You are here

How do you all feel about

futurestepmomnowstepgf's picture

young children wearing make up and dying their hair? I am talking about 3 - 12, having their own make up, mom doing their make up and I mean full on eyeliner mascara etc, and putting hair dye in a child's hair? Not talking about lip gloss or anything for a dance recital or special occasion, I mean anytime, any day, etc.

RisingtheWave80's picture

My SD who is now 14, is the daughter of a makeup artist and until about a year and half aho she would hide the amount of cat eyeliner and makeup she wore from her father. Then one day he just stopped caring. She has been wearing extensive makeup for a few years and has thousands of dollars worth of eyeshadow pallets. She looks like she is 20 with her makeup done and I think its all a bit much.

But with that being said, I have no issues with makeup for fun. I have ZERO issues with hair dying especially fun colors because honestly you can only get away with that when you are a kid and not dealing with corporate america and the needs to be uniformed.

I have more issues with my SD's acrylic nails, her mother has paid for her to get full sets every week for the last 2-3 years and they are trashy and long looking.

but growing up I could not wear more than eyeliner and lip gloss at age 12 - 13 and then in high school I could wear more, but my parents refused to buy anything more than the basics and neutral colors. 

I think hair dye is so bad for children's hair unless it is wash out or something like that. Anything permanent or semi permanent shouldn't go in their hair.

Ah yeah that is not good and is trashy! People are trying to make their children grow up too fast!

Kes's picture

I think 11-12 plus is OK, anything younger is slightly grotesque.  We don't tend to do it in the UK. 

is end of middle school about to hit high school. It really isn't good for many reasons, my main concern honestly is self esteem is hindered because they think they need to look this done up to be pretty or whatever

ESMOD's picture

I think play makeup is fine.. but they should not be using her cast off (bacteria laden) makeup.  They are not formulated for children and could cause infections due to contamination.

Hair Dye?  well.. i have some kids with temporary colors at times.. it's a bit fun and goofy.. not really against it.

Usually schools will have some limits to what kids can have as far as hair color.. maybe that will squash it a bit.

I don't think kids younger than 10 (then graduating to tinted lipbalm etc...) should really be wearing makeup as part of a regular routine... dress up is fine.  

Yes temporary is fine, I agree, but not any type of permanent.

I agree! Dress up is different then dolling them up with a full face of make up on a regular basis :x

Jcksjj's picture

Little kids with makeup freak me out personally. I just find it creepy looking. SIL started putting makeup on SD for our wedding and I asked her not to because I didnt want her in the pics looking like she was in a beauty pageant. But beyond that I have never said anything because I dont really care. BM has put makeup on SD before sending her to our house a couple times. No idea why, but whatever.

Around probably 6th grade I would start saying it's more okay 

I could see a little lip gloss for a wedding or like a dance recital or something, but beyond that, not until at least mid middle school. 

I definitely agree! It is not really the make up I worry about other than hurting her self esteem and then dying her hair and damaging it

Pregnantwithquestions's picture

Eh, not worth the fight IMO.

I wear makeup daily and have basically since I was 10-12 years old and was aware enough of fashion and beauty to want to try  it out. To me, it is a harmless form of self expression and  would rather my SD be engrossed in that then other things she could get into. Also, a lot of the hair dye formulation these days aren't as harsh as they used to be and are relatively harmless to your hair.

I'd personally let this one go. 

Kiwi_koala's picture

I think around age 13 a little eye shadow, lip gloss, and mascara is fine. Playing dress up at younger ages is fun too. I used to do that. I wore a little make up in high school just the basics no foundation, blush, concealer etc just light eye makeup. 

My boyfriend's 11 and 13 year old have dyed pieces of their hair f pink and purple for a few years now. I wouldn't be happy if that was my child's only because of all the chemicals. They play around in make up a little bit ..nothing too crazy though.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

BioHo has allowed her girls to wear FULL makeup starting at age ten. Concealer (zits from all that junk food), foundation, blush, eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara, lipstick. On 10yo girls. The two older girls were allowed to start coloring their hair at 14.

Spawn12 has been dying her hair for 2 years now. 'Ho got Spawn her first set of longa$$ acrylic nails at age 11. And I do mean long - a full INCH past the end of her finger. Spawn has been sporting a camel toe since she was FOUR YEARS OLD. Nothing like a camel toe on a preschooler. Especially when she's wearing short-shorts and her hoo-hah is hanging out. ~barf~

So, yes to play make-up and those combs with color that come out with the next washing. Why encourage girls to start damaging their hair at an early age??? Minimal makeup in HS. I have never understood those who push their children to look older; grow up faster. Childhood only lasts for so long.

Thisisnotus's picture

I don't care so to speak......but I think it looks like crap when kids where make up before middle school...and even then it should be a gradual progression just b/c no 12 year old looks right in a full face of make up. Hair dye....meh...I'm fine with that...but more into fun colors vs high lights that adults would get.

I have a 12 year old....she just started wearing mascara and lip gloss.....14 year old....she wears mascara...maybe some blush, uses an eyebrown pencil......17 year old...full on face make-up......seems about right to me.

Oddly, my skids have some odd fascination with bright red lipstick as young kids....my SD12 wears bright red/orange lipstick to any special event and has since I've known her....she looks like a clown and I wouldn't let my kid step out of the house like that because it looks tacky.....I saw some old pics of SD16 at that age and younger...she was also wearing this lipstick to special events...

tog redux's picture

There's nothing you can do about BM using make-up and hair dye.  And it will look really petty and controlling if you try. All you and DH can do is try to educate SD so she can make her own choices.

Personally, I think make-up on young kids is horrible. Why we feel the need to sexualize little girls, I will never understand.

bananaseedo's picture

Grrr, big pet peeve of mine...parents like Floppy that allow 'self-expression' at such young ages also disturb me.

My BM encouraged this over-sexualizing of my SD...started dyeing her hair (FULL dye) at age 10...and to shave her arms (totally uncessary) then came the makeup- cameltoe and painted pants at that young age...acrylic nails/highlights followed closely. She RUINED her hair by age 12...it still looks fried.  Then came the tattoos starting at age 16 which she got illegally of course...her body is covered in tattoos now BIG ones on her back/thighs/arms at 18.  Not a pretty picture when parents allow this nonsense, but not much you can do about it unfortunately.

Rags's picture

Toxic.  There is a time when this is appropriate and healthy.  Too young is not appropriate nor is it healthy for a child.

I would be looking for Jean Benet/Pageant mom thing with this parent.  

Toxic and inappropriate are things that you know when you see them.  You make the call on the appropriateness of this behavior. You are the one with the view.