You are here

Father's Day Question -

JanRebecca's picture

On Father's Day - do you think the kids should call their father or should Dad be calling the kids?? 

In our house we always 'did stuff' for Dad - I still call my Dad on Fathers day - I dont' expect him to call me - I call him because the day is about him. I have my son do things for my DH on Father's Day etc. 

DH's ex wife got upset last year because my hubby was working and didn't call SS on Father's day - DH told her that SS should have called him if he wanted to talk to him. So do your hubbys call their kids on Father's day or do the kids call him?  BM didn't have him send a card or anything. 

ProbablyAlreadyInsane's picture

Our current CO, which isn't even followed, gives DH the skids EVERY father's day, but even if it didn't, I think that the kid should be reaching out to the dad. It's a day abou tthe father and making the day special for HIM. So I think that since it's a day about celebrating fathers, the kids should be the ones putting forth effort for dad.

ndc's picture

The kids should be calling their dad on Father's Day and their mom on Mother's Day, and if they're with the other parent on that day, that parent should be facilitating the call if the kids are young.  I understand that some divorced parents are high conflict and that's not going to happen, but that's the ideal, IMO.  I'm not sure why anyone would think that it's a father's obligation to reach out to his kids on Father's Day - that makes no sense to me.  SO's ex had the kids call him last Father's Day.  This week when we have SO's kids I'll be helping them make Mother's Day gifts for their mom, not because I particularly like her but because it makes the kids happy to make their mom a gift, and she deserves one because she's a good mother.  Likewise, SO's ex will make sure that he is recognized on Father's Day.

hereiam's picture

The kid should call the parent on Father's Day or Mother's Day, that's who those days are about. Duh, BM.

momjeans's picture

I feel kids should reach out and make contact with their parent, especially so if they’re already on good terms.

The father contact the child(ren)? Yeah, no. 

Since it’s always on a Sunday, the one day a week I’m almost positive DH has, or attempts to have, an actual real phone conversation with skid - I’m sure he’ll be talking to her. 

Side note: BM was that jerkface that went out of her way to not allow DH to have skid on Father’s Day weekend for a few years, post him filing for divorce. It was brutally painful to watch, but not surprising behavior from BM at all. 

Rags's picture

It is not called Kid's day.  It is Father's day. They call him.

BM is an idiot. Good for DH for baring her ass.