You are here

Exes Who Won’t Let Go After Divorce

101Stepmom101's picture

I thought I would share this with you all. This is what I am and may others are dealing with.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tiffany-beverlin/exes-who-wont-let-go-afte...

Exes Who Won’t Let Go After Divorce
By Tiffany Beverlin

Much like any relationship you enter into what you put up with you, will get stuck with, life after divorce with your newly ex spouse, will be no different. I am often told stories and scenarios of ex spouses who just won’t fully let go, or who just do not understand or want to understand that their ex is after divorce, no longer a part of their life. To me this all falls under the umbrella of control. How many of us after a divorce still try to hinder, effect, hurt or control an ex? I will estimate quite a high percentage, especially if as the other ex spouse you do not set very strict guide lines for your controlling ex, in what is acceptable or tolerable, in your newly found single life. The following are list of commonly found issues and how to disengage and fully let your ex go once and for all.

1. No personal property boundaries, very often after a divorce one or the other spouse will remain in what was the marital property, set very strict guide lines for your ex spouse, they are not to enter your home, have a key or make you feel in anyway that they will just show up there unannounced. The MSA (marriage settlement agreement) will very clearly give the property to one or the other of you, and the moment this is signed the spouse has no rights to show up, attempt to enter, or act in anyway shape or form that they own or have rights to said property. If you can not feel comfortable with your Ex not to do this, move home, change the locks, or very worse case if they continue to do this unlawfully, get a trespassing order. It is not OK to feel that you have no personal private space, to go to, or feel safe that your Ex won’t show up at anytime. Your Ex may have also left belongings in your home, rest assure that they are on some level doing this as a way to not fully let go, of their life with you. More than likely your MSA will include a clause stating every item in said marital home belongs to the person living in it, (they may vary so double check). In this instant, be polite, give them an exact date that items must be removed by and if this date comes and goes, feel free to box up said items and either deliver them to the Ex spouse, or Good Will will be happy to collect them also, there is no reason except for control that your home after divorce, is filled with items owed by your Ex.

2. Exes who try to sabotage and make it hard for the other to date or enter into a new relationship, are also trying to wield control over their Ex by behaving like this. This may manifest its self when they sense you have plans, dates or a new love interest, they may not pick up children or not drop them off in a timely manner, they may also, try to orchestrate ways to make you feel guilty for moving on, accuse you of caring more about dating than your children. They may try and micro manage your free time from afar by giving you instructions, chores to do for your children, that they know will interfere with your free time and social life. In this case, a very precise conversation where you spell out to the Ex, that you are following the terms, visitation set out by the MSA and that your free time without your children is yours, and yours alone, may help. In extreme cases this won’t and at that point all you can do is very clearly stick to the MSA, disengage from all other rhetoric your Ex may direct at you, and live your life the way you see fit. To engage, back down or compromise, only gives your Ex the message that you will still be controlled by them, after your divorce and this will be an on going nightmare for you to deal with. So be firm, be fair, and remind your self that even if connected still by children, your Ex is no longer a part of your life, you no longer have to listen to them, cater to them, indulge or engage in arguments or discussions with them. Controlling spouses will turn into controlling ex-spouses, so stay strong and do not buy into their manipulation anymore, this is no doubt a factor in why you divorced them in the first place.

3. Exes who overly communicate, especially if they know you are with a new partner. Ever had this happen? Your child accidentally has mentioned to your Ex that you are headed to a date or weekend with your new partner, then for the entire evening or weekend your phone is bombarded with texts from your Ex spouse, either trying to push your buttons, or engage you in some kind of drama that is sure to strain your relationship with your new person? Well this situation is common, jealousy and the bizarre and bad perception, that an Ex has a right to do this to you is wrong. When you exit a marriage, you give up all rights to control, harass, have a say in anything to do with your Ex or anyone the person goes on to be with. Your Ex is no longer your spouse, they are no longer your lover, or in many ways no longer your friend, Unless you are lucky enough to have a civil and adult friendship after your divorce, where both your new loves and partners are fully respected. In my experience though this is few and far between. What I feel is really important to remember is that you may not be the first person to move forward after your divorce, but that doesn’t give you the right to try and hold on or set rules for your Ex in their single new life. This on going strategy - to allow your ex to harass you by text or calls on your free time, will only lessen the chances of your new relationships succeeding, no one really wants to date any one, who is still embroiled in some kind of dysfunctional secondary relationship dynamic with their Exes.

