You are here

Having step kids wear masks the whole time

ladybug1974's picture

HI i did get a responce from someone earlier on another forum that i wrote.  Just getting some more opinions ... Do you think its ok to ask the SKIDS the wear masks the whole time there over ? Friday 430- Sunday at 1200noon ? They are both in school ( the 7 year old is in school and daycare ) and the 14 year old school and 2 buses each way to school ? they are always getting me sick, 

tog redux's picture

No, it's their home too, that's not reasonable.  Either talk DH into not having them, or go somewhere else for the weekend.

ladybug1974's picture

understood, just to clarify we have them 4 times a month. Its a bit more our place then theres no ? 

ESMOD's picture

No... when their father has custody.. it is their home for that duration... the amount of time per month really doesn't factor into this situation.

ESMOD's picture

I think it's not particularly realistic.  It also does seem like you are looking for an excuse to not have them come over... period.. and not just because of getting sick.   

I mean.. masks all the time.. but at the dinner table.. covid magically isn't a "thing"??    Maybe if you feel that you should wear a mask.. or isolate yourself more during their visit it would help.  You could ask your husband to do his visitation outside the home.. only you know how that will go with him.  You can't demand it.. it's his home too and he is entitled to have his children over.. and barring them trying to actively kill you with the kitchen scissors.. kids bring germs in.. and while your son may not have theoretically given you the same experience.. your immune system could be much different now.. and it's not necessarily his kid's fault that is the case.  

You can insist your husband do all the care for his kids so you can avoid being around them closely.  You could ask him to limit them from certain areas in your home perhaps.  But, I don't think wearing masks 24/7 will be effective at all.  I don't think masks provide much protection period.. gaps in the sides.. poorly handled.. poorly stored.. worn improperly.. it is really not any kind of real protection.

ladybug1974's picture

OK .. i understand thats why i asked... i would wear a mask to if need be,, so the other choice is push more then they wash there hands more and sanitize santize sanitize.. 

ESMOD's picture

Obviously dad needs to step this up.  at 7 and 14 they are old enough to know how to wash hands and not sneeze and cough on things/people.   You could go full on health department and post reminders in bathrooms that everyone washes hands.

You could also ask that he not let the kids go into rooms that you use and they don't need to go in.. your home office.. your bedroom.. your bathroom.  You could limit time in the same room with them too.  

In the end.. maybe with schools uppping their sanitation game.. maybe his kids won't have a bug this time?

Also.. beef up your own intake of Vitamin C.. Zinc before and during the visit.  

ladybug1974's picture

Its not a excuse it was a thought as a month ago that sunday they left that night i had a terriable sore throat that monday fever aches all of it,, this past visit same thing but attacked my muskles more, sneezing all of it. I have a weak immune system i guess nor i have a had small kids around to build that systerm up again untill the 2 boys , so now im being attacked and have to be carefull,, my mu also has breat cancer and im all she has and we are very close. i fell like i cant see her if the kids are over as i dont know what they give me everytime there over . plus i cant miss work all the ime as ill loose my job and this is not the time to to look for a new job if they fire me for missing work. 

ESMOD's picture

You could have also picked up the bug at work.. from your husband.. from shopping.  The kids may be a convenient and coincidental exposure..   Now, if they were, in fact, sick and you could tell they were sick..  Your husband needs to do what my parents would do and isolate the sick person from the household.  They stay in their room.. dad takes them their meals.. they get one unshared bathroom to use.. keep non-sick and sick apart.

ESMOD's picture

it could be coincidental that you are more stressed when the kids are there and that causes a dip in your immune system that then is opening you up to an infection you are getting from someone other than the skids...   the skids may stress you.. but they may not be the ones carrying the germs..

I would also work on zen seeking while they are there... really disengage your mind.. pamper yourself... go see friends.. go for walks to relax and let your husband parent his kids.

ladybug1974's picture

hmmm i guess that could be but to be honmest i really was never sick never missed work and never took sick days till they started coming over. we are very carfull and my work place has a safe zone that you enter and get your temperaute checked and noboby from outside can eneter the reception area. we are very carfull. im very carfull and santize and mask up wherever i go and wash my hands. No more then 2 days after they leave im sick, thats a  very unlikly coincedence i think . i just dont know. 

ladybug1974's picture

we only have the one bathroom, the kids are always sick ..they dont take vitimins at home nor eat properly. we cook 3 square helathy meals a day at home for them ahnd make sure there rested and take vitimins, its the complete oppistite  at they full time home 

Cover1W's picture

If people wore masks 75% of the time then the virus would be stopped. That's not happening so the virus goes on.  Simple science and studies have already been done on this.

