You are here

How long until bedroom is not skids anymore?

Thisisnotus's picture

Long story sort of short when we bought our house 4 years ago....my 3 kids and 2 skids all slept here regularly.No shared baby at that point... We had 3 kid bedrooms....all kids had input and agreed on the arrangements....so we split 5 preteen/teen girls between 3 rooms. They all get along like best friends so no issues there.

fast forward to the major PAS of my oldest and DHs youngest who both haven’t slept here in over 2 years.....and add in a baby. So as of today and for the past 2 years baby has her own room (the only one downstairs like my room so that’s a must) and the 2 upstairs rooms are my DD12 and DD14 sharing....DD 17 has her own room also the largest rooms.

so here is the deal....my kids are here every other week Sunday-Sunday like clockwork and sometimes in between when they want to.

SD17 hasn’t slept here in a month and I see this Trend continuing. Both her and sister come over on their “days” which is about 40 percent of the time but both go back to BMs to sleep....SD17 spends the entire time in her room but never sleeps in it....okay...

so....if this continues....how much time unitil I take the room and give it to my kid? My kids are sharing a room when there is a perfectly good room going unused....

at this point I don’t see SD12 ever sleeping here but I guess there is that off chance.....DH doesn’t seem to want to do a thing about his idiotic situation......what do you think?

DH would likely cry and flip out if I take the room.

MrsMiserable's picture

Can you move one of your bios into the room where SD's stuff is and have them share a room? Then your SD still has a place to sleep and call her own when she's there but the room isn't going unused the rest of the time... 

Thisisnotus's picture

My DD14 already sleeps in the room every night sd isn’t here....but at some point she’d probably like to make it “her” room and have her stuff in there.

I guess I sort of dont think kids should get “Day bedrooms to themselves” when other kids in the home are sharing where they sleep.

i mean we have a loft upstairs that sd can claim....it’s got a futon and tv and whatever.

ESMOD's picture

If I am reading this right..your DD17 who is the oldest doesn't sleep there either.. you said your oldest and DH's youngest are PAS'ed and don't sleep there.

???

I am against taking space away from minor kids.. whether she sleeps there or not.. she does come and have visitation.

I might vote for moving another girl in with her to share? 

Thisisnotus's picture

Yes DD17 does not sleep here and has not in 2 years and she does not come over but maybe once every 3 months for 10 minutes. SD12 hasn’t slept here in over 2 years.....and spends maybe 5-6 hours here during her visitation days.

tog redux's picture

I'm confused. There are 3 rooms, your two DDs who do come over are sharing, your SD17 has her own room, and your DD17 has her own room? Does your DD17 come over?

Thisisnotus's picture

Sorry....our shared toddler DD has her own room.

DD12 and DD14 share. DD17 does not come over.

SD17 has her own room. SD12 spends 5-6 hours at most here 3 to 4 days a week....DD17 has been following SD12 schedule for the past month..

Rags's picture

Resident kids and overnighters get room precedence.

Visiters get whatever is left.

Keep it simple.

Thisisnotus's picture

I’m on that same line of thought. Maybe I just need to give it more time.

if I find that SD17 is still not sleeping here in 6 months then I need to make a change....because it’s silly to me to have an unused room.

Thisisnotus's picture

What?

BethAnne's picture

trying to make a joke....failing apaprently.

But really, none of the kids own the rooms. None of them have rights to sole access to specific places in the house. Adults pay the mortgage or rent so the adults get to choose what goes on in the home and who sleeps where etc. Do what ever you and your husband feel is best. 

juststressedbeyondbelief's picture

You know our answer.

Prioritize your shared children.

HowBoutScottyDont's picture

I would add an extra futon up in the loft. the two who do not sleep there can use that space, knowing they will be welcome and have a bed. I would let the kids who live there have their own rooms.

your timeline for changing things around seems reasonable