SMALL three bedroom/ one bathroom, one floor house for 5 of us). I hear the skids all the time, there's no privacy, no peace. I can't even take a bath or use the bathroom when I need to. I try to get out of the house when I can, but sometimes I get sick of always having to leave my own home. And sometimes I have to be here-- like on holidays when things are closed, or to sleep. I can't even sleep without getting woken up by them. I can't wake up to take my dog out without being bombarded by them first thing in the morning.... Weeknights, weekends, ever day is dominated by them. I've never been so miserable in my own space and life.

I can't stand this life. I hate it. Maybe the CS would make things just a little bit better and maybe that would be enough, maybe not. I'm ready to leave. If something big doesn't change in two months I'm getting my own apartment.

I asked DH about the CS today, a few months ago he said he would apply this month for it. He's made no steps towards getting it done. It looks like this will be our lives indefinitely, and I am not resigning myself to a mediocre marriage and miserable life. No way.

On a different note, DH is going on a trip with the guys next month (I Agreed to watch the kids) and then this weekend he spent hundreds of dollars on outdoor gear, where is all that money coming from? our current budget doesn't provide him with that much money.... I know that much.

Megan Wilson's picture

I can not offer advice , as I am in the same boat, but only we set the separation date already.

I just want you to know that from my experience , you will tolerate until you can, and then you will not be able any more. When this moment comes: no love, no house will matter any longer. You will just reach the point that the only option for you will be to leave and have "normal" back to your day -to-day. I believe we all have different level of tolerance and how much and how long we can take...I tried for 6 month after my SD moved in...and now I am done.

I hope you can hold on longer and something will change hopefully...it is very hard to be happy in step family. Hugs and hold on....

snowdrop's picture

Thanks ladies, I think I've hit that breaking point.

I am so angry. I hate this. DH has a meeting that he forgot about and just mentioned late last night. I hate the weekend and I look forward to my yoga class on Mondays. But because of his meeting I am going to have to watch skids for him and either run around to pick them up and go to yoga or just miss it. It's so much stress to bring skids to the daycare at the gym, that it's almost not worth it. I could have said no... It was an important meeting and I felt like I couldn't say no. But now I don't get my class and have to pick up skid and do dinner for DH.

The one way I can get out of the house and do something for myself... one thing I look forward to after having skids around me all weekend, I Can't do.

I just threw away one of skids' baby teeth. DH had saved only that one skid's teeth and not the other skid's teeth. The same skid who is the worst behaved and takes the most of our energy. It was evil and wrong, but I don't give a flying f*ck. I want to destroy things. (so not like me, but I am sooo angry right now).

I'm thinking about making a list of demands, the things I need from him in order to stay....

snowdrop's picture

It was also the kid who he brought shopping with him for several hours (past her bedtime) while I was home with the other kids on Saturday night. Yup, she got SPECIAL time with him, not only do I not get that, but I get to miss my yoga class. She gets time with him every night, all the skids do. Not me. I get to stay out of my own house as long as possible and to get woken up at 6am every day.

I've hit a breaking point. I'm ready to explode.

Onefootout's picture

Can I ask you, how many trips have you and DH taken together? Say in the last 6 months, in the last year?

snowdrop's picture

In the last 6 months we've taken two trips. One was for 5 days (required flying to a couple states away) and the other was a couple hours car ride where we stayed for three nights (it was my Christmas gift to him). We make it a point to do a little travel when skids visit their BM. The problem is that MONTHS go by between their visits with her.... we get a sitter every couple weeks for a few hours. but that's the extent of our break or time together....

snowdrop's picture

he now texted me that he'll be back in an hour later than expected. I told him that like the kids' daycare I charge $1 a minute per kid that he is late. He schedule me until 7:00 so if he's going to be back at 8 then he can pay me $180. I was watching them for free before of course. I am not his nanny. it's bad enough that he asked me at midnight the day before, now he's coming in late. Too bad he can pay me. LOL I wonder if I'll have the balls to make him pay me once I calm down.

snowdrop's picture

and I'm going to feed them nasty fastfood, he always feeds them that crap but when I watch them I usually put effort into cooking something wholesome. But he's got a massive amount of dishes in the sink that I"m not washing so that I can cook for his kids. Why should I care more than he does? They can eat fast food tonight too. No problem DH, I'll put it on the joint account and you can pay for that. I think I'll let them order whatever they want while I'm at it.

snowdrop's picture

thanks Smile we've been together for several years now but still not a super long time (less than 5 yrs). It's been such a roller coaster... allowing myself to say how I really feel was a big step. I don't like skids, there I said it! Now what.... LOL

snowdrop's picture

ps I ended up taking them to Whole Food to pick out something off of the food bar there, rather than fastfood. That way I didn't have to make two stops or to feel badly about feeding them garbage. Still spent $30 bucks. I may take the damn tooth out of the garbage too... probably not though.

DH got home and is cleaning the kitchen. He hasn't said much to me about my onslaught of text messages. he just said sorry and thank you and went to clean. I sorta feel bad for him... but feeling bad for him doesn't make the situation any better or make me any less miserable....