You are here

First post, and so much to say before I start screaming nonstop!

Oasis18's picture

First of all, let me say how grateful I am to have found this site! I have a couple of close friends I talk about about my situation, but I don't think they fully understand, if only because they don't have step kids of their own.

I guess I'll start at the beginning...

My husband and I have been married for 5 years, and a couple for 11 years. We met a year after his divorce was completely finalized. I have no children of my own; he has a now 24-year-old daughter. When we first started dating, of course he told me all about her, and it was obvious what an involved and devoted father he was. In fact, despite the divorce, he would visit with her up to 4 days a week, including at least 1 or 2 weekend days (no divorce is 100% amicable, but his was about as much as one could be, so the frequent visits were okay with the ex). While I knew all about his daughter, she knew nothing about me. In fact, he waited until we were dating a full 8 months to introduce us. I had dated a divorced man with a 16-year-old son previously, and there had been no issues, so I went into meeting my guy's daughter with a positive and hopeful outlook. This was dashed pretty quickly during our first meeting, when she refused to acknowledge me in any way, and then stormed out of the room (both of which he said nothing to her about, then, or later). I didn't see her again until several months later, when he brought me to a family get-together that she was also attending. To make a long story short, she made a giant scene, and became hysterical, all because I was there. She did this 3 other times, including once in a crowded train station, at the conclusion of which, she ran off, leaving him to chase after her. Again, he said nothing to her during, or after these outbursts, not even privately, and I was of course, left to feel that they were my fault. To be honest, I was also kind of angry with him, because I felt he was condoning this kind of behavior by not calling her out on it. By the time the final public incident happened, she was already 14, and in my opinion, way too old to be acting in such a way.

To make a long story short, his daughter and I didn't see each other for 3 years after that. My guy claimed that he spoke with a "counselor" who told him that the best solution was to keep us separated (like fighting animals, I wondered?). I've spoken to therapists in the past, and never once have I heard them offer such a solution, but didn't feel I was in much of a position to argue this. In any case, we started to slowly be introduced to each other again, and all of a sudden, I got word from my guy that she wanted me to attend her high school graduation. I was surprised, happy, but also, a little bothered. No one had ever apologized for the nonsense that had gone on, the three of us had no conversations of any kind, but now, suddenly, everything was okay?! I didn't get it, but in the name of making peace, I went, and was happy to do so.

Since then, at least outwardly, things have been better, but the truth is that I still have hard feelings. She even told me she loved me for the first time 3 years ago. I feel like that should have made me happy, but to be honest, I felt next to nothing. I have an emotional block when it comes to her that I can't undo. I also don't think I like her as a person. She has some decent qualities, as most people do, but she's also incredibly selfish, self-centered, frivolous to the point that talking to her for extended periods gives me a migraine, and very immature for her age. Also, thanks to her parents, she accepts no responsibilty for anything, and barely knows how to take care of herself, because they were way too easy on her growing up (she never had to do any chores, was given pretty much anything she wanted, and was given way more control over certain situations than a young teenager should have been allowed to have been given, which has also made her very manipulative). Spending time with her is draining, because I feel like I always have to put on an act, in order to avoid allowing my true feelings to show. My husband suspects how I feel about her. While he doesn't say it, I can tell, and I know it hurts him. At the same time, he has always expected me to just love her automatically, and I think that's unrealistic.

And it gets even more complicated....

I don't think that all of her behavior and ways are entirely her fault. I believe she's on the autism spectrum, specifically with Asperger's Syndrome. She exhibits every single one of the signs of it, and looking  back, she always has. Why her parents never acknowledged it, or sought treatment for her, I don't know, especially since when I finally got up the nerve to tell my husband about these concerns and showed him the list of symptoms, he also agreed that she had all of them. This complicates things for me emotionally, because I feel like I'm a bad person for disliking her if the way she is isn't entirely her fault.

