You are here

Hotel accomodation during holidays with husband and stepson

sandy_ts2k's picture

Hello, this might be a stupid and obvious question to many, but... we are planning a holiday with my husband and 12 year old stepson, what kind of accomodation do stepparents normally have with a near teenager? A family room? two rooms? a triple room?? Sorry if it's a silly question for most people!!

Acratopotes's picture

I will never share a room with a child, and if SO ever suggested I get my own room and him and Aergia shares a room, he will never see me again.

Thus I suggests double room for you and DH and single room for the kid.

Acratopotes's picture

:jawdrop: why can't a 12 year old be alone in a hotel room? Seriously?

This is normal over here,

Acratopotes's picture

Mine never snugged out, he had enough in his room to keep him busy with lol....
guess it all depends on who's the parent and how the kid is raised, We would go to dinner after dinner and bed time, I would take Deigma back to his room and collect the next morning for breakfast...or he would be knocking on our door...
and he was younger then 12....

Fruit - they sleep alone in the house, why not sleep alone when on holiday?

I just don't get it or I was a real bad mother

Acratopotes's picture

mmm let me see.....

Deigma sharing my room or my piece and quietness..... nah I pay...

zerostepdrama's picture

Agree!

AlmostDone's picture

We have always done just 1 hotel room (3 SDs), since we pretty much used it for sleeping only. If we plan to stay in the same place for 2 or more nights, we rent a condo or house through AirBNB, HomeAway, or other sites because the price usually is not much more than the cost of one hotel room. Plus, it gives everyone a lot more space and privacy, has a kitchen, etc.

notasm3's picture

Residence Inn or a similar suite hotel would be a good option. The last one we stayed in had a bedroom with a door separate from the living area with a sleeper sofa. Others may not have a separate bedroom but have a partial wall or divider between the sleeper sofa and bed areas.

Residence Inn, Springhill Suites, Towneplace Suites - Marriott
Embassy Suites, Homewood Suites - Hilton
Candlewood Suites, Comfort Suites

Look for extended stay hotels. You do not have to stay more than a night though.

AWWKNSWTD's picture

This is what I was going to recommend too. And most of those (all of them?) come with free breakfast, which is a great bonus. Some even come with weekday happy hours, too!

grace8205's picture

I think Almostdone's suggestion is a good one. Since he is 12 and it is a family vacation a condo or small house would give space needed and having a kitchen would be convenient and a budget helper.

In my case since DH last night brought up going to the West Coast with adult ss21 (the man baby who thinks he should come on vacation with us) I will choose the one hotel room. This way Ss21 will never want to go on any of our vacations ever again and DH will never offer it again.

Glassslipper's picture

We are a blended family of 6.
We always book the 2 bed with pullout sofa sleeper.
The boys share a bed, DH and I share a bed, SD gets the sofa and my daughter always sleeps on the floor.
BUT
Once we were traveling with my FIL, he had his own own. Both rooms were double beds, no pull out couch.
DH decided to put us in one bed and SD in the other.
FIL and his son in the second room and both my kids had to sleep on the floor!
NEVER AGAIN!
I will get a room and share a bed with my daughter before he makes my kids sleep on the floor while his kids have beds all to themselves.