You are here

I feel terribly guilty and need honest advice about my situation

leftfield's picture

My BF has 2 children by 2 different women. His oldest child is 6 and was basically conceived from casual sex. He is in the process of taking that BM back to court for 50/50. They don't have a good working relationship because she rarely responds to him. I must admit that I like it this way. And I also favor this child more than his 2nd child. In fact, I'm VERY close with his first child and he is very close to me as well. I get along with BM well, too.

Child number 2 is 5. He married the mother when she was 3 months pregnant and they divorced just shy of the childs 3rd birthday. She was having an affair and is still with the guy. The child is, ehh, not my favorite kid. He is needy and bossy, but I suppose that comes with being 5? BM and BF have a very tight working relationship. They went from totally hating eachother, to, OK, lets make this work out so we have a happy kid. Great. Ehh, not so much. It's great that they have 50/50 and he no longer pays child support, but not so great that they talk twice/day and text eachother 2-3 times as well...about the child, his schooling, his activities, etc. I hate it, but somehow over the past couple of months, I've learned to accept it. I believe when the child is a bit older, the constant communication will end. I hope.

So, why do I feel guilty for wanting out? I love him to death and I think I can tolerate his kids and BM's for the rest of our lives. He is a wonderful father and has a heart of gold. We have so much in common. The thing is, we have different love languages or something. I'm always the one who has to initiate a "date" with him - it always has to revolve around his time. I'm always the one to go over there. He never does anything nice for me, e.g., never flowers, never a card. He shows me no appreciation for anything I do for him and his children. I cook when I come over (from scratch), I buy them and him things out of the goodness of my heart, I help with homework, I put love notes in weird places for him to discover. He showers me with kisses, which I love, but am I wrong to desire something more, like a card? To me, buying me something like a card, shows that he thinks of me when we aren't together. I don't know how often he thinks of me when we aren't together. He calls once/day as a routine, but that's as good as it gets other than he pays for dinner when we occasionally go out. He doesnt meet my emotional needs per se, but sometimes I wonder if I require too much attention, u know? And he has a lot of "girlfriends" at work who are just crazy about him. In fact, his "dog-sitter"/coworker made him a cake when he was in Vegas. The cake said "boo" on it in red. He claims it was from her and boo meant nothing other than "gotcha". But I also know that his exgf uses the word "boo" to reference people, e.g, "hey Boo" and I wonder if it was really from her. They are still friends.

Anyway, I tried talking to him about it and he agreed with me that he needs to make more effort, but it's been several weeks since the chat and nothing has changed. Soooo, out of pure frustration this week, I agreed to go out on a blind date with a coworkers neighbor. I just got home tonight and my BF is at work. The blind date isn't my type at all, but now I'm thinking that there are other men out there who do nice things for their gf, right? AM I being unreasonable to want these things in return? He is going to be heartbroken and so will his oldest son. It makes me so sad to think about life without him, but I'm starting to get tired of not feeling loved and appreciated.

CalgonTakeMeAway's picture

Maybe you should tell him what you just wrote here. You're not wrong for wanting more. It sounds like you're both really nice people, maybe just not compatible. Or maybe he doesn't know how to give you what you need. My DH and I show our love in different ways. The thing I appreciate about him most is that he is dependable, responsible, true to his word, and I know he will always be there for me. To me, that is love.

Your BF may think he's doing what you need because that's how he knows to express love. Like you said, love languages. Maybe you could try positive reinforcement. When he does something that you like, make a big deal out of it. Maybe he'll continue doing it. You need to determine if he's really making an effort or just giving you lip service. If he's really making an effort, you need to decide if you can live with the "type" of love he gives. If not, you need to cut it off. Otherwise you'll both be unhappy and it will hurt the kids if they're attached to you.

Remember, you're not going to get somebody who meets 100% of your needs. Nobody can do that. Good luck. Let us know what happens!

WHERESMYWART's picture

If this is how you feel now, wait until you are married and he no longer "needs" to give you as much attention. It doesn't get better, least from my experience. Good luck to you in all that you do. Doesn't sound like hes a bad guy, but maybe hes just not the one for you. Smile

leftfield's picture

Well, I'm heading over to his house this morning and I'm going to have a chat with him about taking a break from each other. I worry that I may come across as such a gold-digger for explaining that I would appreciate small gifts now and then?

