You are here

Evil Stepmother

Octaffy20's picture

I feel like such an evil stepmom sometimes. The kid is five and super sweet but seems to be trying to test me around ever corner. And it seems like when he gets in trouble it always my fault at least in his eyes. I try to be patient but firm and his father is always supportive. We are still in an adjustment period but any advice? Is there any hope things will change?

Merry's picture

What do you mean by "supportive?" Do you mean that he supports you dishing out the discipline, while occasionally saying, "Yeah, what Octaffy said." Or do you mean that you and he have agreed on house rules, boundaries, etc., and you both enforce them?

If you are the primary "parent," that's the problem right there.

Octaffy20's picture

He supports me backing me up with what I say and will put him in timeout if not listening. I am not a primary parent. His BD and BM are both very active in his life.

Maxwell09's picture

Five is a hard age. Look up milestones and common phases 5 year olds go through so you can effectively deal with them. I found this to be the most helpful when my SS was five and now that my bio is five. At this young age, keeping consistent in boundaries and rules will set yall up for an easier ride. 

Wicked stepmo.'s picture

If it's only been a month, he is still testing your boundaries. Even after things improve, kids will do this at every stage of life so it will happen again. 

My son is 13 and is now testing out back talking me. I can tell you it hasn't worked out well for him one bit. 

Rags's picture

He is 5. Who cares what he thinks he thinks.  5yos do not have the development to know what the hell they think for even feel.  If your SO is giving  you crap about the 5yo's hurt fee fees.... dump them both.