You are here

THE GROUND RULES OF STEP-PARENTING

steppie1999's picture

FOUND THIS...THOUGHT I'D SHARE...

Here are some points to help stepmothers and stepfamilies deal with some of the problems these myths present.

Prepare for the stepmother role. Gathering information about their new family before the marriage can help stepmothers with relationships, family dynamics, and avoid problems later on.

Stepmothers should begin their new roles as they intend to live them. From day one, stepmothers should insist on courtesy and respect. It's hard to make positive changes if these things don't happen at the beginning of a relationship with children and other family members.

Stepmothers are not and will never be the children's mother. Stepmothers occupy a role that once belonged to someone else. Negativity is usually directed toward the new person, so stepmothers should try to not take these negative feelings personally. These negative feelings would be projected upon anyone who took the absent mother's place. But children should be assured that a stepmother plays a different role although she may have some "mothering" responsibilities.
There are no ideal role models for this job. Every stepmother situation is unique and there is no "normal" way of doing things. Myths, fairy tales, and negative statistics about stepmoms should be ignored. The stepmother role should be based on what's comfortable for her, the children, and the family as a whole.
Stepmothers will always share their husband with his children for the rest of their married life. A strong bond may exist between a husband and his children from a prior marriage. Jealousy can be avoided if stepmothers realize and accept this early in the relationship.

The marriage should be the priority. If the couple doesn't work on their marriage, nothing the stepmother does will work. A united front—the husband and wife—must come first before relationships can be built with the rest of the family. When couples have the support and love of one another, they can function at the most favorable levels to help the rest of the stepfamily members.
It's not unreasonable if stepmothers don't love their stepchildren or vice versa. Stepmothers shouldn't feel guilty if they don't immediately feel love and affection for their stepchildren. It takes time to build relationships. Family members should treat each other with respect and fairness, remembering that it is possible to be caring and nurturing, even if there are not great feelings of mutual love.

Develop a working relationship with the stepchildren's mother. Stepmothers can benefit from talking to and sharing with the other mother. The two mothers don't have to like each other, but it is helpful if they can work together for the welfare of the children.

The stepmother/stepchild relationship is one of the most difficult family relationships to develop and maintain. Families need to communicate and work together to dispel the myth of the wicked stepmother so their family relationships can begin to grow.

I AGREE WITH A LOT OF WHAT'S HERE BUT FEEL LIKE SOME OF IT IS UNREALISTIC AND SUSPECT IT MAY HAVE BEEN WRITTEN BY SOMEONE WHO'S NEVER BEEN IN OUR SHOES :?

kassandrarayne's picture

The only relationship I want to have with the BM is the bottom of my shoe connected to her butt.

bellacita's picture

thats hilarious! i wish for the same relationship, except maybe it would be more like the bottom of my tire connected to her ugly face!! just kidding!!!

mediocrityrulesman's picture

I wrote a paper like that in one of my last classes for college. Of course there were academic guidlines to follow but I included more than what that article did. My paper had the viewpoints of Birth mothers, step mothers, and the childrens. Im assuming that whoever wrote that had to take on an unbiased viewpoint but they definiately could have made it more helpful. With my paper being for a class, it really had parts of self-help for all partys.

"If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" ~ Milton Berle

mediocrityrulesman's picture

My paper is written so unbiased its gross but...I can. I didnt really get to share my point of view really well but I'll share for sh*ts and giggles. I'll post it as a personal blog.

"If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" ~ Milton Berle

anncanbike's picture

Friends with BM. I don't think so... for some reason she blames me for everything wrong in her life. I didn't meet her husband until he was an ex so I had nothing to do with them divorcing. Plus dated him 4+ years before we got married, & I refused to live with him. I am a traditional person & wanted to set the proper example for the swins so I didn't stay over night either. The opposite of her as I put swins first when they are with us, go along with DH on stuff. Still she thinks I'm responsible for amt. of c.s. she gets, I'm not. Judge decided based on his income. She really needs to get a job.

steppie1999's picture

Funny how most of you focused on the same line I did when i found this.....to make friends with BM....YEAH RIGHT...if only that were possible!

"SOME PEOPLE WEREN'T MEANT TO HAVE CHILDREN" Sad

ColorMeGone2's picture

But I wouldn't have said that four years ago. If we could have overcome our respective egos sooner, I probably could have had a reasonable working relationship with BM. I now wish I had done more to try to make that happen back then, but as it is, we enjoy a respectful co-existence now after many years of hostility. We still piss each other off, but we don't wage all-out war anymore.

