You are here

How do you tell which posts/ users are legit; so you don't waste your time and energy?

stepfamilyfriend's picture

My second post ever on this forum I was accused of the same things I am wondering about now. Some posts just seem over the top, looking to cause fighting among members. But then again, if they are legit, some of them are so horribly sad...
I can't help but feel that some of us are wasting our time replying and fighting over non existent issues, satisfying some bored member with nothing better to do. To accuse someone would be rude and could be really wrong and damaging, yet some things just seem to glare at me.
Is today just like last week but amped up to the max?

overit2's picture

SFF_you're right, the last few weeks we have been bombarded-and the reports have gone out just as quick. Nothing will be done about it....hasn't in the past not holding my breath now. I think they just wait till our complaining subsides....and buy time when we do report-there is never any response to our inquiries...oh well..

But you're right-i think i just replied to a poster because I was offended by what was said-but the glaring thing to me was this could be a fake post...AGAIN!

aggravated1's picture

And where are the mods? This Dave37 has now told someone to come after him and bring a body bag and he will make them worm food. I am pretty sure that is against the TOS. lol

helena_brass's picture

I suppose just use your best judgment. There's really no way to verify stories on a board like this. Look for clues: a poster's first post attracts a lot of attention because the post includes a nonchalant reference to something outrageous, other posters pick up on the crazy and start arguing amongst themselves, that poster has only been a member for an hour, that poster knows all the terminology because they claim to be a "lurker," the poster seems to stick their head in the mud about the wrongness of something obviously wrong, the poster claims to be a BM/Skid looking for an alternate perspective, etc.

If someone's story sounds bogus to me, I usually respond by saying it sounds bogus, if not here's what I think, and then I try not to post any more on that thread. It's not foolproof, but I try.

I don't know what you mean Stepaside.What would stop someone from opening another account and posting stuff to cause trouble? All you need is an email. There is just too much stirring and some "members" are just loving it, going unleashed.

oh. I get so serious sometimes that miss jokes entirely :?
I think I got it now, though

seeingitfrombothsides's picture

You know, being new here myself, I guess that I would want someone to respond to my posts even if my situation seemed a little strange. I always respond IRL as genuinely as I can and will always do that on-line, too. If I respond to someone that is not real, oh well, maybe someone that is truly in that situation will see my response at some later date. I know a lot of the information I gained from this site wasn't from my own posts, but from reading old posts when I found the site.

CalgonTakeMeAway's picture

This is an excellent point. The more points of view you get, the more you can learn. Sometimes I even change my point of view after reading some really compelling arguments.

overit2's picture

Oh gosh...this Dave, ElLady whatever her/his name is-anything that is TOO dramatic that insinuates abuse, suicide, mental illness and the stories keep growin are obvious idiotic, insane, cowardly, TROLLS...they should go crawl under the rock the came from...puhhhllleeasssseee!!!

I know there are dramatic stories-we live them-and with TIME we realize which ones are real and which aren't. How many of these 'new posters' create some fantasy never to be heard of again?

They are those internet/online freaks, meeky, cowardly, no real life or friends other then troll boards for amusement. They are filth, bottomfeeders.

Another good indicator is always posting in "forums" vs blogs-the time they've been a member-how the story escalates, how the 'back' stories have similarities-the agression level when asked if they are real, when they start getting called out or confronted or "found out" to be the same obvious troll they escalate their bad behavior-with threats, cussing, arguing, mud slinging.

You can report but nothing will be done...so you are in it for yourselves. The less responses the better-BUT they will just create MORE blogs and MORE intricate stories to keep drawing to feed their narcissisitc, sociopathic supply.

Oh-and the writing style will 'vary' in the same thread...from sounding 'illiterate' to very well written...many errors to none-they can't keep up w/so many personalities.

A good key is also-how many "crazy" out there stories do we see a DAY, over the last few months-I have bundles of handle names that I'm positive are the same damn troll...what a bastard she/he is. Sick, manipulative, narcissitic, idiotic, space and air wasting troll.

aggravated1's picture

You know what is a tell for me lately?
There are at least 4 posters who have usernames that are all written the same-uncapitalized. Then all of those stories involve a poor, mistreated stepson (never a stepdaughter) and all of the various ways that the dad and the stepmom have screwed up in dealing with the kid. People give advice, radio silence, and then a few days later there is some other story where there is some OTHER traumatic event that they need everyone's advice on. Not to mention, the grammar, sentence structure, EVERYTHING is the same for these posters. I don't even bother with them anymore.
That is just my guess-am I right? Maybe, maybe not. It sets my spidey senses tingling, though.

Another good indicator is always posting in "forums" vs blogs

I've only posted in forums and not blogs. I'm paranoid that somebody will find this site and bust me and use it against DH. I don't know if not posting blogs is safer or not, but it feels like it.

Totalybogus's picture

I think it really doesn't matter. Maybe they are frauds, but there may be someone here or a lurker that actually has a similar situation and your words and wisdom could possibly help them.

I agree that there are some good things that come out of troll posts, if you can pick through the rubble and bodies and find advice. I just feel foolish being drawn into the posts and giving advice. Oh well, I'd rather err on the side that the poster may be real and needing help...I'd had to bash someone like that.

It matters though. I can caught up in some of this stuff and don't even read other posts because of it. It is my choice, for sure, but time and energy is taken away from those that could use a word or a {{{{ hug}}}}.
I have nothing really to base this on, but I don't think it's just random people out there. I think it's forum members that either need entertainment, or have a scenario they went through but pose it as someone else going through it and then can get all fired up in their replies. I know I may be completely off base. Some of the men don't "sound" like men at all, but rather familiar voices..
IDK; seems like there are enough real problems for all of us that having to deal with fantasies is just weird.