You are here

Ex Living with MIL??

GSF300's picture

Hi all-

Started a new schedule with future SD- --  MIL is daycare and I dropped her off this morning and the EX's dog greets me at the door???? UM...what? Ex just sold her house and is moving closer to MIL and FIL...not cool but I understand because her family is an hour and a half away...but STILL COME ON... Now when I asked if they were keeping the dog, future MIL got this super uncomfortable look on her face and said oh I guess for a little while....WTF is she living there now? There has been loyality problems to their son in the past...and then she had the nerve to say he needs to step up  more?

What does that mean --more days? More money? What? His Ex said she didnt want child support ( odd i know) but wanted him to pay for daycare.....but holy hell to think that EX and MIL are spending every day together probably talking about what a shitty father he is? When I dont know what else they could want? Hes having a huge sit down with them on saturday his mother and father and then separatley with the EX...unless shes there LOL then one big meeting?

I will not be attending....

SM12's picture

I would NOT be attending any more family functions or visits with my ILs if BM was living with them.  Boundaries are being stomped on big time here!

GSF300's picture

Yeah luckily when I do drop offs its only one day a week AM and shes at work. This shit just blows my mind....lol she goes to family functions as well too....its an interesting dynamic.

ESMOD's picture

I am guessing this is temporary until her permanent housing is ready?  To be honest, I can totally see my MIL doing something like this because she wouldn't want her grandbabies to be homeless and have to stay in a hotel or something.  Im curious as to why she couldn't stay at her own relatives closeby.. but maybe the dog presented issues there.  I'm guessing your MIL is a people fixer and pleaser and offered.  I am also guessing that MIL and the EX had a good relationship and EX has her ear and has figured out that she can exert pressure via his mom.

Mom probably didn't bring this up to him because she was probably hoping that the whole thing would be done before he figured it out. 

I don't know what kind of split the two had.. how much or little he has stepped up with his child etc.. I don't know if he should or shouldn't be stepping up more than he is.. or is doing more than enough already.  BUT, what I would suggest for a boundary with his mother is that she NOT get involved in the nuts and bolts of whatever arrangement gets set up.  She is not a party to the divorce and neither HE nor his EX should be sharing details of things with her.  It is her business whether she lets the EX stay there... it's her house.. but your DH can also choose to not visit mom as well.

GSF300's picture

Seems temporary-- I just dont know why none of this was communicated to my BF!!! He didnt know she was selling her damn house. Until i got nosey and looked it up.  He would find out eventually when she said hey drop SD off at "mom's house....ugh.

His MIL thinks she runs the show because she is full time daycare M-F...plus family sundays the Ex is welcomed over with SD.

They are both part time parents....but as you know there is only so much I can say. The little on is only two- -- BF could offer to pay support and take her more days...I just dont know? Hes awesome with her when she is with us and we share responsibilities and work as a team. Its just when the EX and MIL pop up into conversation it turns into a shit show. The Ex and i have open communication--- MIL and I not so much still working on that relationship but how can i do that when the f***ing EX wont go away!!!!

ESMOD's picture

His mom didn't tell him because she didn't want him to give her a load of crap over it.  But... the bottom line is that it's her house and she can have anyone as a guest.  Your husband cannot tell her to not do that.  If he complains.. she is just going to say she is doing it for the child's sake.  It's only temporary. 

What he should tell his mom is that he wants her to stay out of his split and the details of his custody and support agreements... they are none of her business.

ESMOD's picture

Oh.. I agree 100%... that would piss me off.  Your MIL is clearly taking sides with the BM because she wants to maintain access to her grandchild.. and wants him full time with her as much as possible.  So she sucks up to the parent with the most control over the kid.  THEN.. she ends up being used by BM as a pawn in the split negotiations.

lieutenant_dad's picture

BM in my situation moved in with my MIL before she and DH divorced (DH was military and they were moving back to home state after his contract was up, but OSS was starting school so BM moved back early to get him enrolled).

Then BM started dating someone while married to DH. Then, she moved her BF (now XH) into my MIL's house while still married to DH. Then BM served DH with divorce papers and tried to kick MIL out of her own house (she successfully did this a few years later with her own mother).

If you ask MIL why she did it, she'll tell you it was because she didn't know what would happen to the boys, her grands. The truth? She cared more about seeing her grandkids and being a FT granny than she did about her own son.

My MIL has inserted herself into more BS with BM than was ever necessary, and it has caused major custody and financial problems for DH. DH has found that the only way to limit the drama with his mother is to cut off contact.

Let your BF lose his sh*t on his parents and XW, and let him set the boundaries he wants to set. If BM and MIL are that chummy, then MIL can get all her visitation through BM. Your SO gets to decide who visits his child on his time, and who he interacts with. His mom will either hate never having her son and GD together, or she'll always blame your SO for being "unreasonable". Either way, it limits stress in his and your life, which is a major blessing.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

This entire situation calls for firm boundaries, more structure, and consistency.

Your SO needs to formalize his custody arrangement with his ex. It's easier to handle things informally when the skids are quite young, but trust me, it's only a matter of time before BM takes your SO to court. He needs to start squirreling away $$ for legal fees, too. Custody time, cs, health insurance and day care costs need to be covered. This will create a framework for coparenting.

Next, your SO has to deal with his mother. She may be disordered, or merely ignorant but he needs to limit the amount of time she has access to his child. She's shown that she is not loyal to him and doesn't recognize basic family structure, so stop entrusting skid to her care. He can just say that he wants skid to have more opportunities for socialization and education blah blah to keep his real agenda on the down low, but this needs to happen. It may be saving him $$ now, but his mother is not an emotionally safe person to have caring for his child. Otherwise, the skid is going to be taught to disrespect your SO and you.

