You are here

First reach out.

Tideland1's picture

So first I should start I am not legally a step father, I have however been a part of this family for almost three years now. Living with for two. Mainly this is just a first time I have ever reached out or tried talking to anyone about my family and really do just feel like venting.

First just the family. My girlfriend had 2 boys with her ex-husband. Boy are 11 and 10 now. Mother is in the military and is gone over half of the year and has been at deployable units for the past 7 years or so. In comes Grandma, she was who watched the kids while their mother was deployed or at work for most of those seven years which is wonderful that she had someone to help out.

Second the good. The boys have come a long way in three years I have known them. When I first started dating their mother and met them they did nothing for themselves. Would sit in front of the T.V in the living room and scream upstairs for their mom to get them a glass of water when they were way closer to the kitchen. They would do this with everything and god forbid you tell the youngest one no to something he asked for, it was a tantrum like you just broke his favorite toy, after telling him his dog died, and that santa wasn't real all at once. All that from one little word "no". Turns out over the last five years or so when the Grandma was with them alone she did everything for them and I mean everything. The oldest didn't cry he screamed and I mean screamed at you. I'm 28 at the time having a 9 year old scream at me to shut up because he did something wrong and was in trouble. Believe it or not he was way worse at it with his mom and grandma. I mean this kid would just unleash on them at least three to four times a week about something. At 8 and 9 the boys knew how to put cloths on but only if you picked something out for them to wear, knew what chores were but couldn't figure out which way to point a windex bottle, was scared to do anything on their own and would ask for an adult to do everything for them even pouring milk in their cereal. Most of this has changed, they have chores mind you they are kids and try to get away with a quick half-butt jobs a lot, I can tell them no and it not be a big deal the youngest is still a bit of a dramatic little guy so he has the pouty face perfected but a hell of a lot better than a tantrum, and the oldest does not fly off the handle well not with the adults anyway. The progress they have made in these areas of their lives has been really nice to see and actually makes me feel pretty proud of them. There is more good but I will end here for now.

The Bad. The grandma has never and will never see those kids as her grandkids. In her mind they are hers and she knows what is best for them. I tried be understanding to this for a long time, understanding that she did take care of them for a long time. I guess I was hoping she would let up. It has been three years of her just randomly showing up at the house, at boys tae kwon do, at boys cub scouts. Wouldn't call would just show up. Hell she will not do a change of address so that her mail goes to her house, just so she has a reason to come over. She will argue with my girlfriend right in front of the boys about how she disagreed with their mom and would allow them to do exactly what my girl asked her not to. She has to know everything about the boys life and schedule which also means mine sadly because if I have work or something to do then she has to come be with the boys until I get home while my girl is deployed. It is tiring though because she finds reasons to just show up and quiz me constantly about what the boys are doing, are they going to this or that, how are they doing in school, did I know about this appointment or this thing, she will call just to "make sure I took the trash to the curb" which is ridiculous on it's own but the real reason for this is the seven other questions she has about the boys. My girlfriend has spoken with her and she just lies through her teeth or says she understands just to stop the conversation. I have caught her in a lie and she turned it on the kids saying they were the ones lying. That has happened a couple of times. Sadly that is a behavior that has rubbed off on the youngest one. That kid can not admit when he has made a mistake, will not admit that he messed up. Getting him to apologize is a twenty minute session of him trying to talk himself out of being in trouble in which he constantly contradicts himself because he is trying so hard not to say he was wrong and that he made a mistake. It's always his brothers fault, or he didn't understand the hard task I ask him to do (like don't get up from the table while eating), or I never told him a hundred times not to do it, I really think he tries to lie to himself. The youngest can not sit still or quiet. One of my consequences for him once because he couldn't sit still because he wanted to be in everyones face because he went 10 minutes without attention was me giving him what he wanted all the attention in the world. I picked him up and carried him around the house. Two minutes of not being able to move and this kid is screaming that I am hurting him and that he can't breath and that he's dizzy. I was carrying him like a baby so none of this was true but the tears and fear were real to him. Literally not moving for two minutes sent this kid into a panic. I can't play board games, watch movies, do anything that requires sitting still or sitting quiet with them. The oldest isn't so bad with the moving but can be just as bad with the talking but only at times he should be quiet or when I'm busy such as movies, when i am cooking, when I am on the phone, in the bathroom, etc. There's more bad but I will end here for now.

