You are here

I give up and I dont know what else to do! HELP

Denys's picture

Hello! Since I started my relationship I knew that he had a son and an ex wife. I accepted that! We have a difference of 17 years but even though I knew I couldn't have children and that adoption was my only option I had to struggle with it and accept it somehow. He bought us a home and when we were working on the house she would come unannounced and I said to him that she has to respect our privacy that is not her home. She said she was cleaning her house and find a gift from him and then she decided to drive to the house and give it to him after 3 years of being divorce..I honestly took that as an insult. The hard part is that every Thanksgiving day is close to her birthday or is her birthday so every time that the family gets together is about her. When i first come I did spend thanksgiving with them because I thought it was important to meet everybody but I never thought that even by her having a boyfriend (which by the way doesnt want to have contact with my boyfriends family)she was still going to participate on every event and tell my boyfriend that she wasnt going anywhere because of her child. When I told my boyfriend and his mom that I did not want to participate on the events they say fine is your decision...that made me think twice like a kick on my butt but still I tried to be mature and I decided to go to Thanksgiving and when I sat down with all the family and to see her there and plus it was her birthday I had to leave the room when they were singing happy birthday. At that moment I felt I had no pride. I told him how I felt and he said to me I cannot do anything because shes the mother of my son, my mom sees her as a daughter and shes the sister of my family. I understand his son is important but I feel that even if i had a child she was still going to be there and I wasnt going to have any privacy for my family. He says that im selfish and im only thinking about me. I split with him and he told me that i sound like a broken record only because I wanted my space and privacy. Am I wrong? She is so possesive and his family adores her and they dont want to step on her toes because of her kid but when enough is enough? I felt that theres no room for me or for the family I wanted to have. He says that his hands are tied and that he cannot do anything at all. His mother wanted us to be the great friends and she cant understand why I dont want that to happen. I did love his kid and it was never about him it was about her. Advice please.

unbelieveable's picture

I am still dealing with some issues similar to this...BM walks into the house...granted it's boyfriends parents house(we live here)...she gets a drink...sits down with his mother..it's bullsh*t. I put an end to her coming over for holidays...uh - the kids don't remember their parents being together...and she tries to put on some show for them...HELLO I'M HERE WITH THEIR DAD...for 4 effing years..We have to actually meet her every weekend for pick up and drop off to keep her from coming in the house and he had to tell her to call his cell only...which she texts constantly - some people need to look up divorce...your situation is SO innapropriate - if she is like a daughter and blah blah - where will that leave you IF you two get married? Are you just second? I can't even deal with your situation it makes me SO sick. So what? They have a kid - guess what? So does 75% of freaking American - get over it. There absolutely NEEDS to be respect and boundaries for you - and if you don't put your foot down - then leave and be with someone who is going to put you first...I'd be livid. BM needs to move on with her life...and find a new family to celebrate her damn birthday with...what's she going to do - bring her boyfriend's over too so your man's family can approve? It doesn't have to be an ugly situation - But if there is no respect for you and your feelings...well - then let it be ugly. I wish you the best.

Denys's picture

Thank you for your comments. The truth is that is very hard. Is hard to see the ex wife just sitting there and acting like they are still married. At the beginning when I was naive I allowed her to come inside and I couldn't believe what my eyes were seeing she was sitting with her legs wide open.....I was so angry I said to him I don't care if she was your ex wife for years she needs to respect my house. The only answer that he gave was well she sits like that every time and gets comfortable. I don't know few days ago we talk again and he says that is my problem how I feel because everybody is okay with it, take it or leave it, Im tired of listening to the same things and the end of the conversation was call me when you have something different to tell me..when you have something new to talk about. This is extremely sad for me.