♥ Georgia, the un-stepmom ♥

"Good men don't just happen. They have to be created by us women." (from ROSEANNE)

kassandrarayne's picture

Well I can say that the SD's BM and I will never be friends because I can't stand the sight of her. I can say that I have the shoe on the other foot when it comes to my sons BF. His GF and I get along great...the 2 of us talk on the phone and dis him whenever we get the chance! LOL My son loves her which makes it a lot easier for me. The GF he had before her I would have liked to do the same thing as bellacita!! }:)

bellacita's picture

that comment was made merely in jest!! Wink

PinkPixie's picture

I actually get along very well with my sd's mom. It wasn't that way at first, but we were able to maintain a level of civility that gradually eased its way into something better. We're not "friends" but we are friendly and chat easily when we see one another. I am glad, as that has eased my life a great deal. I no longer worry about being perceived as the enemy, and I don't have to perceive her that way anymore. It is such a blessing! It was hard work, but to those of you struggling with this, just know that every relationship can improve with enough work and effort. In my case, it about killed me, but it has been well worth it!

PinkPixie's picture

I think you need to differentiate between the word 'friends' with 'friendly.' While I have a great relationship with my sd's bm, I don't consider her my friend. We get along, are able to discuss what we need to discuss, show a polite but shallow interest in one another's lives. It has worked very well because now that she doesn't view me as the enemy, everything is much smoother and I don't feel like she is trying to alienate me from sd anymore. So don't think you have to make this person your bff in order to improve the working relationship with her. Like I said before, all relationships can improve, and if it makes your life better to get along with someone a little more, then why not?

PinkPixie's picture

It was a lengthy process. I think it started when I began ignoring her attempts to upset me. It began when I found little ways to compliment her, even if it was something very simplistic. It began to change when my attitude towards her softened, and she could see it. It began when I approached her and asked her for advice occasionally. Something like, "how do you handle this when it happens at your house?" (Most of the time I had to grit my teeth whenever I talked to her, but I didn't let her know it). Eventually I picked up the phone and called her when it became necessary, rather than having dh do it. I was courteous and polite to a fault, even if what she was saying was not. I was careful to say really nice things about her to my sd, knowing that it had a good chance of getting back to her. When there was a major disagreement, I stayed out of it (as far as she knew) and let dh handle it.

All those little things accumlated and bm realized I wasn't evil. She started changing her attitude towards me and now we're at the point where we can chat for 15-20 minutes about stuff when we see one another with no problem. All this was a process of about 2 years.

While it was hard on me and it took some major work, I maintain that it was all well worth it. Now that bm and I get along, there is almost zero drama. We can focus on our family without feeling like she is always involved. It saved my marriage.

vikki's picture

I am really impressed. I have had a major down day today and your patience is inspiring. I do have to admit that i agree with everyone else in this forum about the no possible chance in hell of becoming friends with the BM theory however. i have been married to my husband for 2 years now and i dont want to get to the 10 year mark and my marriage hanging by a string and then think "i should grab the bull by the horns (literally) trick. I really want to feel some peace in my life. I feel at the moment that my life is defined by this troll and by being a stepmum. I actually cant believe it but i feel like i am back in school however i was never bullied in school and now i have been called every name (some you would never dream of) under the sun and it is tarnishing me. I am turning into a resentful, angry, jealous person. I dont like things i used to, i attack at any opportunity but except the one person i would like to ark up to, i cower and pretend like i dont exist. My husband does all the dealings. I am sick of feeling like she is under my skin. It is hard because i feel i cant get to know the kids better because all i see is her and my resentment towards my husband. I ask people reading this to please not judge me, this is a very raw wound for me. I need to find strength from somewhere.

howtostepmom's picture

I really hear you in this letter, I am in the same boat..... could we help each other?

Sweatheart's picture

I have done the same on the phone & in person as you decribed with the BM. After 4 years, things never changed-actually they have gotten worse!

Worse because DH has very slowly taken control of things that she always had "until I came along." Things like: her having a key to our house & hanging out in our house when we are not home-rummaging through our things & our bedroom. Yeah, I am such a bitch! Do you believe I was not o.k. with that? I know, I am such an unreasonable person! Yeah, I have issues & this is the only place where I can vent-sorry!