All in all I'm just reading out to mainly just vent a bit out here and there I find myself losing my temper more and more lately with them and really just getting annoyed at the thought of the grandma. My relationship with my girlfriend has been a little rocky recently and we are trying to work through it so I'm sure that has something to do with the feeling so on edge with this whole family but a lot of these problems and ones I have not mentioned yet are still problems in themselves.

Acratopotes's picture

oh dear -

you are not married to this woman right, she's in the army... now.... if she's not at home, the brats will not be at home, you are not the baby sitter, they can be with their father or their GRan, you do not care as long as they are not with you. Nothing wrong in taking them to a game for a day or a park or what ever, but you drop them off at Gran's again.

Then when GF and her mum gets into a fight about the boys, slowly back out of the area, and go and do something you would like to do. Now even if you get married to GF, if she's not there her children is not there...

This is the only way you wil make it, you are not their parent, they will never listen to you, Gran is meddling like crazy and GF is not really doing anything about it, cause she can't... due to her career, all understandable...but it still does not mean that you are the babby sitter, doormat , maid or what ever.

You love this girl, you do not need to love her family, you can tolerate but no rule says you have to love her, if you marry her, you marry her, not her brats and sure as hell not her Mum... if the boys are with you and Mum starts with her shit, smile and say - boys go and pack Gran is taking you.... or you simply tell her, Bitch I'm an adult and this is my house stay out of it... you do what ever you want in your house, but you have no say in what's happening in my house..

SMforever's picture

You must reallly love your GF to choose to live in such a loony bin. Perhaps by now you can no longer recognise what a normal family life can be like. I feel sad to see a relatively young man missing the chance to have his own family just so he can babysit these crazies, put up with narcissist controlling MIL, just so he can sit alone for months waiting for GF to return. Ugh. If you were my son, I'd have some pretty direct advice for you.

strugglingSM's picture

I relate to so much in what you are saying.

My SSs are 11 year old twins. They do nothing for themselves. At least until last year, their mother used to bathe them. They were never responsible for remembering their things, even things that were important to them. I had to carefully note everything they brought with them, so I could pack it up at the end of the weekend and send it home. Even when I packed it myself and placed it in the car, sometimes DH would still get angry texts from BM about how we forgot to send something home and we had ruined the child's life (only to later get a text saying "nevermind, we found it."). The kids were plenty old enough to keep track of the few things they brought and also bring them home with them. When they are with us, I feel like the innkeeper. I'm expected to prepare food, clean it up, collect their dirty clothes and wash them, etc. I told them that I had three expectations when they were with us: 1) they put their dirty clothes in the laundry room (about 5 steps from each of their bedrooms); 2) they put their dirty dishes in the sink; 3) they put their trash in the trash can. None of that happens. When I say something to DH, he'll just go and pick up after them.

My MIL was also used to taking over on DH's weekends with his kids. Before I met him, he stayed with his mother on weekends with his kids, because he didn't have enough money after the divorce and with paying CS to get a place big enough for all of them. MIL took on the mom role while they were there and DH was happy to let her. Consequently, she continues to tell me and DH what we should be doing when the boys are with us. She definitely takes on more of a parenting role than a grandparenting role. DH's approach to managing it is to try to cut her out once we moved to our own home. That of course, created its own drama, leaving MIL to reach out to BM as her primary way to interact with the children.

If you're not married, yet, you may want to think twice about this relationship, especially since your GF is gone so much for work. I love my husband and don't regret marrying him, but there are some days when I really wish I wasn't a SM and many days when I regret taking on two SSs who are needy, demanding, and entitled. It's not necessarily their fault that they are that way, but it's also not my job to accommodate them.

still learning's picture

"My SSs are 11 year old twins."

Oh dear God! How are you at all sane?!