You are here

Everything separate?

Stormyweather's picture

Anyone experiencing everything in their marriage (second marriage) to be separate? I was talking to DH the other week after having a few issues with both of us not feeling connected lately and I mentioned that I dont "feel" married....we have everything listed as being separate...even our "joint" house account is in my name as he didnt want to open up a joint account. Even our medical insurance is separate as I had DH and SS17 listed on my medical insurance but DH took himself off and organised his own as SS17 has recently been diagnosed with having Borderline Personality Disorder and he needed to attend a few hospital stays and I think (looking back) DH hates asking me for details about the cover and instead prefers his own.

The house is in my name...we have cars but in single names. Bills are either in my name eg electricity or his eg cable....but I pay for anything about the house out of the "joint" account which is in my name. When he lodged his tax this year and even last year (he gets his done by an accountant as he owns his own business), I asked for his tax details which are required when I lodged my tax but he didnt ask me for mine as we are married and theres a section on the form that asks about the spouses earnings.

He dosent say anything when I raise this...and it frustrates me as I said its like he wants to keep things separate in case we divorce....but he dosent reply. The only thing we have in common and that we share is our kitten.

So me wanting to talk about planning for the future is out.....its so frustrating as Im a planner!! What happens later when we retire? He says im his beneficiary (as he is on my superannuation fund) but I havent seen the paper work and yet I notice his company pays for his kids to do their tax!! No doubt he pays for their internet and iphones...I pay for everything like that myself. BTW, he has three "kids"....SS17 (who still lives with BM) SD20 and SD22.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Acratopotes's picture

Stormy - We do everything separately as well, Medical, Insurance, bills... you name it, Cars as well.
Hell we do not even share a house, we live separately Wink

I am fine with this, and this is the way it will be till Aergia leaves the nest (1.5 years) Then I might move back.
The only thing that will change with me moving back, I will start paying 50% of the bond again, since I moved out, I started invoicing SO my 50% as well... rent... why should I pay for a house I'm not living in? SO was upset and I smiled and said, due to you being a shitty parent I was forced out of my house... I'm not paying for it anymore,
If we did not merge years ago he would've lost the house, I bailed him out by purchasing 50% of it...

I will always keep everything separate, It's just easier, I plan ahead, I make sure I have no debt, and I make sure I can retire one day with out worries, SO on the other hand... money burns a hole in his pocket, he spends his salary even before he got it. I will not merge finances with him, never.... my stuff will always be on my name I do not want to loose anything, due to his debt I refuse to get married, I'm not paying for his mistakes one day.

I must say SO has been doing better over the years, with me refusing to merge everything, he's learning how to budget, I do not even lend him money anymore and I have a contract of monies lend to him before... he will pay it back. If you can afford to give your 17 year old 200USD a week-end to party with, you can afford your own bills....
Suddenly he can't buy food, (I use to) I smiled and said - maybe you should spend less on entertainment and more on basic needs..... (see never used the brat's name)

Aergia once said straight out.... SO should give her more money I'm there to buy groceries and pay bills... I just laughed and said... I do not live here, I'm not your mother, I have no obligation towards you go and ask your mother for entertainment money.... it's not my responsibility.

I do plan for my future and SO knows the plan... it's up to him if he will be in that future or not and he knows it....
Yes sounds terrible but my future plans are in such a way that it would not matter if SO is part of it or not... I'm not putting my life on hold....for any one....

I do love the idiot and I would like him to be in my future, I know the idiot loves me the beatch and he wants me in his future... he's day dreaming about it constantly..... we share it with each other but we both know nothing will happen until Aergia reaches 21...
13 months of school left and 24 months of college in different town... I can wait, after that he will not support Aergia financially, this is the custom over here, if kid does not study after school they have to work, and be financially supporting themselves, if they go to college, parents just pay till 21..... then it's over.

Acratopotes's picture

I would sell the ours house..... and charge DH monthly rent if he moves in with me....this monthly rent will go to retirement plan and not to skids.... this way skids can never come back living in your house, it's your house not their fathers house }:) }:) }:)

my SO does not know it yet... but the ours house will be sold 2020.... the new ours house will only have one bedroom and one bathroom... no place for visitors...... Deigma will remain living in my house with furniture and all, he pays rent accordingly.... and he can get a room mate cause it's a very big house, his rent will include garden services cause my garden will not go away....

see I planned till 2020 - I have 4 years to plant the seed with SO and make him believe it was his wonderful idea to sell the big house and down scale }:)

Acratopotes's picture

if he's not willing to move or buy a smaller ours house with no place for adult skids, then I would reconsider my options lol

I know for a fact SO can't buy me out, he will be to relief to sell the big house and pay less on a new ours house...

I will just tell him I can't afford it anymore and I'm getting old, cleaning self is difficult with working full time, him not helping in the house, I'm working on more reasons lol... but I know if I say.... can't afford the house and the maid, maid has to go (she's retiring) you need to help me clean or we down scale... SO would be packed in 10 minutes for the down scale...

that man is seriously afraid of brooms. mops and washing dishes }:)

yolo222's picture

you said its like he wants to keep things separate in case of a divorce. Doesn't sound like he has much faith in the marriage. A statement like that would make me feel very insecure. Seems like he is planning for divorce rather than planning for a future with his wife. This would be very upsetting to me. Seems like many of you step families keep finances separate and the poster above a lives separate from her spouse. Also planning for the future and financial plans for the future are important for a married couple.

