You are here

Father's Day, Gatherings and Covid

Sandybeaches's picture

With Father's Day coming on Sunday what is everyone's thoughts on gatherings with the SK's and Covid. 

In most states things are Opening back up but I still work from home, don't go out and don't have anyone at my house. 

I think if DH wants to hang with the SK's then he should go somewhere else.  They are adults not little kids that come for visitation .  A drop by with a card maybe but, a party dinner celebration I am not up for.  Not to mention they would not come alone they would bring boyfriends and girlfriends and not wear masks.  Who knows if they are following social distancing guidelines.  I feel this is not fair to me at all.  Not saying DH can't see them or even have them drop for an hour but I am not having a gathering.  

On Mother's Day I did not have anyone over at all.  I realize that was a month ago when things were still all closed but I am mentioning it to say there is no standard.  It has nothing to do with who they are I don't want anyone in my house right now.  

DH agrees and honestly they ignore us 99% of the time.  Just curious if others are having gatherings..  

JRI's picture

I expect the kids who are in town to each come by at some point, drop off something, stay half an hour and go.  They typically don't bring spouses or friends.  The ones out of town usually send a gift and call.  Some of the grandkids may call, too.  That's how we do Mother's Day & Father's Day and it works well for us.  I'm a terrible hostess and hate big gatherings, I'm more a one-on-one person so i would never dream of having a dinner.  The kids all seem to prefer this, too.

Crspyew's picture

DH is high risk, his kids have not followed any of the guide lines so we won't risk having them in our home.  I was very surprised when DH told his youngest son unprompted that he absolutely could not visit, it just wasn't safe.  I am going to help him set up a zoom visit.  even if the skids lived closer I would not want DH to hang out with them, still just too risky.

We will probably stop by to see my son, but that means sitting outside several feet apart and Having a beer or glass of wine.

tog redux's picture

My father died 3 years ago, and SS will most likely not even text DH on Father's day. BUT, if my father was alive, we would likely get together.

My area is doing 5000 tests a day and 1% are positive - I'm okay with gathering with people I know, given that low of a risk. Some areas are higher and going up, so more caution might be warranted.

Doing it outside reduces the risk. But DH should not plan something in your home if you aren't comfortable.

Swim_Mom's picture

DH has to go back in the office and my kids are going out with friends on limited basis, so even though I can continue to work from home another couple of months, I'm starting to feel this is a losing battle. I would consider a backyard gathering where it's easy to stay apart, weather dependent of course. I would NOT allow a bunch of people in my house, no way. 

futurestepmomnowstepgf's picture

for the whole summer and are actually driving to a drive through Safari Park and going to visit another state park a few hours away we have been wanting to go for months, but they have been closed or the restrooms have been closed etc. so we haven't wanted to take a drive like that especially with a young child without guranteed bathrooms. 

So it is a thing for everyone to enjoy while getting out, but you drive through the park in your car!

beebeel's picture

I've invited the adult sks over for a backyard grill-out. They normally eat and run so I think our exposure would be minimal.

Sandybeaches's picture

My SK's wouldn't do  They were out when they were not supposed to and so they did not practice safe guidelines.  Not to mention they only come around us twice a year so they are not close knit or part of our "bubble"

I can see this working if you were talking about close relatives but not in our situation but it might work for some and is a great Article.  It is still too soon.  We are in a phased reopening an most things aren't open and some things are just starting.  We don't have people over at our house ever anyway.  Just holidays, maybe by Christmas things will be different.  

justmakingthebest's picture

We are having my family over. There will be 12 people in all. I am not stressing about it.