You are here

Gf's kids driving me out of my mind!!! Don't really like any of the 4

Fulldraw76.'s picture

We have been together a little over a year now . She is my jr high first love. She is 40 and I'm 43 . Her x is a doctor and they have 4 kids together ages from 7 -15. I have had to work my ass off for everything I've ever had. I have been easier on my kid than my life was but they work and want to work and understand the value of money. These kids on the other hand don't give a shit about anything but themselves! They have went as far to take her bank card and buy hundreds of dollars in games online with virtually no discipline or repercussions. Lazy as the day is long and just as mouthy! Disrespectful spoiled brats! They refuse to clean up after themselves they refuse to flush a toilet apparently they can't wipe their own ass they're just gross!! The problem is I truly do love her and don't want to walk away but I don't know how much longer I can deal with this madness. 

still learning's picture

4 kids in those age ranges are going to be madness even under the best circumstances. You can love this woman and have a relationship w/her w/out moving in and being daddy.  Remember that the 4 darlings already have a father and you're not it! If he's a doctor he can afford to pay for their online games and get therapy to deal with their lovely behavior. Your relationship is primarily with your gf not her kids.  

I hope you still have your own place.  

ldvilen's picture

SL is right, everyone is going to need therapy with that mess going on!  When you get involved with someone with children, you get thrown right into the middle of whatever is going on at that point and into the future as well.  We'd all like to think that we'll be seen as what most of us are, a fairly innocent party thrown into the mix.  But, alas!, instead and more than likely, you'll be blamed for whatever they can get away with--much better and easier to blame non-blood than blood.  And, that includes not only the SKs, but bio-dad and even bio-mom, in this case.

Take stock of what you are gaining from this relationship with bio-mom, and decide how you want your future to look.  Stay, go, disengage from the SKs.  You have more options than you might think, but if you stay, you are going to have to turn a blind eye to your SKs' antics and be prepared to have little to do with them as possible, no matter what your GF may desire.  It is not uncommon for bio-parents to, albeit unknowingly, set their partner up for failure with their children and then turn around and act like you are supposed to be their second (if not primary) dad, and then imply that because you are not fulfilling the role as they see it, there is something wrong with YOU.  

You can see such an example already starting with GF here.  I'm not sure what her expectations are for you, but apparently she expects you to stomach her lack of discipline, which, OK, but on the other hand, she could easily at some point in the future go after YOU for not having a better relationship with her children.  Think about it.  Step-parenting is not easy and is very complicated, much moreso than most think.

tog redux's picture

Your GF needs to parent her kids. Bio dad isn’t the problem in YOUR home, the mother is. (and by the way, doctors work very hard in their education and in their jobs). 

Fulldraw76.'s picture

The kids dad refuses to discipline or stand up to and of them . As soon as they push back he's done! The oldest has literally broken and destroyed everything in his room because he was asked to load the dishwasher.  They one want anything to do with their father is when they want something and it's completely apparent! 20 hours a day on video games the youngest that same amount of time on YouTube.  Turn the internet off and the world has completely ended!! Let the fighting begin!!

tog redux's picture

How the kids behave in YOUR home is your GF's responsibility.  Why are you so focused on what the father does and not holding your GF accountable for letting the kids misbehave in your home?

shamds's picture

At age 18 the power went out, he kept going to the mains on a mission to restore power when it was the electricity companys issue restoring power. For 2 hours he basically spent walking out of his room to mains scratching his head like he was on drugs and suffering withdrawal symptoms and kept calling his dad at work every 30 mins.

Hubby messaged me saying theres nothing he can do, he doesn’t own the electricity company so you just have to wait to repair the issue. He doesn’t understand dad runs a bank and has bigger priorities that having electricity come on so you can play computer games like a useless little shit.

what happened to spending time as a family, reading a book, making yourself useful around the house. Stepkids are often such spoilt brats... i feel like smashing his computer up but he’s not my screwed up kid, he has 2 parents responsible for him and his behaviour so my conscience is clear. 

I try my best to zone him out completely as he’s not pleasant to be around and his room smells of mould, i don’t enter there ever..

beebeel's picture

It's only been a year. Cut your losses and get out! These kids will only get worse because no one is parenting them. Even if your GF started parenting today, it's too late for probably all but the youngest.

Fulldraw76.'s picture

Well as soon as we get on the subject of parenting all of a sudden I'm saying she's a bad parent. And that's just a losing battle right there!

And as far as what he does is little to nothing it is court-ordered visitation the judge has said they have to go a guardian litem has said they have to go every other weekend but does anybody make them do what they're supposed to do hell no because they're going to get upset. At this point they have learned if they throw a big enough fit they get absolutely everything they want and they win every single time

tog redux's picture

Even less the father's fault if he never sees them.

Listen, your girlfriend is making clear what kind of parent she is, and it's not likely to change. If you try to parent them, you will become the big meanie.  Cut your losses and move on. Find a woman with no kids, or one who can parent.

Harry's picture

Nothing is going to change,  If only going to get worst.  Since nothing changing, you have to decide, How you want to live your life ?  Stay, and disengage, or leave.  Or keep your home and just visit 

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Dysfunctional families exist across all classes, and some people just never learn how to effectively parent. Your girlfriend is a terrible awful parent and her ex is an absent parent. Together, they've created this mess. 

