You are here

Here's what you ladies are doing wrong!

marblefawn's picture

This (article) just in from the CNN Newsroom! It turns out, SDs aren't hateful! We stepmothers just aren't doing it right!!!!! So glad Hollywood is there to point us in the right direction. Thoughts?

Hilaria Baldwin on husband Alec's ex-wife, Kim Basinger, and stepdaughter

CNN: Now, this is not something you hear often, especially in Hollywood.

Alec Baldwin's wife, Hilaria Baldwin, took to Instagram with a passionate and lengthy post about her incredibly close relationship with her husband's daughter, Ireland Baldwin, from his first marriage to Kim Basinger and the "respect" she has for his ex.

Basinger and Alec Baldwin divorced in 2002 after nine years.

"I rarely address being a stepmom, but it is part of our family," Hilaria wrote alongside a photo of herself with Ireland. "I always want to deal with it with such care...so often you hear horror stories about evil stepparents and I wanted to make sure I did right by the family I was stepping into when I married Alec. I love my stepdaughter as much as I love my biological children and I become a mommy lioness when I see comments that insinuate otherwise."

She appeared to be directly responding to social media critics who think she should be posting more about Ireland, who is 23.

"Sometimes my language about my biological children does not include her," Baldwin continued. "Because I did not birth her and I never want to disrespect the fact that she has a wonderful mother. But this will never take away from how much I love her, need her in my life, and think that she is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. Please don't look for trouble where there is none."

The New York fitness instructor has four children with the actor, ages 10 month to 5 years. She recently made headlines for openly discussing her miscarriage in real time on social media.

In her latest Instagram post, she also addressed why she thinks she has a good thing going with Basinger.

"Having a stepchild is a delicate matter. Especially one who is grown," Baldwin wrote. "I think my relationship with her has been so successful because I never tried to step in as her mommy She has a good mother, who I have tremendous respect for...and I put myself in Kim's shoes: if my children ever had a stepmother, I'd want her to let me be number one. When I met Ireland, I said to Alec: if she is not ok with our relationship, I cannot go further. Family is first and she needed to be ok with me. We have never had a fight or a bad moment. Nor have I with her mother."

Jcksjj's picture

I'm sure her publicist told her what to write. Unfortunately that's the kind of crap that is why I hate social media so much and the bs expectations on it. Putting the adult daughter as #1...ugh. Why would you post about a 23 year old as much as younger kids even if they were all bios? 

Lady.Tremaine's picture

Even if it's all true- they all have buckets full of money and the kid was in her teens... She likely didn't care who had custody because she had an allowance to buy a car.

Parents weren't fighting because custody and spouse support was already set in stone. If half of the step parents on here had that sort of money we'd have a lot less posts.

How many posts of SMs saying they'd leave if they had money? How many BMs that are nuts on low level drugs ? 

This is a situation only for those who can truly afford it on all ends

caitlinj's picture

Social media is fake and frequent social media posters are phonies. Also anyone who marries someone like Alec Baldwin might be a few bricks short of a load. Either that or money hungry. He has some sort of extreme anger problem that apparently he tries his best to disguise from the public eye but isn't doing a very good job at it.

TwoOfUs's picture

All I see here is a poor SM defending her natural love for her own biokids against social media critics...against a society that still unrealistically expects SMs to care just as much or even more about stepkids than their own biokids. 

About 5 or 6 years ago, the media released an angry, ranting phone message Alec left for the darling Ireland telling her she was being "disrespectful" by not calling him back and ignoring him when he was paying for her cell phone and her whole life...anyone else remember this? That tells the real story. 

All this shows is a stepmom who's been forced to kowtow to the "first family" and to apologize for her excitement and posts about her own babies. It's disgusting what society expects of stepmoms. I think she answers these critics well, telling them that she's not and has never tried to be Ireland's mother...and to quit "looking for problems" where there aren't any.

I mean seriously...what do people think? Her biochildren are minors who live with her everyday while her SD is a young adult with her own life and her own mother...do people honestly expect the sharing and posting on social media to be "equal" between the kids? WHY???!!!!!

God forbid a mom who is also a SM show excitement and love toward her own children. That must mean she's an evil stepmom!!! 

Rags's picture

"I said to Alec: if she is not ok with our relationship, I cannot go further." 

Another idiot subjugating themselves to the prior relationship spawn of their spouse.

Not in my world.

I have no BKs. But if I did, they would hot be tolerated to jeopardize my marriage.  Either to their BM or their SM.  Nope. Not happenin.

Dad gave me this clear message when I was early in the snarky puberty years.  I only needed the message once. It was during a period where mom and I were struggling and were dealing with a lot of tension between us.

Skids need this message even more firmly than BKs IMHO.  The SParent abdicating their superior spousal status to a Skid is just insane.

smh

Dovina's picture

Really if all SM's to be said they would not marry unless pwecious SD is ok with it, well there wouldnt be this site or any SM's in this world. But then again, on a bad day THAT would be a good thing.

What utter BS nonsense that is being spewed on social media.

Mommabearboo's picture

Oh my goodness I want to throw up just reading these crap she wrote! I hate fake people like that trying to be amazing grace and make us realistic people look horrible. This is BS. 

ldvilen's picture

Hmm, "We have never had a fight or a bad moment."  Maybe because her husband Alec would have beat the crap out of both of them if they did?  I'm assuming this is the same daughter, Ireland that Alec Baldwin referred to as "a rude thoughtless pig" when she was 11.  

Hollywood trying to use a patsy SM to make up for, what was in the past at least (if not present), a highly dysfunctional family.  Gee, what else is new?

Birchclimber's picture

Yeah right, Hilaria.   ...and I believe in the tooth fairy.  I wonder what assumed name she is currently using on this site???  I mean, now that she's had more time to really settle into the warm and fuzzy role of step parenting, surely the reality has set in by now.  Not even she will be amune to the Skid problems...celebrity or not!