You are here

I have had enough with my 18 year old stepson, need advice.

katwalk's picture

This has been the year from hell for me and my husband, it's getting to the point I want to runaway. His 18 yr old son is a cutter, is using drugs, is violate to his mother and brother, curses me and his dad, but then can turn into an Eddie Haskell when he chooses. Last week the court committed him for 96 hours for evaluation they let him out after 2 days. While in the hospital he had another patient call and threaten a young man who was dating his ex-girl friend, we told the hospital but because he is 18 we could find out what happened. The hard part is I have raised two sons who are productive young men, take care of their families and I have never had any trouble with them, they are respectful to my husband and treat him like a dad. My husband yesterday gave his son another $40, when I asked him why he said the boy would work it out today, guess what he showed up 1 1/2 hours before quitting time and my husband had to give his other son gas money to get him to the job. I can't understand why my husband feels he has to continue to give this kid money, jump when the kid says how high, etc. This kid has called child protective services claiming that my husband hit him when he was 15, that cost us $15,000 in attorney fees, and the list continues and continues, the kid quit school, does nothing but lay around his mother's house and when things get bad she calls my husband. I don't understand why my husband can't tell this kid NO, when I ask him he says he is tired of me telling him how bad his kid is, I just can't take much more. The kid curses in my house and I asked him to leave now he is coming back, I told my husband I would not be here while he was here because I just get too angry. Can anyone relate to any of this and give me some ideas on what to do, I'm afraid it is tearing my marriage apart.

stepsonhatesme's picture

I can sorta relate. My SS is also 18. He smokes pot all the time, been on probation, and is currently sitting in jail, at least until tomorrow. He refuses to work, hits and threatens MY kids, cusses in our house, has raised his hand to me( I turned around and backhanded him so fast). I have had him removed more times than I can remember. My DH is finally seeing him for what he is. Trouble! He refuses to help/bail him out anymore. He (SS) needs to take responsibility for his own actions. I absolutely HATE when either one of my SS comes over. I shut myself in my room until they leave or until my DH has them leave. Things will NOT change until your DH quits letting them walk all over him. He isnt showing them that there are consaquences for their actions. And he is respecting YOU either if he lets SS come in your house and do these things, and He has shown you that SS will always come before you.
I finally put my foot down and told my DH how is was going to be, he could keep bailing SS out and he would ruin this marriage or he could let SS take care of his own mess and save this marriage. Apparently he decided to save our marriage! Smile
GOOD LUCK