You are here

How would you handle a panicing child?

PeanutandSons's picture

We have to take ss10 in to have blood drawn. This kid freaks out in situations like this. Anything involving the slightest amount of discomfort has him hysterical. Shots at the Dr have him fighting the nurse to get the needle out of his arm and crying for 15 minutes, falling at the park on the grass leaves him crying and limping, a bug bite on his leg has him limping for hours.

Last year SS broke his arm at daycare, and was uncontrollable, hyserical, panicing when it came time to take the caste off. You'd have thought someone was literally cutting his arm off. After the caste was off, we had xrays done and they decided to re-caste him for three more weeks. Even though he knew it didn't hurt, and that the machine wouldn't cut him, and we talked about it and reassured him before hand...... And he swore he wasn't scared anymore .....he was even worse having the second caste off. It literally came down to me, two male nurse and the Dr pinning him down, with him fighting for his life to get the damn caste off. All because "it felt a little funny".

I am so scared to take him to get his blood drawn. How would you help him deal with this. Be firm, and force him? Understanding and let him take his time? Treat him like a toddler and coddle him? Just leave him to the nurse and let her deal with him? I just am out of ideas.

I've been waiting and waiting for him to out grow this, but he's not. SD9 nor bs2 cry at shots anymore, nor do they cry over skinned knees and such. But he's the oldest and acts like a baby. I had to take bs2 for blood work a few weeks ago and he was a rockstar.... Didn't cry, didn't pull his hand away, just took it like a man.

What should I do at the blood draw? Any ideas on toughening up this kid in general?

Jsmom's picture

Have you thought about asking the doc to give him a sedative? My BS had panic attacks like this for thunderstorms...He also did it on a blood draw on me. Ran screaming from the room. Was three nurses to hold him down. Doc told me to give him a half of a xanax and it would be enough to calm him down but not sedate him. Did the therapy and bought relaxation tapes and now it is not a problem at all. I tease him now about it. He tells me I exxagerate it. Yeah!!! Sure I do...I had to leave work one time, because a storm was coming and he was freaking out. He was a teenager then and I pulled into the driveway and he was pacing up and down in the garage and it was only raining a little at that point...Complete panic attack.

They do grow out of this...

Ommy's picture

Dont go back with him. Also tell him if the doctor says you were crying or being a brat there will be no tv...