4. Using your children to guilt an Ex spouse into not letting go. If you are an Ex spouse who believes just because you have a child with someone you still on some level own your Ex for life, think again. You will always have that child or children together but the reality is your Ex spouse will go on to fall in love, date, marry or even have more children with someone else. You may have created a child together, and you should find a way to pleasantly co-parent, but besides that, you have no say or control over each other. Peoples ability to use children as some kind of leverage to control their ex spouse is well documented, as a source of contention after divorce. You really as the person who is trying to be controlled by your Ex in this manner, need to find a way to totally disengage from this, ignore texts, don’t answer calls, answer in very short precise ways, do not take the bait and be dragged into the Exes web of arguing, controlling or giving them the satisfaction of a reaction. This is exactly what the controlling Ex is looking for, the proof that they still can get to you, still manipulate you and still get their way. DO NOT allow this. Nothing, diffuses the situation better and gets you to a happier place quicker, than disengaging, separating yourself from the toxic Ex, and letting everything roll off your back. Not easy I know but like all bullies and control freaks, these people will eventually quit when they realize once and for all, you are not reacting or engaging in their drama. There is a reason that child custody and concerns are a large part of the MSA this is to lessen the children being used as a pawn, as a weapon or as a way to inflict pain on the other spouse. A good rule of thumb is to use this phrase in communications. “Please refer to the MSA”. There is no arguing it, it is set out in a court of law, in black and white and you both signed it, so don’t allow your Ex to think they are above the law, or above the MSA.

5. A spouse who tries to control who you can date after a divorce, this is is baffling, but I have heard it many times from divorcees I speak to. An Ex who will verbalize things like “I want you to date but why are you dating her/him?, I don’t like your girlfriend/boyfriend, I don’t want MY kids around your new girlfriend/boyfriend, anyone else is fine just not them”. This is clearly a crazy form of control, unless the new partner is a criminal, or someone who may legitimately be a danger to your child, you have no right to say, comment or control who your Ex spouse dates. You are not their parent, not their partner, and most certainly not their spouse, you even have paperwork to prove it, called a divorce. Generally an ex spouse may incorrectly feel that they are allowed to be jealous, allowed to feel insecure, that you moved on or upgraded from them, but this is also 100% the Exes own issues and attempts to not fully let go, and control your situation. You may be tempted to engage or argue or defend your new partner to your Ex. In doing this though you are saying to your Ex that you are listening to their opinion in some form, and allowing them to have some control over who you date. They do not. You are a single adult the ONLY person who has a say in who you date, love or go on to marry is you. In my opinion even if your ex attempts to question you about your new love interest in a polite or kind way, you are under no obligation to answer to them at all.

As a generally rule when giving a Ex spouse who refuses to to let go, an inch they will always try to take a mile. This is why setting ground rules, and being firm, but fair from the start of a divorce, is always the better way to go. Follow the MSA, give your Ex no reason to drag you in to drama, at the first sign of communication that smells like control or manipulation- disengage. Remind yourself that divorce is a severing of interpersonal relationships between two people. Remind yourself that like all other aspects of divorce, time is much better spent focusing all your energies on the present, and future and ceasing to spend them on anyone or anything from the past. Your children are your children, and their love for you will not alter based on you spending time, focusing on your new life, new relationships or new goals. Happy parents make for happy children. It is also a good time to remind our self that we can not control other peoples behaviors, we only have the power to control our own reaction to them. When you do ignore and disengage, the other person will always eventually stop, as they are getting no reaction, and most likely will transfer that controlling streak to their next relationship, rendering us once and for all free! So anything you can do to get that that place quicker do it. Good luck and if you find your self as the person who maybe is having trouble letting go, the same advice applies, spend your time, energy and focus on building your own life to be as happy as you can make it, trying to inflict pain and control on an Ex will not get you to a happier place or future ever.

Kes's picture

Definitely the first 3 I recall being used. In our first year of being together, NPD BM asked my DH to go on holiday with her and the SDs! I said to him - if you are even considering it, we have a problem.
One time she was standing on our doorstep, yelling at him, and then reached in past him and snatched a painting off the wall and took it home with her!
She also used to overly communicate - about things which did not need speaking about. After a bit, he eventually cottoned on that voicemail was his friend. In any case, her idea of communicating most of the time was yelling at him - and it took me "giving him permission" to put the phone down on her, whenever she raised her voice - but eventually he got good at this lol Wink

Rags's picture

Some Xs are so vermin like they think that since they were once in a relationship with you that you are still their territory to control. Kind of like a Muskrat rubbing it's butt on a tree and that tree is now in that Muskrat's territory.

My XW had a bit of this in her during our divorce. Her thing was wanting to remain lovers during and after our divorce. I refused. We barely had any sex while married and having been married to her crazy adulterous cavern crotched skank whore ass why would I want to date her?

Though not a planned thing I took a stand much like this article. The afternoon of the day she moved out of our house I had the locks rekeyed and that evening I had a date.

The Next AM she came by to get something (without prior arrangement) and her key no longer worked so she started ringing the bell and banging on the door. I answered the front door butt neked except for a towel with a hot blue eyed otherwise neked blonde wrapped in a very wrinkled bedsheet standing behind me at the door. XW went bat-shit crazy right then and there trying to shove her way into MY house, etc, etc, etc....

