You are here

H is an ass

ferretmom's picture

Yesterday my FIL came over to help H fix the toilet, he had to replace a seal. When they moved it they ripped the linoleum. When they got done FIL says he has an extra box of tiles from where he redid his bathroom and that he would come over next weekend and redo our bathroom floor. I thought that was very nice of him and told him so but asked if he could wait until I finish redoing the bathroom cabinets. That would take me a couple of days. H doesn't say a thing. Then FIL says he has enough ceramic wall tiles to do the wall behind my stove and he would do that when he did the bathroom floor. Still H says nothing. FIL used to do flooring and walls before he retired. So while we're visiting and having coffee FIL says he would like to redo our kitchen floor for us for Christmas and that I should pick out any kind of tile or other flooring I want. I was speechless, he started measuring and figuring out what he would need and telling us that he would do whatever we wanted to the kitchen. H and I have been talking about redoing the floor for over a year now but he's never gotten around to it. He never gets around to doing anything. I thought it was very generous for FIL to offer to do this for us. Last year he did SIL's whole house in hard wood flooring and remodeled the other SIL's family room and bathroom. Anyway he's making a list of everything he would need and H tells him no. He doesn't want or need his help that he would get around to it someday(never). Even if H doesn't want his father to redo our kitchen I think he should have been a little nicer about it. After his dad left we got into a big argument about it. I told him that he was being an ass about everything and that he should apologize to his dad. Right now he still isn't talking to me or his dad. I think he's being a monkey's butt and a big baby. What do you all think??

Sasha's picture

Did he say why he didn't want FIL to do it? Perhaps it's a pride thing. You know how guys are.

ferretmom's picture

No he didn't say why. I can't get him to understand that if he doesn't let his dad do this for us I'll have to hire someone to do it. I don't know if H can't do the repairs himself or if he's just too lazy. Either way his dad wants to do it and it would make him happy. I think he just doesn't want his dad over here all weekend then he couldn't sleep all day and play on his computer. That's all he pretty much does all day. I realize he works at night but only for about 4 to 5 hours. I'm tempted to put a hole in the floor so he can't argue about fixing it anymore. }:) My father always told me to never let my pride get before the welfare of my family. I just wish H felt the same way. Sad

sarahbernheart's picture

what a wonderful gesture from you FIL - your H's pride might have taken a beating, maybe talk to him see if he and his father had some altercation one time or another about this same thing at a different time?
I will take your FIL offer!!
put a hole in the floor...I am a passive agressive personality anyway!!
good luck
"Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without one."

melis070179's picture

wow...that probably really hurt FIL's feelings...why would he do that to his own father?

Just because you CAN give birth, doesn't mean you SHOULD

bewitched's picture

"To Thine Own Self Be True" William Shakesphere

Your H sits around all weekend on the computer? That's mine. He was here for 4 days. What did he do? Eat. Sleep. Critize everything I did. Watch TV. Oh-he did cook-for his daughters. And held the ladder while I cleaned the roof. Nice. My life. Your life.

Most Evil's picture

DH can go suck eggs - that is a great offer and you know it would make FIL happy too! Tell FIL to come on over and DH to go somewhere if he doesn't want to be there!! He probably feels it makes him look bad (ahem)!!

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth." - Vladimir Lenin

ferretmom's picture

What's really sad is that I'm better at home repair than H is. My father taught me how to do basic stuff so I wouldn't have to constantly hire a repairman. I'm pretty good with cars too. I honestly think a big part of H's problem is that he's jealous that his father can talk to me about things like that. He hates it when I show the least bit of independence. He has his head up his butt so much that it's kind of funny. Maybe I should do a blog and explain somethings about me and him.

melis070179's picture

Please do!

"Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes. There's too much fraternizing with the enemy"