I understand why people say everything should be separate. But then why be married? This type of separateness, while I understand the thought process behind it, can make a spouse feel like a complete outsider in her own marriage. Anyway. Just some thoughts:)

Rags's picture

Nope, DW and I have always held everything jointly with the exception of a few cars over the years that I purchased for her. Those have been in my name only. That is the only way I could surprise her and she nor I ever felt it to be necessary to add her to the title. This is my second marriage and her second notable commited relationship and we both for the most part got out of the prior significant relationship intact or with minimal financial downside.

We married a few months after I completed my undergraduate engineering degree. At that time we had my freshly minted degree, two 8yo cars, and two apartments full of college furniture and belongings. So, for all practical purposes we have built everything we have together over the past 22+ years. My retirement investment accounts are in my name with her as beneficiary and hers are in her name with me as benaficiary. We each have life insurance policies with the other as primary beneficiary. All of our assets go to the other in the event of one of us passing before the other and in the event of our joint demise it all goes into trust for our son (My SS-24 who I adopted) until he either completes a Bachelors Degree from an accredited college or university or turns 40yo whichever comes first.

In your situation I think you are actually in a good position. You can plan for your own retirement future and if the relationship ends since most of the primary assets are in your name you will have the biggest stick to swing in a divorce situation.

I would suggest that you expect the best for a long, lucrative, and happy retirement together but plan for the worst and protect yourself accordingly. Since DH is the one that drives the separate financial position model in the event that the two of you divorce I would use it to your advantage.

Good luck.

thinkthrice's picture

You know how during a first marriage religious ceremony they say there are 3 parties in your marriage...God, you and your husband? Well in a second marriage, most applicably to stepMOMs, the 3 parties are you, your husband and the BM/skids/government agencies (CPS, CSEU, etc), which act as the holy trinity god in a second marriage. Pardon the blasphemy.

SM12's picture

If I knew then what I know now, I would have made sure that everything stayed separate in our house.
It is pretty divided anyway but I would have kept it ALL separate.
Our house is in my name only as I purchased it prior to our being married.
We have a joint checking for bill paying but I have my own private account that I kept from before marriage as well. I put any (rare) CS that
I get for BS in that account. I refuse to put it into the joint account. However, I also use my private account for all of BS's needs/ expenses.
Other than our joint bank account, we have one vehicle together (DH's truck)
We each have life insurance with the other as the beneficiary (I think). I haven't seen proof that he has me listed as beneficiary but I think
now you have to have your spouse sign acknowledging they are not beneficiary if you don't list them at all.

Honestly the only reason we have a joint account is because DH is too lazy to pay his own bills. So we have a joint account so I can pay all the bills
and make sure it is all taken care of. I will say I am lucky that DH doesn't really spend a ton or make large purchases without discussing it first.

My biggest complaint is his willingness to hand extra money to BM at the second she insists without looking at our financial situation first.
Since that has happened a few times, I started taking 1/2 of my paycheck and putting into my own account so it doesn't go toward BM or the Skids.
I leave enough in the joint account to pay for my portion of the bills.
Had I known it would take so many years to get to this place of peace with our finances, I would have started out separate and stayed separate.

notarelative's picture

The 401k, in the U.S., will go to the legal spouse regardless of any designation unless the legal spouse signs off on specific paperwork that is filed with the 401k holding company.

A designation in a pre or post nup, while helpful in warding off challenges, does not impact US federal law. If you are in the U.S. your 401k will go to your spouse unless the appropriate paperwork is filled.

Your IRA, in the U.S.,is different. It follows state rules and they can be the same as federal or different.

In any case I don't think the original poster is in the U.S. so most of this does not relate to her situation.

Acratopotes's picture

monkey should just screw over her husband and kids, take him for everything, chew him up and spit out the bones, then take his belongings and money and live happily ever after, on a island, laughing her butt off cause skids have nothing

that's what evil SM's does

Major Blunder's picture

HEY HEY HEY, some of us SD's did it for the money as well as screwing over her diamond encrusted angels. Blum 3

Stepped in what momma's picture

As someone who had to pay her mothers debt when she died and doesn't expect to get anything from her dad when he passes it is weird seeing how people automatically expect to get something instead of being grateful to get one thing. I would hate for anyone to expecting to get anything left of my money and property, I am leaving everything to charity.

twoviewpoints's picture

Read her older forum post. And yes, she has child/children of her own (not minors).

They've been having this same disagreement of finances and 'sharing' for a long time.

I feel for Stormy. He isn't the guy who can give her the marriage and happiness as a couple she deserves... but she keeps trying to change him. She hasn't accepted her odds of bringing him over to the same page she's on and needs him to be also on is zilch.