You sound stressed, angry, and unhappy - and it will only get worse. If you stay, you will lose all love and respect for your GF as you get ground down and become collateral damage.

This woman and her kids are just really, really screwed up. Do you want that toxic ooze to affect your kids? You're attracted to one facet of this woman's personality, but her horrible parenting is also a part of who she is. Sometimes, love is not enough.

Fulldraw76.'s picture

The gilt from distancing my self is a rough thought.  Her ex and his affair and the split and still in the heat of the divorce is taxing.  I have my own bag of shit to deal with also. The stress and aggravation is just getting to be to much. Here's what gets me and really pushed me over the edge! She's home all day I am a construction supervisor and work my ass off every day! 98% of the time the house is a disaster because the kids refuse to clean up after themselves and she gets overwhelmed with it and takes off most days and goes fishing! And then asks why I don't help clean up anymore!! What I told her was (I'm not your kids fuckin maid) this was months ago and nothing has changed. And now two weeks ago one of them while we was out decided it was a good idea to plug the bathroom sink turn the faucet on and go back into his room which led to most of the hardwood floors being ripped out of the house ceilings ripped out walls tore out insulation tore out did anybody get in trouble oh hell no nobody did it it was a ghost!!!! 

I'll let everyone sit on that for a minute lol

ldvilen's picture

I don't usually like to push anyone one way or the other, but it sounds to me like you are just being used by everyone and espcially your GF.  I think you really do need to move on.  She goes fishing, kids flood the house, and it is all your fault to clean everything up.  And, it even sounds to me like the kids are enjoying getting to you.  Who knows?  Mom may even enjoy it herself?  

In step situations you cannot go at all by what you want to occur or what your SO is telling you.  You have to go by what you see with your own eyes.  Maybe mom and kids are just looking for an easy chump?  I'm not sure how you and your GF rehooked up, but if it was something like she "just happened" to find you on facebook and is newly divorced (or going through a divorce), her main concern may have been just to find a warm male body as quickly as possible vs. to find THE right one. 

shamds's picture

with ss. Hubby gets the harsh truth from me and it aint pretty. I tried to originally let it go but after having kids, nope i felt it even more and this wasn’t a way to live. I called hubby out on his shitty parenting and lack of supporting me when this happens. I am not his kids maid, he does not disrespect me in our home or our kids. He cleans up after himself, he had the nerve to tell his dad “well i didn’t know i had to wash my dirty dishes” his dad told him off well why should anyone clean up for you because you’re lazy... frustrating is an understatement. 

It seems in your situation your gf shuts you down, doesn’t acknowledge the current issues present and they’re all walking over you. Had the house been ruined by her kids, she and her kids must be held accountable, if she tries to guilt you or blame you, she’s not worth it because she doesn’t have an ounce of respect for you and neither do her kids

Ijessie87's picture

Listen, you need to put your foot down on her and her little 'cherubs'. Dont let yourself be manipulated by her either- and she will try her damndest everything from crying, to fighting, sex either by deprivation or inciting it, Even threatening to leave you. This is just how woman work when they are toxic dont pay any of that no kind of mind or phase you. Don't even be angry about it, simply state your terms and inform her of the facts. know for yourself that obviously her way of doing things isnt working for her, its time to try something different. Set your rules and be unwavering. She leaves, so what? You like the kids sure, but they are not yours - and it's better to be single with your hand then in a living hell where someone elses kids dont respect you - plus you gotta pay for it out your money? oh screw that. Your wallet should be completely closed untill you see some changes- and even better when those changes are consistant. 

Fulldraw76.'s picture

Oh I ain't paying for none of that! What she gets a month for child support and spousal support is half of my yearly income. Needless to say I can't afford her lifestyle! Just a simple man that wants a simple life back

Ispofacto's picture

Until you can get out, double bag it man, double bag it.  Or obstain.  This is a sh!tshow.  Run.  Run fast.

Rags's picture

Please explain, to yourself, what makes a person who has raised 4 POS thieving ill behaved crotch trophies so appealing?

I get that she is your Jr High sweet heart but that was 30 years ago.  I would hope that your standards have improved since then.

smh

Take care of  you and leave miss Jr High to her mess of a life.

CLove's picture

If you want to stay with this person (also shaking my head), consider that things, as bad as they are now will only get much much worse.

Live separately, and date. If she gets that much money she can afford her own place.

I am assuming she at least pays you rent and food for bratolas? Something? Well, its not worth your peace of mind, and the rug/floor/home wreckers need to be out of your house.

In my particular area, a resort/travel destination/ag biz, I know a VERY LARGE NUMBER of single women, who have their chit together and are very lovely, of all different ages. Im certain I could set you up with someone really nice. LOL. JK, anyways, run far and fast young man. Best advice ever. And free Biggrin

pwoodlson's picture

Cut your loses and get out.  Those step kids will only get worse as they get older because their parents refuse to parent them and insist on spoiling them instead and never hold them accountable. If you do decide to continue the relationship do not move in with her under any circumstances.