So OP, for it to be effective coverage everyone in the house would have to wear a mask 75% of the time. Everyone, not just the skids.

ladybug1974's picture

ok its preety clear the masks all weekend isnt a thing :0 i will just make sure hubby cleans up after them more often and santizer in all rooms and teaching them proper hygine as they should know anyays . washhing hands other then just after food ( thats what is has been this whole time just after meals ) 

ladybug1974's picture

ok its preety clear the masks all weekend isnt a thing :0 i will just make sure hubby cleans up after them more often and santizer in all rooms and teaching them proper hygine as they should know anyays . washhing hands other then just after food ( thats what is has been this whole time just after meals ) 

BethAnne's picture

I would also try to air the house out as much as possible with the windows open if the weather allows it. 

ladybug1974's picture

i understand .. it was just a thought .. im just tired of being sick is all. I wont make them do that 

strugglingSM's picture

I'm wrestling with this same thing. We have Skids EOWE. I have no idea what they do or where they go when they are not with us. I also know that their stepfather and stepbrother work in retail and I believe that BM is not a big proponent of mask wearing. We'll have a new baby in our home soon and I'm anxious about them exposing her to COVID.

As much as this might be their "home" when they are here, the virus doesn't care and by all definitions they live "outside our household" for the most part. According to our state officials, spread in our region is now being driven by people gathering indoors with "close relatives" who live outside their household. Our state has also advised that anytime you are congregating inside with "people outside your household" you should wear masks. In addition, I've been told by my doctor that anyone around our baby - with the exception of myself and my DH - should wear a mask at all times. So, anyone saying it's unreasonable for SKids to wear masks in your home should consider the broader context. 

In my view, this is another area where stepparents are expected to give up control over something others would not dream of giving up control over...specifically, maintaining their own level of risk against disease exposure. I'm supposed to allow my SKids to come to my home with possible germs, because legally they are supposed to be at our home four days a month? I've avoided them so far during my pregnancy and will likely spend their time at our house isolating with my daughter. It seems a bit ridiculous that we will have to hide away in our own home, but I'm not willing to risk her health. DH is also high risk and would likely have serious complications if he contracted COVID, but I've had to put that out of my mind when Skids are around, because it's out of my control to ban them from visitation. 

And yes, DH and I have talked about not having them come over, but BM always threatens him with court if he does not take the kids and especially would now if it was due to our daughter. Even if she has no grounds, it would still lead to legal fees. So, this is a no win situation for me...and many other stepparents.  

tog redux's picture

In this case, your DH needs to not be afraid of BM, stop the visits for a bit, and represent himself in court. He's the problem here.

Would you and DH wear them, too? They aren't as effective if just the skids wear them. 

strugglingSM's picture

I rarely leave the house. Right now, I go to doctor's appointments and the rare trip to the supermarket, so don't wear a mask in the house, but if doing so would allow me to require Skids to wear them, then I would wear one. DH is also not working right now, so he goes to the supermarket and other necessary errands, but also primarily stays home. I think if I asked him to wear a mask when his kids were around, he would. They all wear masks when they are in the car together...at my request. 

My mother is coming out right before our daughter is scheduled to be born and she will be wearing a mask in our house...at least until she can get a COVID test. 

tog redux's picture

DH really should check with an attorney about BM's empty threats to take him to court - it's giving her too much power over him. 

strugglingSM's picture

Ultimately, he should just start ignoring her entirely and let her take him to court if she insists upon it. One thing I've learned, after going through two mediations with this woman, is that she will always win, because she is not above lying...even when faced with proof that she is lying she still digs her heels in and insists she is not lying. Mediations and even family court are not designed for fairness, they are designed for whoever is willing to go to the furthest extreme to get what they want. Anyone who is rational has no chance in any family law related matters, in my opinion. 

