You are here

How old does a child have to be to.......

pwoodlson's picture

-get themselves a drink of water ?

-get themselves a blanket?

-tie their own shoes?

-keep their toys away from the dog?

-use utensils during meals?

Does anyone know of a 6 year old who cannot manage to do any of these things yet can get themselves candy and cookies out of the top pantry regularly without any problems whatsoever?

ESMOD's picture

6 is still pretty young.  If the parents have been doing all of this for the child.. it's not unusal for them to continue to expect help.  If there is not developmental delay reason why the child can't do more things.. then it is the parent's failure.. not the child's.

Jcksjj's picture

My opinion - they should be able to do all of that. The keeping toys away from the dog I can see an average kid slipping up on.

Does he have any issues with fine motor skills? My son struggled with the shoe tying in particular because he needed therapy for fine motor and lacked strength in his fingers. Most of the kids in his preschool class could tie their shoes at around 4 though  He still could use utensils fine from at least 2 years old but that could possibly be a fine motor thing. If not he needs to be taught.

ndc's picture

I'm guessing this is kind of a rhetorical question, but . . . 

My SO's 6 year old can do everything on the list except keep toys from the dog.  The dog is clever.  His 3 year old can do all except tie her shoes and keep toys from the clever dog.  Both are quite adept at getting themselves candy and cookies.

lieutenant_dad's picture

YSS was probably 8 or 9 before he started doing much of that on his own, mostly because EVERYONE babied him. If he couldn't do something, an adult did it for him or they yelled at OSS to help. DH tried the most of anyone to not baby him, but YSS learned that if he was just *super* slow that DH would likely step in.

As ESMOD said, it is a parenting failure, not a child's failure, when they cannot complete are-appropriate tasks. It means that the parent either hasn't taught the child how to do it or hasn't figured out the child's currency to make them do it (i.e. no enforcement).

Should a 6 year old be able to do those things? Maybe. Tying shoes may still be fairly rudimentary, and getting a glass of water likely has more to do with physical limitations (e.g. too short to reach the faucet, poor motor skills to not spill water). Though, 6 is an appropriate time for kids to be learning and practicing these skills, though they may not master them for another 2 years.

Rags's picture

Time to play the "get it yourself" card and let it ride.  If he chooses to not get water, he goes thirsty. If he refuses to get the blanket, he freezes.  If he refuses to tie his shoes, he can carry them ... or .... just get him Crocs or velcro closure shoes.  I would go with letting him go bare foot and carry his lace up shoes. It will take one cold day for him going barefoot before he gains clarity on that issue.  We had a watershed moment with SS when he was 5-6 on tying his shoes.  He was humiliated at school when his teacher refused to tie his shoes and so did the rest of his classmates so he had to sit through recess.  We had shown him countless times how to do it.  He came home that night and asked me to help him. I did. He never had that issue again though I am not sure even today at 26yo that he can tie shoes so that they actually stay tied         Unknw

If he fails to keep  his toys away from the dog, then the toys now belong to the dog. This one would be fun to watch.  A smart dog can give a dumb kid a run for their money.

If he chooses to not use utensils when he eats then take his plate and dump it and he doesn't eat until the next meal ... lather rinse repeat... .or... dump his plate in a dog bowl and put it on the floor. He can eat out of that or the dog gets an extra meal. Kid's choice.

We dealt with this on a limited basis with SS when he would leave for SpermLand visitation 99% capable of just about anything and would come back after visitation grunting, crying, "I can't do it"-ing. So we let him starve, freeze, stink, etc, etc, etc... until he did what he was fully capable of doing prior to SpermLand visitation.  He re-learned very quickly that "I can't" can't do anything and screaming, grunting, crying and flopping on the floor in frustration that his mom and I were not going to baby him like the SpermClan did at that time (they also didn't bathe him, wash his clothes, etc, etc, etc....) and that he would have zero horizon to reintegrate back into his real life. 

What drove him the most insane was our stepping over him when he was flopping on the floor in a tantrum, or even better, when we would just grab him by a foot and drag him off to a corner out of the way.       Diablo

Funny how after a very few incidents he would flip his own behavioral switch and step up to perform as he was 1-5 weeks before.

StayTrue's picture

If they go to school and their are no signs of developmental delays, it is just lazyness. Kids will do what they can in an environment. 

Anon9876's picture

Sounds like a typical kid to me. Many 6 year olds prefer candies and cookies to actual responsibility.

I know it gets frustrating but try to be understanding. A kid is a kid.

sunshinex's picture

We've never treated SD as a child of divorce so she is more than capable of all of the above. She gets herself water, blankets, ties her shoes/does her coat up, keeps her toys in her room/out of the living room, uses utensils, says thank you for dinner and asks if she may start eating (we wait tiil everyones seated) when she gets to the dinner table, etc. She's actually quite the lovely little lady if I do say so myself :-) 

Now, if I hadn't of pushed her (and my husband admittedly) to start doing things for herself, she would probably still tantrum at the thought of getting her own water. My husband and I used the same approach rags mentioned. She would ask for something/ask for help and we would show her how to do it herself 3-4 times, than if she asked, we told her to do/get it herself. If she refused or bugged that she couldn't, we'd say "ok I guess you'll go without" 

Expect a tantrum the first few times you tell your stepkid to go without, but eventually, they'll learn that it's better to suck it up and "lose the game" so to speak, than go thirsty, cold, etc.