You are here

Graduation

ladybug1974's picture

HI so the older step son is graduating soon. do you think it would be a hole thing to do not to go ?  My partners ex will be there of course and his fmaily and hers, i fell like mabye i should just sit it out and let them do there thing. I have a gift for him of course. Or do i go ? he would not even notice im not there to be honest . 

CLove's picture

Schedule something. Spa day. Friends Day.

notarelative's picture

What does your partner want? I would have preferred not to go to SD's graduation. Sitting in the sun, listening to the speeches, waiting for the kid to walk across the stage -- not my idea of fun. But, he wanted me to go with him. I went.

ladybug1974's picture

he wants me to go ,, he said im goin to be there for him and my step soin its not about me he said 

ndc's picture

Are he and the stepson usually there for you? That comment wouldn't sit well with me unless they were. 

1st3rd5thWEInHell's picture

Were you invited? I wouldnt go unless i was invited. I gave SS17 a card with a message stating he was "one step closer to adulting and becoming independent!" and a $50.00 bill. His dad signed the card and gave another $50.00... We were not invited to the "graduation" (not a real one, just some high school equivalency program but not GED) although BM2 told the children she was planning on inviting my husband and I to which i smiled and nodded (was going to fake some type of illness or work related obligation and let husband go on his own) but it turns out,they ended up having it without asking any of us to come

PetSpoiler's picture

It would depend first on whether or not you were invited.  The second question would be what kind of relationship do you have with SS?  

ESMOD's picture

What's the plan for his graduation.. is there a party after? is he going to lunch with mom? with dad? 

If you are generally close to him.. and there are tickets available.. I would go with your DH.. no need to sit next to BM.  It's a milestone for his son.. and I'm sure he will appreciate you going with him.

If you have some reasonable cause to not go.. medically can't sit in the sun.. or have conflict.. then your DH could go without you I guess.

It's really up to you. your ss likely won't even know you aren't there.. and the gift will be plenty.

ladybug1974's picture

My partners mum will ask us to sit all togther as she doesnt care about anything,  i dont feel the need to sit togther as a happy little fake family, i want to sit apart. 

ladybug1974's picture

Also there is my other step son that may go hes 10, so what if he sits with his mum where does my partner sit ? with me or his 10 year old and ex ? 

ladybug1974's picture

Also there is my other step son that may go hes 10, so what if he sits with his mum where does my partner sit ? with me or his 10 year old and ex ? 

Rags's picture

Beam your happiness.  Before the event, get a rockin hot dress, a full spa day make over, and a beautiful hair style.

The oppostion can respond as they choose with the caveate that if they get toxic, you bare their ass.

Keep whispering sweet nothings into your SO's ear and pump him up for the event.

Living well is the best revenge.  Go and enjoy your revenge, together wih your SO.

Seraphina_SP23's picture

Personal opinion, you should go. Even if it's uncomfortable for you and even if you think he won't notice. My SD is graduating this year as well and I DO NOT want to go, but I'm going, and here's why:

My own parents divorced when I was 10. My dad remarried when I was 14 and my mom remarried when I was 18. Both of my step parents went to everthing they could to be there not only for me but for their spouse (my parents). It didn't phase me then. I liked them and wanted them there but didn't think much of it. Now that I'm an adult and have step children of my own, I know what they went through to be there for me and I have a ton of respect for that. My step parents and I have a great relationship now and I wouldn't change it for the world. I am so glad they sucked it up and went to my graduation and everything else they could.

Just go and worry about yourself and your SO. No one else. And SS obviously...

ladybug1974's picture

Im going :)  gosh i wish alchol wasnt frowned upon at these things lol . its in a church as well