Without getting into all the details, there's also a chance she may have to come and live with us in the future. Me, my adult stepdaughter, and my husband, all living together in the one bedroom co-op we just purchased (she'd have to live in my living room). This is a prospect I am not looking forward to, especially when this 24 year old has to be asked 18 times to do something as simple as putting a dirty dish in the sink.

My feelings in general regarding this situation, and my feelings about my stepdaughter, are so twisted and upsetting. Still, it feels good to be able to vent without judgment, so if you've read this far, thanks.

how2step's picture

It sounds to me like there is something seriously wrong here. There is either something wrong with his daughter or him or both. 

bananaseedo's picture

Ok, please explain the having to live with you? What about her mom or other family member? Nobody should take in another person (especially an ADULT child) with a 1-bedroom place.  You can kiss your marriage goodbye if you do this.

She's not unusual -she's like tons of the nasty sd's we all have dealt with here.  Your DH sounds like a typicaly disney/guilty dad also.  Stand firm on the no living with you.

Lastly-do NOT feel guilt for the feelings you have....validate them.  Get the book Stepmonster when you can-lifechanger and will help w/the misplaced guilt you feel.

momjeans's picture

Also, thanks to her parents, she accepts no responsibilty for anything, and barely knows how to take care of herself, because they were way too easy on her growing up (she never had to do any chores, was given pretty much anything she wanted, and was given way more control over certain situations than a young teenager should have been allowed to have been given, which has also made her very manipulative).

You spell it out yourself. This young woman has been her parent’s, or more so her dad’s, pride and joy from the moment she entered this world. It’s beyond obvious that there has been a lot of infantalizing and doting and spoiling of her. 

Yes, where is her mother? Perhaps I missed it, but what’s the current relationship status between bio mom and stepdaughter? 

And like someone else pointed out, there are adult stepkids that are by all outward appearances healthy, functioning adults in society (hold down jobs, live on their own...) that are STILL adamant about remaining numero uno in their parent’s eyes. I sense that’s a lot of what’s going on here and your spouse willingly allows it to continue. He gets something from it. Some sort of emotional validation or something. 

It must be rough to commit 11 years of your life to someone who cannot cut the proverbial umbilical cord. 

Oasis18's picture

Sorry, I probably should have explained, but I typed my OP fairly quickly, and didn't realize how relevant that info might be.

Her mom and her mom's husband moved across country last September. My stepdaughter didn't want to go with them, for a whole host of reasons, the main one being that she doesn't get along with the mother's new husband. He drinks a lot, has a shitty attitude, and does seem to bring out the worst in her mother as well. Needless to say, relationship between bio-mom and daughter has been strained, although the distance between them has helped it improve somewhat.

As an alternative to moving with her mother, she wound up moving in with her at that time, recently widowed grandfather (her mother's father). He had a two bedroom, and was happy to have her there. Everything was going well-he put her on the apartment's lease and everything-but he suddenly passed away a couple of weeks ago.

Even though my stepdaughter is on the lease, she can't really afford the apartment on her own. The building is willing to work with her in order to try and get her into a smaller, more affordable unit either within the building she's already in, or within one of their "sister" buildings, but if there's nothing available, or she still can't afford it (or can't find a roommate), she'll have to find someplace else to live.

I honestly don't know if she has any friends she could move in with. My husband's parents are very elderly, and while they have room in their home, moving in there would also be something of a last resort. No other relatives really have space in their homes either. I've already told my husband that if it comes to it, she may have to go back to living with her mother, whether she likes it or not...at least her and her husband have a 2 bedroom house! She's been out of college for 2 years, and isn't working the kind of job that it would be difficult to give up if she had to.

According to my husband, she also doesn't like the idea of having to move in with us, so I'm hoping that will work in our favor, for the sake of my marriage.

tog redux's picture

Don't "hope" - let him know that you will not be OK with her moving in, especially into a one-bedroom apartment. It's insane and not remotely reasonable for him to ask that. 