AFTER your SO has his child in a different daycare, he needs to draw HARD boundaries with his mom. I'm guessing that their relationship was already rocky, but he needs to be firm and call her out on her lack of boundaries and disloyalty.

GSF300's picture

Exjuliemccoy --- This is all in the works hes having a big sit down with them on Saturday! I'm afraid if he pulls her out of daycare of MIL that will do  more harm then good to SD. She hasnt spent much time around other children because she has just been in MIL's care....which is very concerning to me Daycare with other children can be super beneficial.  Im interested to see what happens after this talk!

Rags's picture

If MIL is "day care" then DH needs to tell his XW to pay his mother since... his mother is... HIS mother and is doing HIM a favor by watching the GrandSpawn. Since XW is no longer family... she gets no favors from HIS mother.

Then DH needs to take  his parents out for a come to Jesus dinner and set them straight. 

My mom is one to consider a DIL a daughter and that as a lifetime bond regardless of the marrital status of that DIL in relation to her son(s).  But, she gained clarity when my cavern crotched adulterous whore of an XW pulled her whorish crap and ultimately divorced.  Though my mom had little contact with my XW she was torn as to her relationship with my XW.  My XW was the first add on female in the Rags clan.  So my mom applied significant connection to my XW that really was not there.  It all came to an end when she was visiting me a few years after the divorce.  My XW and I were in the process of selling our marrital home and she was pissed that I demanded half.  She called one evening as my parents and I walked into my condo.  I answered the phone and the XW started cussing me up one side and down the other.  My mom walked up to me, took the phone out of my hand said "You will not speak to my son that way. Get a life!" and slammed the phone back onto the receiver.

And that is when my mom gained clarity.

It would be much harder this time around as my mom and my bride are pretty much BFFs.  I'm screwed when my DW and I have any disagreement.  She just says "Oh ya?  I am calling your mother." At that point I just surrender.      Dash 1

sunshinex's picture

I don't know where I stand here... When we initially moved a few hours away - taking SD with us full-time, I told BM she was welcome to save some money herself, and I would save some as well, and help her move up nearby. I told her she was even welcome to stay with us and look for places if she needed. I wanted what was best for SD, and unfortunately, neither of her two bioparents made enough money at the time to support her but I made a decent amount with opportunity for advancement if we moved.

So the best thing for SD was moving so at least I could afford what she needed. I wanted her mom to be closeby, still, so I offered help anyway I could. Her mom didn't take me up on it. It wasn't overly important to her to be near SD or be involved with SD. But at least I offered lol 

lieutenant_dad's picture

But did you talk to your DH about it first and get his blessing? Did you make sure he was okay with that arrangement?

I'm not anti-BM living with MIL. I'm anti-BM and MIL making that decision without discussing it with Dad first since it was "for the child". If It's for the child, Mom and Dad both need to be involved in that decision.

I guess this just triggers me because when BM was homeless and bouncing around, MIL was babysitting and knew where the boys were. However, because she knew, BM didn't feel the need to tell DH. And BM never told DH she had moved, so he assumed it was in the apartment she told him about because he had no reason to think otherwise.

It muddies things so much when ILs get involved, and if an IL sees the kids more than the parent (whether due to circumstance, distance, or discord), the IL can start taking over as that parent.

Siemprematahari's picture

Please keep us posted on how things go down on Saturday. I hope everything works out in favor of you and BF. Boundaries definitely have to be placed and hope he gets to resolve some of these issues.

Positive vibes to you this weekend!

momjeans's picture

I agree. My own mother would have NEVER even entertained the idea of allowing my ex to stay in her home, no matter how temporary - because it’s a major boundary to cross with your own child. 

My MIL on the other hand, would not bat an eye at saying “Yes” to BM. Her son’s verbally and physically abusive ex wife. But, then again, my MIL is a self-serving arse that destroys inter family relationships, so it would be totally lost on her, the irreparable damage she waould be causing. 

I feel for you, OP. My MIL is the same way. 

Rags's picture

Interestingly my DW and my Rents are BFFs.  If something happens to me or to our marriage I don't think that would change.  So, if this marriage crashes and burns I am relegated to a life of unintroduced serial significant others.

Fortunately the marriage is looking good so far.

notasm3's picture

Of course MIL hasn't done anything illegal. But she is an a$$hole.

OP -  now you know your MILs true colors.  Lower your expectations.  And remember this when she's feeble and weak and would like your help.   You owe her NOTHING.

Rags's picture

This MIL needs a foot up her ass.  I would be shopping for shit hole nursing homes as my weekend hobby if I were this POS woman's son.

GSF300's picture

So saturday he had his meeting with MIL and BM. He royally pissed his MIL off- I will not being doing drop offs at her house anymore unless absolutely necessary. He asked me to limit conversation with MIL, not that we really talked anyway. And we arent attending any of the holidays we have SD...because BM will probably make a point of stopping over anyway. And he doesnt want to deal with the drama. He made it clear that no one has set boundaries and this is how it will be until they pull their heads out of their asses.He seems content with his decision to step back from family. BM is only staying there until her rental is available next month.

I did talk with BM- she clarified that her family was 3 hours away and she didnt want to uproot SD. Again her and I are good but her respect for BF and establishing boundaries is not there. But its not my place to open that can of worms. I guess BF exchanged words with BM and how he wasnt informed and he doesnt know where his daughter is laying her head down at night....hopefully it registered that they will actually have to F&$#ing communicate.