Even after setting that example firmly in her crazy brain she attempted to treat me as her property and decided that though she had been an adulterous whore for our entire marriage that wee would be BFFs. :?

This went on for about 3 years until it stopped. A year after that the battle of the house began and she was at my throat for about 6mos until I smacked her into submission and got a check for just shy of half the selling price. Since then (23 years) I have not heard or seen hide nor hair of her..... except when I was doing some research for my parents 50th anniversary 5yrs ago and a bunch of stuff on her and my XILs showed up in my searches.

SM12's picture

WOW!!! I recognize EVERY SINGLE ITEM in BM. She has done each and every one of these things to DH. DH and I have had several conversations about BM controlling our time, home and money. I have disengaged from the crazy but when her crazy interferes in MY Life, time or money, My claws come out.

I really need to have my DH read this.

Pharlap's picture

YUP! But once she found a new dick to hop onto she mellowed out (a bit, the bouts of crazy still pop up occasionally)

CLove's picture

BM is downright crazy, and SO fed into that dynamic unknowingly. He caught her communicating and receiving nekked pics of men online and via texts. His ex BIL's fiancé told him what was going on. So he threw her a$$ out, even paid for her to move. But she kept coming back!!!!! And drinking so that she just "had" to stay, she couldn't drive home drunk. This is when we first met, and he was out dancing and being a "single" man after 15 plus years of a relationship. We were simply friends the first 1 1/2 years.

Unbeknownst to me, She kept coming back, over and over again, and he just couldn't get rid of her.

Well, when I first was in a committed relationship with him, she went off the richter scale, texted and was very angry. I read some of her texts and they were horrible. It got to the point where she was using her eldest daughter's key to get in the house, and SO had to take it away, there were tears and arguments. I had had no idea until then, that they had remained in a physical relationship that ended when ours began. So now I am forever haunted by that "separated not divorced" status that men like to put out there when dating. I am over it now, he knows that he did the wrong thing keeping the physical side with her. It kept her hopes of reconciliation alive, and indeed made her think that they were "still together".

Then she has also used the children against him, saying hes not a good father, etc. And said horrible things about me to the children. Texted him once "how can you be with someone like her, the kids both think you love her more than you love them (totally not true!!!!)" on and on through these years.

3 years later, she doesn't text him at all hours after drinking, her sexy texts that she used to. She doesn't keep asking for things.

She doesn't have much to say now, because of her abusing her eldest daughter 3 weeks ago. Texting is at a minimum.

But the article could have been written about her 3 years ago!

ldvilen's picture

Message to divorced people: Once you divorce, you are no longer a couple. If you had children together, yes, you are parents. Once you divorce, you are no longer a couple period. So anything going on where couples are involved = Dad and SM are a couple and Mom and step-dad are a couple. If mom is not married and dad is, too bad, to put it bluntly. Dad and his wife (SM) are still a couple, and mom either brings a date or goes solo. Same thing if dad is not remarried or hitched, but mom is.

Bio-dad and his wife (SM) are not be invited to any event, and then once bio-dad gets there, it is expected or even seating arrangements are such, that bio-dad and bio-mom are seated together. They are not a couple. They gave up that right when they divorced, and yes, that includes every blankety-blank event in the universe--no matter how much SKs may want it differently. I know the kids didn't ask for ma and pa to divorce, but neither did step-mom or step-dad.

Like the article says above, it is about control. It not about wishful thinking or pretending for the "sake" of so and so. No one should expect any woman or man to give up their spouse for even one day so someone else can "play spouse" with their real-life partner. At least, not without permission from both bio-dad and SM or BM and step-dad. Amen.

Pharlap's picture

I blame crap TV shows like Reba where everyone is just one big ol happy family that comes and goes as they please and eats each other's food out of the fridge. Totally unrealistic and it's how you end up with crap like that photo floating around a few weeks ago of the barfarific soccer jerseys.

ldvilen's picture

That show was basically a BM's wet dream. Although it is my understanding Reba's ex- and his wife were fooling around while Reba and he were still married (which, only about 6% of remarriages involve a union thru an extra-martial affair), Reba's ex- and his wife were portrayed as absolute fools who continually turned to Reba for mercy. Reba's children were portrayed as good kids who turned to know-it-all mom for any kind of advice when things went wrong. Reba's dates, of course, were all hunky he-men, who were all just waiting in line to be her knight in shining armor and take on the put up with any mess. At the end of the day, they were all just one big happy family with Reba being A-#1 and the complete center of attention. Totally unrealistic, yet popular.

By the way, my husband's ex- loved that show. I wonder why? Blum 3

Cooooookies's picture

BM2 has done all of it. Hopefully it ended last Sunday when DH told her she gets F all when FIL dies and F all when DH dies. A few weeks before that he told her she blew her chance years ago and he's in love with me. Before that SS14 told her that he loves us and happy here.

For a woman who has a Master's Degree, she sure is thick.