I know for a fact that he bought his exgf flowers, a necklace and a few other things in their 6 month relationship (we used to work together). I've been with him longer and have yet to get anything at all. I don't think I"m being unreasonable?

Most Evil's picture

I think he needs to get used to the idea of treating you special - or else!!! Don't be afraid to ask for what you need. HUGS

leftfield's picture

Ugggh. he cancelled on me. We both work night shift and he said he is too tired to see me this morning. It sux. I already had the vegetables chopped for the omelette I was going to make him. What sux even more is that he didnt want to see me. even tho I work nights as well, I always make an effort to see him after work since it typically takes a couple house to wind down.

I'm so sorry. Sad Maybe a break is just what you need. Sometimes people don't know what they have until it's not in front of them. We're all capable of taking others for granted. Maybe he just needs a little wake up call.

Go make yourself a nice omelette, take a long bubble bath and get some rest. Pamper yourself a little. Go about your life and let him make the next move. Let him initiate contact. He'll notice if you're pulling back. Then you can see if he steps up and gives you what you need, or if you should find somebody you're more compatible with.

{{{Hugs}}}

giveitago's picture

Is there a ring on your finger? Then he has no claim to you, or your affections at all.

The blind date did not have to work out this time around...hey...next guy could be great! I cannot for the life of me think why you could even remotely feel guilty for wanting out? I mean, this is YOUR life, right? Your needs are not being met and, like an earlier poster said, wait until you are married and he no longer feels the need to impress you at all!!

Date, stay home and read a good book, have girly nights out, do whatever it is that you enjoy doing. Treat BF like a 'friend' and be available to him when it suits your calendar!
Good luck!

leftfield's picture

Well, we chatted and he said he doesn't know how to be romantic anymore. He said he used to be a very romantic guy but his past 2 relationships have proven that being romantic gets u nowhere. He also said he loves me and wants a solid relationship with me, but his heart is only in it by 50 percent. I, however, am in this with my whole heart. He said he can't get into me completely because he thinks I am going to leave him since I have threatened him a few times. I have suggested to him that we break up in the past, simply out of frustration b/c I get so sick of getting ignored by him. He won't listen to his voicemails. And he can take hours (if ever) to reply to a simple text of mine, whereas he answers BM's promptly. Anyway, after he told me this, I thanked him for his honesty, etc and was getting ready to leave. He pulled me onto his lap and began kissing me like crazy, not wanting me to leave....explaning that his zodiac sign is a horse and horses like their freedom, whereas I am a snake and become needy, but lucky us, our signs are compatible........ :? :?. ((((scratching my head)))).

I just blocked him from texting me and from me texting him. Texting is very frustrating to me because he rarely answers. For example, I text him last night, "would u like to try power yoga with me. its supposed to be great for weight loss and it will be a nice thing for us to do together". No response at all. And then this morning I texted him "GM babe" He responded with "??" to which I replied "GM= Good morning" and then I tried calling him immedietely after. No answer and no "Good morning" back or anything. No response from him at all. I'm over it, I blocked him. When he decided to call I will tell him he's been blocked and I know he won't like it, but......ohhhhhh wellllll.

There's a book you should read, He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys by Greg Behrendt. It saved me SO much heartache when I was still dating. Pick it up and see if any of it rings true to you.

We put our time and energy into what we value. He can be romantic. You don't just forget how. He CHOOSES not to be romantic. He's making excuses for taking you for granted. You are not his past 2 relationships. Another excuse. We've all had our hearts broken. If he can't move on and recover fully from that, do you want to be in a relationship with him? Relationships are not 50/50. They are 100/100. They're hard, and if you're giving less than 100%, it likely will not work.

He says he can't get into you completely...another excuse. The normal reaction would be to give you what you need if he WANTED to get into you completely. The whole zodiac thing...ridiculous...another excuse. He wants freedom? You're needy because you have needs? Ummm NO. Maybe you should follow through and actually break up with him. He doesn't believe you will do it. If he did, and he cared that much, he would make sure he made you happy. Now he can give 50% of himself and get away with it.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but this is my opinion based on what you've written here. You deserve so much more than what he's giving. I hope you can be happy with whatever you choose to do!

overit2's picture

He's obviously not that into you....he even admitted that w/his 50pct...some guys do take longer to fully commit to a relationship or allow themselves to be completely vulnerable to love and giving.

But it's not looking good already when it should be kind of the 'romance' part of a relationship. Go for what you are compatible with, sorry you are hurting, i know break-ups are not fun at all!