You are here

Gift Ideas!

SeeYouNever's picture

What's on your lists for the kids in your life? Step and bio? I'm at a loss for ideas! Maybe we can help each other think of ideas.

BD1-play kitchen, noise making toys. One year olds are easy to entertain but somehow hard to shop for. She's got a bunch of books already and I'm trying to think of things that would be fun for her to open on Christmas morning. 

SD12- Nail polish case/caddy. She really liked mine so I told DH to get her one with some polish to fill it. Other than that we're just waiting for her expensive list to arrive...

Stepmama2321's picture

We got a pickler for my DD first birthday as well as a ball pit (that stays in her playpen so the balls don't go everywhere). 1 yo are hard to shop for!

For the 12 yo, self care things like a pedi spa thing that you can find at Walmart during this time of year, fuzzy socks, bath bombs, face masks. 

SeeYouNever's picture

Oh a pickler seems cool! My mom and brother were asking what to get her and I said "I don't know something to climb on."

ESMOD's picture

BD1... maybe a good quality wood block set?  I know it sounds sort of old fashioned.. but I really think that gifts that push imaginative play are good.  Block sets teach motor skills... spatial awareness.. imagination, physics (baby style physics..lol).  

Another thing that my OSD has found helpful is a wagon with decent "off road" tires.. when they are young they can ride on.. when they are older they can pull it themselves.

12 yo... I would wait for her list to see what she asks for.  In my house we got one "centerpiece" present.. then some smaller things..   She is also getting old enough to have some reasonable expectations relayed regarding what exactly everyone may be willing to spend.. and when she asks for "bigger" items.. it may be something that is a joint gift from multiple people.

advice.only2's picture

I agree for the 1 year old anything that makes noise, kids love things that make noise...lol it's the parents who take the batteries out.

For SD12 maybe a little gift basket from Bath and Body Works...they have a lot of different smelly good stuff.

We got BD14 a computer, but she needs it for school since they are still virtual and probably will be until at least next school year.

BS20 we got him some little things he sent us in a list (new picket knife, some books) I figure some money as well.

SeeYouNever's picture

I'm fine with noisy stuff as long as it isn't vtech. I hate those toys and they just keep trying to talk to the kid long after they've stopped hitting buttons. So annoying!

I guess all the bath and cosmetics are still good for SD12, I feel like we've gotten her some version of that for the last 4 years. 

Winterglow's picture

For your bd1, check out the bath toy aisle. There are some wonderfully fun things that you pour water into, wheels that turn, bits that move, things that make noise. You'll also find crayons for scribbling on the bathtub (they rinse off). I love bath toys! 

Cover1W's picture

I usually play it safe, SDs don't get a ton from me for various reasons. But I do one nice thing, like a new comforter set or soft blanket or something that stays in this house.

YSD14 refuses to do lists or tell us what she wants so it's impossible.

New socks, fun patterns.

New pajamas, always needs these.

Something related to bicycling as she likes it. New gloves, water bottle, etc.

That's all I've got. She abhors anything girly too so no makeup, fancy soaps, etc. She hoards money and gift cards (i.e. parents don't make sure she uses them) so I gave up there too. Clothes are out since she refuses to wear anything she doesn't pick out herself. This year she's not going to get much. Maybe a puzzle. 

Steppedonnomore's picture

I recently discovered Conscious Step socks.  There are a variety of causes the sock purchases support and the socks are good quallity.  My grand daughter will have some in her stocking this year to support a cause dear to her.