Sweatheart's picture

You all are the only human beings on the planet that I have "met" who understand! Other people tell me-"well she's the mother of his children, maybe she needs to be able to get in sometimes to get things for them". This has been a long road for me & many times I have felt like telling DH it's over. The lack of support has made things very difficult. Sometimes I think back to all of the crap I have put up with and wonder how I have made it this far! DH acts like I have broken his soul by having him make these changes.

vikki's picture

I hate when people say that, as if this world only revolves around these skids, sorry i know some of you are snarling at me but i admit it i have major issues to. The number 1 priority should be your marriage. But alot of people out there think that that plays secondfiddle to the skids and there mother making sure everyone is happy in that situation first.

Sweatheart's picture

There were other issues too, that were just crazy. It got to the point, that I got so sick of her being able to have control over our house & our lives, that I did recently put my foot down. I told DH that he had to get a lawyer & take some steps towards a restraining order, or whatever we were able to do legally (since he destroyed all of the evidence he had AND would never call the police each time of an incident)to set some boundaries with her, or I was leaving. Just then, the skid's conservative catholic school teacher called a meeting for what I would describe as an "intervention" on her behavior at the school, THE SCHOOL put thier foot down and put boundaries in place for her! They told her she was not allowed to come into the school anymore when dropping the kids off, because she was creating a disruption. She was crazy, and opened up to them about her whole sick agenda, not realizing how crazy she sounded, just made things worse for her self. Since that meeting, her behavior has changed drastically-but NOT because of DH, because of the school. (She has stopped calling our house like a nut job)DH said he would still hire a lawyer, and we have been calling around to find a good one. The trouble is, DH talks to his family, minimizes the situation with BM, they don't understand what is going on, give him bad advice to just not do anything-and HE LISTENS TO THEM! I told him he needs to stop talking to his parents about this because they just don't get it & are more concerned with "What will the community think?" than wether or not their daughter in law ends up with a bullet in her head from psychotic BM!

Sweatheart's picture

I read the part about the Biomom. Whoever wrote this is really out of touch. I have always read the opposite, in fact. I have read many times that step moms & bio moms should be cordial when they see each other in front of the kids (of course) but other than that, any communication should be left up to her & DH. And I have to say that I agree. Any attempt for me to communicate with biomom has been a disaster at best! We are at the point now that we should have gotten a restraining order on her years ago-so in our case, we are dealing with a total nut job.

PinkPixie's picture

I agree that it can't work in every case, but I see no problem with a stepmom and a biomom having a good working relationship. I realize not every bm is going to get on board, but in my case, I felt it was worthwhile to try. I totally disagree that bm's and stepmom's should avoid contact if they are both able to communicate in a reasonable way. The children only benefit from all the adult parental figures in their lives come together and parent as a team. True, if the bm and stepmom can't communicate without drama, then it needs to be kept to a minimum, but I like to think that all of this is a work in progress. If I had to live the rest of my life the way I did during the first few years of my marriage, I would never have been able to stay married. It had to improve or else I had to leave it behind. So I decided it was worth the effort.

It was really tricky when the new babies came along because she was pretty hateful about that. I think my oldest was about 3 before she ever even glanced in his direction. I like to see it as a war of attrition. You avoid big battles and win a little bit at a time. I even asked the bm if she was holding any grudges against me. I opened up that dialogue with her after awhile to try to finally clear the air. After she got some things off her chest and I told her that I understood, she started acting even better.

And I am appalled that ANYONE would think it is okay for a bm to have a key to your home. That violates everything in this world that is sacred. WRONG. I don't give a key to my best friend, and I certainly wouldn't give a key to a woman who has every reason to want to snoop through my belongings.

Sweatheart's picture

I have been thinking about what you said, and thinking back to any interactions that BM & I have had over the years, and I really have made an effort, and have ALWAYS been extremely nice to her, in my case, I think it would just be impossible to reach any headway with her. She has so much hatred & is so irrational. She never said anything directly to me, she would leave messages, or tell DH what she thought of me. I think you are right & I agree with everything you said-You are an inspiration to all of us!

vikki's picture

Pink Pixie, when my daughter came along i want to avoid her having anything todo with the others bm. I want to protect her as much as possible. Iam just looking forward to the "you mum vs my mum" conversations that they will have. I JUST WANT A NORMAL LIFE FOR MY DAUGHTER MY HUSBAND AND I!!!!!!! Sorry slight outburst just really frustrated.

