You are here

Feeling irrational!!

MrsDaisaku's picture

It gets to a point a few months down the line when you have put so much of yourself into the step parenting game that you almost irrationally 'expect' to get something out of it. I'm at that stage, where yet again DH and I have agreed to swap weekends with Bio Mum so that SD4 can go to a party. But as a consequence i'm missing out on a night out with my DH and a friend that is flying over on what would usually be our free weekend. I feel jealous, annoyed and frankly put out and yet i know that it's all so this little girl can get to go to her party.

I hate myself for feeling like this... but sometimes emotions win over the head!!!

Sorry if this offends anyone... its just emotions and not actions.

ThatGirl's picture

How about instead of swapping weekends, let BM double up and take two in a row, then next time you take two in a row to get back on track with the regular schedule?

We have 50/50, one week on, one off, switching on Monday night. If BM wants them for something special, she has to keep them until the next scheduled Monday switch off. That way it doesn't mess up any plans we had made in advance.

secondplace's picture

No offense taken here!

Did you actually agree to this, or did DH agree on your behalf?

I don't think it's fair that you have to miss out on your evening out.

Is there a Grandma around that could babysit for you?

MrsDaisaku's picture

I kinda agreed, but he didnt know which weekend. He only told me the other day that it was this coming weekend. Yet another reason i am annoyed as we havent been out like this together at a weekend in a year and a half.... So both our faults!

No Grandparents around either, mother in law lives in a different country, father in law lives about 6 hours away. This is why the free weekends mean so much to me. Plus waking to three kids under 6 with a hangover is not fun and not fair on the kids. lol!

MrsDaisaku's picture

Hahaha no way the BM would take them two weekends in a row.... our lives would be made a living nightmare. And DH will be staying in with the kids, i'm not going to miss out for anything, not when my friend has flown in for the weekend. Just sucks that I cant enjoy it with him... But thats life i guess!

Orange County Ca's picture

Well learn the lessons and get on with life.

Personally I found it necessary to inform my ex that there would be NO switching. Period.

The problem here is your husband and I hope you've made it clear that he is to run these decisions by you in the future. I'm glad you're leaving him behind as a lesson - however knowing some of my wifes friends I might consider being left behind a blessing.