You are here

Getting a sitter for the SKid

iqrt's picture

My SD6 spends 2 weeks with us during the summer and a week with us over winter break. There is usually at least 1 day a week that we need to have a sitter for her while her dad and I are at work.

For the past couple of years, we have sent her over to my friend's house, because she also watches my daughter while I am at work.

Honestly, I am so embarrassed to send her over there. She is mean to the other kids, steals all of their food and toys, calls everybody names, telling the other kids that she'll beat their ass if they try to take her toys away. Jumps around like a hooligan and says she doesn't have to listen to anything anybody tells her to do. She threatens to "cut off [her] lips" if my friend tries to ask her to do anything.

Ugh. She's a difficult kid when she's with us, but she's not this bad. I really don't feel comfortable even asking my friend to watch her anymore because she is just such a nightmare. Do daycare centers do drop ins or anything?

ownedbypedro's picture

I would lay this problem in the lap of the child's father and go off to work. But that's just me.

iqrt's picture

Ordinarily I would, but he works nights and I work days, so I'm home alone with them in the mornings and I can't really leave the kid home alone to go to work..

lucky7's picture

Still up to Dad to figure it out. That being said, does your SO give her any consequences for her behavior?

nemeneme89's picture

it sux what about grandparents are they around maybe they might be able to watch the child or aunts or uncles

Thatonegirl's picture

Depending on where you live, check your community centers. I work at a Jewish Community Center at a daycare and we have a program where parents can drop off a child any day for as many hours that we are available, even just an hour or so in between work schedules. YMCA also has the same program. Look into it. We have programs and activities for children and the teachers in the room lead group activities that teach morals and "mitzvahs" lol. She might behave better if she is distracted and in a neutral setting?