You are here

Fighting over parenting disagreements

georgina29's picture

Is it normal that we fight over parenting disagreements or opinions everytime something comes up with the skids? My SO turns on me for not agreeing with everything he says and does parenting wise and because I do not always take skids' sides when they are having issues with other kids from school and can see things from another view. I feel it is unfair and naive just to believe everything skid says and only see skids side of the story when they have conflict with other kids from school. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

SteppedOut's picture

It shouldn't be normal.... but it seems to be! 

With my formerSO, initially when we discussed our ideas on parenting (well before I moved in with him) we agreed 100% on seemingly everything. 

After I moved in with him and his son, it was 100% obvious that we agreed on absolutely NOTHING when it came to parenting. I guess he thought I wouldnt notice his kid was completely feral? There were a TON of excuses made for differences and when that failed to "put me in place" the gaslighting started. 

Did you discuss parenting and rules and now things are different? 

tog redux's picture

Well, it seems there are a lot of those kinds of parents on this board.

My DH was the first to put blame on his son, so not all parents are that way. But why not just stay out of it? In the end, he's the parent and can deal with it as he pleases.  You can give your opinion once, and then let it go.

Rags's picture

When we were kids and these situations came up mom and dad would first ask what we did to cause the problem.   They then would advise us on how to deal with it.  They did not fight our battles for us. They expected us to step up and solve our own problems.

My thougts... your DH has issues and needs to grow up and gain clarity on his kids.