You are here

Gift giving between exes

DW's picture

Is it alright for someone to give a birthday/Christmas present to his/her ex? Is it alright to let the child they share pass on the gifts to each other? Does it make a difference what kind of relationship the two exes have with each other when it comes to giving each other presents? Does it matter if either ex are in a relationship with someone at that time?

aggravated1's picture

Why would someone give the person they divorced or are no longer with a gift? I don't care what kind of relationship someone has with their ex, if you still feel that strongly about them that you go buy a gift, perhaps you should still be together. I see no reason for it.

aggravated1's picture

DH's ex gives us a gift card every year from her, not SK's. We just cannot figure out why. I mean, she has no income other than child support since she refuses to work, so it's like we bought it for ourselves.

Lovepets's picture

LMAO aggravated!!! :P" I mean, she has no income other than child support since she refuses to work, so it's like we bought it for ourselves."

tugofwar's picture

I have taken issue with this too, the difference is BM expects us to buy her a gift for all the holidays and wish her happy bday and moms day etc. If she doesn't get that she will send DH a smart ass email "yes the mother of your child is having a wonderful birthday" or one said she was mortified that we had not purchased a gift for SD to give her :? The funny thing is DH has moved on with me and BM has moved on and is getting married too, I think now that there are two separate complete families that they should mind their own and do for their own not expect from us. We want nothing from his ex and she knows it so she always has to send some smart ass gift over, she's stupid they just go straight to the trash. I should start collecting the crap she gives DH and re gift to her on Christmas LOL

fullhouseof5's picture

We help the kids pick out something for BM for Christmas and Birthday and she does the same and helps them pick something for DH. Around Christmas time this really bothered me as I felt it was now my job to help them pick something for DH, but then I realized that it was one less thing on my list of things to do....so let her deal with that! Smile

mom2five's picture

I help the kids pick out something for their mother/father. But I do it because it means a lot to the kids, not for my husband's ex-wife/my ex-husband.

beachstepmom's picture

My husband's ex girlfriend which also happens to be the mother of my SS7 used to attempt to give him gifts well into the first year we were together. One gift was even as extreme as a gold rope necklace. She attempted to pass these gifts through my SS7 who was only 3 at the time. My husband sent the gifts back each and every time through SS7 and told him that Mommy needed to save her money. Needless to say, she did everything she possibly could to try and "win" back my husband. I thought it was pathetic and hilarious!

twistedworld's picture

IMHO it's completely inappropriate. It blurs the lines between what it OK and what isn't. There is nothing psychologically healthy for anyone involved in doing so. I agree that if you are from a family of "gifters" a "family" gift is ok, because youw ould do that with other families as well... but BM to DH NEVER or vice versa.

helena_brass's picture

I don't think it's appropriate for someone to give a gift to an ex if one or both are in new relationships. Many people have posted that they help their skid(s) pick out gifts for the bioparent; like them, I think that's alright because it's really from the skid(s).

I do know divorced couples (my parents), though, who still exchange gifts with one another. I never realized how weird/awkward/creepy/inappropriate it was until I started to date a divorcee. Yes, some people do have different relationships with their exes, but that doesn't make it okay.

DevilElf's picture

I think like anything else it's "okay" or not depending only on the people involved. Blanket statements don't work so well here. Then again, I've been known to given gifts to my ex. Nothing big and it isn't like I go looking for it but if I see something I know he'd like, I'll make it a point to tell the girls about it so they can get it for him. And he does the same. Neither of us has any other family so even though we've moved on, I think we still appreciate the thought.

My litmus test for this and so many other things is "If this were anyone else, what would I do?" If I had a co-worker that really, really liked something and I saw the perfect gift cheap - I'd buy it. Doesn't mean I have a crush on my co-worker, it means that I'm doing something nice that makes me feel good. So if I'd do it for a co-worker, why wouldn't I do it for my ex?

caregiver1127's picture

Ok Ok...this is who I am....

Submitted by Step-parent to 3 on Tue, 10/26/2010 - 5:19pm

General Discussion

Ok ok..this is who i am. Im actually a 14 year old girl who just wanted to see how mad everyone would get....and wow, you guys got mad, i was pulling stuff out of my butt left and right keeping you guys going.to funny....But you guys are just like the people on the other site. Bashing a person you dont even know cause you dont agree with what they are saying or how they parent....wow, im glad you guys are not my parents....

skylarksms's picture

Good way of pointing this out to people. Sucks that not everyone reads what you put out there to realize that you are quoting another poster, rather than saying that yourself!

(if that makes sense)

caregiver1127's picture

Guys I know what your all meant and I think we are all thankful that step to3 is none of our skids or even bio - I just don't want people to think she is real and then start arguing with her but you all know what is going on and no offense was taken - gofoit you need to go to the poster who you want to reply to and hit reply on that post - learned my lesson the hard way once when I replied at the end of something and someone pointed out I made no sense - learned after that very quickly how to manuver the board. I am putting her outing post on every thread she is commenting on - she needs to be stopped!

caregiver1127's picture

It takes me a while to figure things out but once I make a mistake I do try to correct it because as I am sure you can tell I love to get my point across - lol

caregiver1127's picture

Ok Ok...this is who I am....

General Discussion

Ok ok..this is who i am. Im actually a 14 year old girl who just wanted to see how mad everyone would get....and wow, you guys got mad, i was pulling stuff out of my butt left and right keeping you guys going.to funny....But you guys are just like the people on the other site. Bashing a person you dont even know cause you dont agree with what they are saying or how they parent....wow, im glad you guys are not my parents....

caregiver1127's picture

General Discussion

caregiver1127's picture

General Discussion

caregiver1127's picture

General Discussion

DevilElf's picture

That hasn't been my experience. My relationship with BD is very, very different from most and yet just a little way up this thread when I posted about it, another poster very respectfully disagreed with me. No bashing. Just differing opinions.

Perhaps some introspection is in order?

purpledaisies's picture

Nope never ever a reason to buy the ex a gift. You are not together anymore why would you get a gift for someone that you say you don't care about anymore?

unbelieveable's picture

We just do the art thing. The kids understand their parents are NOT together...obviously. We have a piggy bank just to be able to afford to do fun things with the kids...how would we and why would we spend another dime on their mother? No way. They get it. And it is the same out there.