Gwen's picture

I work with DH on parenting, and he works with BM, although I can talk to her, and have, if need be. I just avoid it b/c let's face it, the dynamics are dang complicated, and btw I don't really like her and I'm not real good at being genuinely friendly to people I don't like, no matter how hard I try. The article says 'work together' -- well, what does that mean, 'work together'? She has a totally different outlook on parenting and life etc. etc. from me, so who am I to engage her about her children? I engage DH and, as it happens, DH and I share parenting philosophies, so he carries the ball in most of the co-parenting communication, representing both of us. Most of the time, though, it's I who tell him "BM needs to know about this piece of info, we need to communicate re: this, pls. send an email" so the funny thing is that it really is mostly BM and I that are coordinating on the day to day details, it's just through DH. I tried the direct route, and frankly the dynamics are just too weird; we are too different in the way we move through the world. It is too fraught with peril, too ripe with latent conflict, and just not good for me, for her, or for the kids.

However, we definitely are "on the same team" in the sense that BM respects that I too am 'parenting' the children. She has always been good about that, and I respect that, even when I cannot stand her. She cc:s me on co-parenting emails big and small, calls me directly from time to time, would listen if I had an issue or answer if I have a question (I rarely have either) -- albeit with a grudge she probably wouldn't admit to herself. And I in turn respect that she is my SS and SD's mother, and I spend lots of time making sure that she receives key information and that the two households work together to manage the children's lives and keep them healthy and happy. I'm guessing she probably knows this, but the arrangement seems to work fine for everyone at present. We say hi nicely when we see each other, and sometimes discuss little things about the kids, but otherwise I don't feel the need, nor do I want to, talk about anything else going on in my world or hers. So I think I am a step behind "friends" or even as much "friendly" as some, but I feel just fine about the level of relationship. I think it is right where it needs to be for the kids' best interests, except for that 5% of the time when she goes off the deep end on some big drama bender. Fewer and farther between, knock on wood!!

Most Evil's picture

There are 2 things I don't get on this, and I have seen them stated before:

1. children should be assured that a stepmother plays a different role although she may have some "mothering" responsibilities - to avoid negative feelings toward the SM.

Ok, does the kid not know who their mom is? do they really think they get an extra mom and are worried about that in some way? Its like we have to bend over backwards to be non-threatening to a child now, plus the mom, really anyone in any way, and I get enough of that as a woman at my job, etc. already, ya know?

2. A strong bond may exist between a husband and his children from a prior marriage. Jealousy can be avoided if stepmothers realize and accept this early in the relationship.

Our BM accuses me of being jealous of my SD. Yeah, I wish I was 16 again, broke and can't drive or do anything without someone's permission? please. What I do have a problem with is when the kid comes to bleed us dry for whatever she can get out of us (me really since DH money is already gone to pay her mom), is lazy, does not help, and complains and I am not allowed to say anything about her bad attitude etc. without it being a problem with her mom. How is that me being jealous of a child?

I just had to get this out. I am trying to dispel these stereotypes! To me swallowing these 'truths' is just catering to someone who is trying to control you anyway, even if they are an ex-wife or a child. And that is not happening!! thanks for listening

VIKKI's picture

HEAR HERE!

anncanbike's picture

I constantly think about "what-if" I caught BM in my house -- regardless of it be with swins or alone. Although I am not a violent person I am fearful I'd attack her physically. My question is when I beat the crap out of her or call police to report a break-in, if no swins are around, would I be in trouble legally or morally? This is going to happen, just a question of when...

anncanbike's picture

Yesterday a stellar Mother's Day commerical came on: everything she did, I do for swins. I loved part that said "weather control", meaning having them wear jackets, etc. This is totally impossible for me to do & DH doesn't see my point. They (DH & swins) had me believing I was retarded for doing "weather control" bc they are boys -- well the commercial stated it was a Mother duty. Is that where I'm going astray? Did I cross the line and do a Mother duty whereas I am their SM? I just can't look the other way let them wear shorts when its snowing and DH says they are the ones who will be cold. That's being a crummy DH & father if you ask me.

Gmama's picture

you had some great points, I do love my step son and i think we get along great, i cant think of anything bad to say about him.I do not always agree with my husbands parenting skills,
we look at parenting very diffreantly, so maybe sometimes its not the kids that have the problems, its how the bio PARENT handles situations.( and I'm just as guilty of not handeling MY kids the way i should) as far as the BM goes, i have told my hubby MANY TIMES,it is NOT MY PLACE to make pease with HER, she is nobody to me,
I am the one in her childs life she should be the one making the first step to set things right. I feel if there was another woman in my childs life, i would take the incentive to make the first move and set the ground rules with her direct not threw my EX. you bet I want to get to know her.my SS BM has never once tried to get to know me,the one and only time we actually had a conversation didnt go well at all!!!!!!!!and we were served papers 2 weeks after that. i havent spoken to her since last july.