You are here

The Fifth Disease/So Frustrated

Pantera's picture

I am a full time stepmom. My ss9 has the fifth disease (the virus with the rash, ect., sounds alot worse than what it is, lol). Last week he looked like he got smacked in the cheeks and his face was blotchy, so I asked him about it and it just popped up (a few days later it went to his arms and torso like its supposed to). He had no symptoms, just a runny nose. Ok cool, its been going around his daycare, so I knew to call his best friend's Mom because his best friend had it a month ago. Her doctor told her that the virus has already run its course because the rash is the last part of the virus and to give him tylenol if he was in pain or had any flu symptoms or give him benedryl to prevent itching. No symptoms, so I just gave him the benedryl. Saturday, ss's Mom was coming to pick him up so before she did, I told her about what was going on and told her everything and that he's fine and just to give him the benedryl (I even gave her the bottle of benedryl so she didn't have to go buy any) (her response- "is it contagious, are you sure he should come over?", lol, how caring). When she came to pick him she told him to go back in and get me, she wanted to ask me something. In front of ss9, she asks me when she should give him the next dose and how much, so I told her in about 4 hours 2tsp, ect. She said ok and all was well. When we get him back (2 days later), his rash is way worse and ss9 goes on to tell us that his Mom said he didn't need to take any medicine (benedryl was used to prevent itching, the rash got worse because he itched it, it doesn't spread on contact). He then went on to say that his mom's sister told her to give him the meds because I told her to and she still wouldn't. My DH talked to his son about this and told him that his Mom should have listened to me and his rash would be fine, but I feel like DH should be handing it to BM!!! She called yesterday and DH didn't say anything to her. I think she just wanted to undermine me. Why wouldn't she give her child medicine? There is no other reason. Why would she make it a point to ask me how much to give him and when in front of him, she could have just read the bottle!!! It's bullshit. I am so annoyed. But since I've disengaged, Ill leave this up to them too. Next time something is not deathly wrong with ss9, they can figure it out. No wonder the child doesn't listen to me or respect me!!!