A lot of people don't like their stepkids. Hell, some people don't like their own kids! It's fine to feel that way - just stand up for yourself in terms of the boundaries you need. He had no trouble keeping her from you for 3 years, to "protect" her, I assume - so you should have NO trouble protecting yourself.

There is no reason why she needs to live with you.  She can find roommates, get a better job, live in a cheaper area, whatever. 

Winterglow's picture

Put a positive spin on her moving in with her grandparents - she could help them out, run errands, do any of the housework they find difficult. Work on ohw much of a boon it would be for them to have her! SELL the idea to your dh!

As for moving in with you - you don't have the room. End of story. Sleeping on a couch for a weekend is one thing, doing it for months on end is another. Besides that, two women in one home does not ork well. I love my mother, truly I do, but when she comes to stay, 2 weeks is the limit to our cordiality ... and I have a big house, so we're not sitting on top of each other all the time (or we'd be ripping shreds off each other much sooner than that). How long do you think you could stand feeling as if you are no longer in your own home? JUST SAY NO.

hereiam's picture

Yeah, sorry, but after all of that, she would not be moving in with me, especially into my 1 bedroom condo. Plus, two adult women (who don't really like each other) just don't live well together. She needs to figure something else out.

TM18's picture

My SD is almost 17 and although I’ve been in her life for 15 years, she has recently decided I’ve ruined her life. Long story short, she made a poor decision, didn’t like the consequences and needed to create a bigger drama to take the heat off herself. DH doesn’t want to upset her so won’t stick up for me. He’s just said it will blow over, in the meantime I was stressing over it all. Angry at him for not doing anything, angry at SD for not taking responsibility for her actions, and unfortunately angry at my younger 3 kids for no reason at all. BM is sitting back loving it all and has been feeding SD false information to make it all worse. 

I’ve done a lot of reading on being a step parent, teenage girls, being a child of divorce, and I’ve come to the conclusion it’s nothing to do with me, I’m letting it go and pretending for now SD and BM don’t exist. SD is just immature and selfish due to her frontal cortex not being developed yet (not fully developed till late 20’s). I won’t let them cause havoc in my family anymore. She hasn’t been to our house in a few months now, but as far as I’m concerned she won’t be until I get an apology. 

if your SD does move in with you. Make sure you set boundaries.

Harry's picture

SD been disrespectful to you all these years.  Can not get along with BM  new DH,  What do you think, living with her going to be liked.  If she really has autism.  She will be home 24/7 makinf life hell for you,  This is a hill to died on.  If she moves in your marriage is over anyway. Give it the good fight.  Her or you

onthejourney's picture

My H did not introduce me to his children for a long while and kept me at a distance.  Now I have a totally different view of it.  At first I thought he did not want to cause turmoil in their lives.  Now, after 11 years looking back, he probably did not want me to run in the other direction because his daughter has been nothing but trouble since his divorce.  I can hear my mother's voice saying, "When people hide stuff, it is for a reason."  

Ispofacto's picture

This overgrown toddler doesn't sound aspie to me, she sounds spoiled.  She never had to learn how to accept No for an answer to anything.  She lacks resiliency as a result of being coddled.  She could possibly still learn how to be an adult, if DH stops enabling her.  He's crippling her.  She's inflexible, manipulative, controlling.  The very definition of personality disordered.

She's old enough to learn how to support herself.

Siemprematahari's picture

Oasis, if SD has autism/aspergers I'm amazed that her teachers and other faculty in her schools would not have picked up on this, so that has me a bit disturbed. Aside from that if she doesn't have that diagnosis you see the disservice her parents have caused this 24 year old woman? She's not able to be independent and live on her own because she's been spoiled, cottled, and enabled ALL her life. This is her parents doing!  Since this is the case why should you suffer the fallout of her not being parented well?

This would be a hill to die on for me as well. You both don't have a decent relationship to begin with and since she's basically homeless NOW living with you & H is an option? H@ll No! You live in a 1 bedroom condo and she has the option to go back to BM and make it work. Do you even know the real reason why the step father doesn't care for her? Or are you just going based on what she tells you & H?