The irony is that I don't even think the kids really like coming to our house and DH has told them they don't have to, so we should just reach an agreement that they will stay home and arrange to do some things with DH when it works for all of them, but again, she believes that DH is "required" to take them, so she operates accordingly. 

Guiltriddenameteur's picture

You speak how I feel ❣ big hugs. And congrats for your little bundle when she arrives xx

Rumplestiltskin's picture

I'm pretty sure you can't do that. Plus they have to eat and shower and sleep and all that. 

ladybug1974's picture

Of course , i just meant while around me we have a small place and one bathroom ,, thats all. 

lieutenant_dad's picture

It's only reasonable if you're willing to do it, too. Not fair for you and DH to expose them while worrying about them exposing you.

Some practical tips would be to:

1.) Put hand sanitizer everywhere, including bathrooms. If they won't wash their hands properly, at least they can sanitize.

2.) Your DH sets up a cleaning schedule where he wipes down the bathroom, kitchen, door knobs, etc twice or more a day with an approved cleaning solution.

3.) Put Clorox wipes (or something similar) in the bathroom so everyone wipes down the sinks, toilet, etc after it is used (or at least so you can before and after you use everything).

4.) Get the best air filter your HVAC system can handle.

5.) Get an air purify. Might not help with COVID, but might help with other things.

6.) Open windows with at least 15 minutes once a day.

7.) Keep blinds open during sunny hours. UV rays can help kill some germs in your home.

8.) If you can get your hands on cans of Lysol aerosol, spray down common living areas once or twice a day.

9.) Sanitize your toothbrush (safely).

10.) Make sure you're getting recommended Vitamins C and D (don't overdo it, just recommended amounts).

11.) Do 15-30 minutes of cardio, preferably outside, to keep lungs in good function.

12.) Keep Kleenex easily accessible.

13.) Bleach/sanitize sheets and clean bedding weekly.

14.) Bleach/sanitize towels, and make them single use (don't use a bath towel more than once before cleaning).

15.) Wash reusable masks daily.

16.) Eat away from one another, and designate one person to cook and serve versus everyone helping themselves.

17.) Wash all dishes on the sanitize option.

18.) Get your flu shot, and stay updated on your vaccines.

There are likely dozens more tips, but this is a good start. If one of them gets COVID, visitation stops at whoever's house they're at. Same goes if they're exposed to COVID. 

Rags's picture

Sure.  However, better to stop visitation until the crisis is over and go to Zoom visitation.  The beauty of being the NCP household is that the NCP can refuse visitation and the CP is on the hook to provide for and care for the kids regardless.

I would say if you are going to go with physical visitation and masks, then everyone in the home hoses down with sanitizer regularly and wears a mask.

ElleP23's picture

Asking skids to wear masks, at times, makes sense to me. I am American but lived in Asia for a year in 2012, and it's all about how the mask-wearing is framed. If people see it as a punishment, then they will think it's cruel. But if they see it as the right thing to do to help themselves and others, then it is not cruel, just a part of life. For example, about three times when I was a teacher in Asia, a kid in my class came down with hand, foot, and mouth disease. That kid stayed home, but since the incubation period is 10 days for that sickness, we all wore masks for the next 10 days (except while eating and drinking), to stop the potential spread among my class, and we stopped going into the common areas (like the play area in the basement that many classes shared). It was boring and annoying, but a necessary precaution. I taught 3 and 4 year olds, and yes, they were expected to wear masks, and yes, they were able to do so fairly well. Asking your skids to wear masks while in certain common areas of the house is not beyond their abilities and is not cruel. Yes, it's somewhat extreme (by some people's standards and compared to what they're used to doing in their house), and they will need a lot of reminders, but it is a good lesson in caring about others and doing good deeds even when it's not easy.

Some people have stated that it is the skids' house too. Yes, true. It is the stepmom's house also. Why are the skid's desires of comfort more important than the stepmom's desire for health? Mask wearing protects them from each other as well--if one of them get COVID, the other may not get it. 

still learning's picture

If you're worried then you should be wearing a mask around skids and in the common areas. I choose to wear a mask in my home and distance when around my kids (luckily they are older and mostly self sufficient) because there was a case of covid at my work.  Unless they are symptomatic, the constant mask request for skids is unreasonable but hand washing every hour, deep cleaning with skids involved, taking vit C, healthy eating, are all reasonable.