What she wants isn't wrong, it's just not going to happen with who she has chosen to marry. She's a lovely and kind generous lady with a lot to bring to a well carefully chosen partner... it's just not going to happen with this guy. No matter how much she tries or loves him.

MollyBrown's picture

Honestly, it seems like he is waiting for you to kick him out again and he doesn't trust that your not going to do it again. Remember you kicked him out after a few months of marriage. . I am not saying he is right. But that's what his actions seem to say to me.

ldvilen's picture

I agree with Trying. .Supermom: "I think each marriage/relationship is different; different folks, different strokes. Me personally would not want to be married and have everything separated like we were roommates, it wouldn't seem "right" to me."

StormyWeather brings up something that I think even some in the community don't realize, and that is there are different kinds of SMs, and depending on the situation, arrangements, esp. financial, can really vary.

For example, there is the original SM, where BM has passed and there is just DH and SM. No living BM to deal with, but one who has passed can be almost as powerful with SKs as one still living, from what I've seen here. However, you'd think finances would be more like a typical husband and wife. Or, there is DH who remarried and SM has never been married before. Here, they are going to have different expectations--DH might expect more of a partner and SM might expect more of a husband. Or, there is the SM, who is not married to dad, but has been involved with him for so many years, it almost feels like she is, but in that case, I can see where finances would be more separate.

I don't think there is a definitive catch-all regarding how to split finances for SMs. There are just some things that are not all across the board for SMs, and I think how finances are divided is one of them.

When my DH and I were first married, we kept finances pretty separate, if for any reason, due to his income being called in question in ref. to child support. But, now that years have passed, in some ways I think that allowed my DH (and allows many in the general public) to think that SM and dad/DH aren't really married, per se. They are just roommates with benefits. Some will try to use this as an excuse to exclude SM, too, such as, "My dad paid for the wedding and SM did nada." When, in reality, no matter how finances are divided, SM and dad/DH are partnered or husband and wife, and therefore no matter how you spin it, both contributed because at the end of the day, less for one will mean less for the other.

Stormyweather's picture

"Read her older forum post. And yes, she has child/children of her own (not minors).

They've been having this same disagreement of finances and 'sharing' for a long time.

I feel for Stormy. He isn't the guy who can give her the marriage and happiness as a couple she deserves... but she keeps trying to change him. She hasn't accepted her odds of bringing him over to the same page she's on and needs him to be also on is zilch.

What she wants isn't wrong, it's just not going to happen with who she has chosen to marry. She's a lovely and kind generous lady with a lot to bring to a well carefully chosen partner... it's just not going to happen with this guy. No matter how much she tries or loves him."

"Honestly, it seems like he is waiting for you to kick him out again and he doesn't trust that your not going to do it again. Remember you kicked him out after a few months of marriage. . I am not saying he is right. But that's what his actions seem to say to me."

awwww.....you made me clutch my breast when I read your post Twoviewpoints...for that I thank you as you do remember my hsitory....mainly to do with my SD selling my horse by ripping off a poor unsuspecting buyer by claiming it was a calm horse for a begininner rider when it was not (I found this out later when I spoke to a friend of the lady who bought the horse)...and then saying I was harassing her to her sister and father after I texted her to inquire about the $1K she "owed" me seeing I had heard on the grape vine she had sold my horse 4 weeks previously. My DH dove to his precious daughters defense and ripped me a new one for daring to contact her about the money and that I SHOULD have spoken to HIM about it and not her!!! We were only married 6 months at the time and I struggled to accept "his reality" and felt very manipulated by them both and in the mean time, his fathers rental came up for lease and he and his son (SS16 at the time) moved out and lived there while we "sorted things out"....aka..me learning to drop the utter resentment I feel towards his daughter (and him) for throwing me under a bus and supporting her manipulative ways over his WIFE (he refused to even see me "nice" text I had written as proof I wasnt harassing her)..

I still have deep seated resentment of her and I have disengaged 1000% from his kids and I never ask about them, or even utter their name anymore.

And I believe in the fundamentals of "being married" as like one person commented...why get married and Ive said this to him as well....he goes quiet. Its like we are more than just flat mates who sleep together and have all the nice stuff attached to being married....company and sex....but no sharing, planning or pooling resources together....

and yes, we both contribute EQUALLY every week to an account we call the "house account" which is in my name...that we've recently had to dip into and pay $10K towards his tax bill for his business as he didnt have the money!!! So we are back to only having $2K in the account.

And he does pay for his adult childrens internet and Iphone connection etc...aka..their telehone bill....they are on his plan. When he was having an issue with a hidden charge happening, I suggested that he organise to authorise me to ring on his behalf to save him hours being on the phone so I can sort things out for him....crickets....Im guessing he dosent want to shove the fact that he pays for his kids on his telephone plan but I look after myself....his thinking? His adult kids dont work FT so they cant afford it so "hes helping them out".....barf!

....and you are all right...I cant change him..and its only just lately I realize this is what Ive been doing subconsciously, hoping that he "sees the light" and the way hes been treating me and wants to step up and treat me in a more loving way..

Ive discovered Im codependent (and he is possibly a covert narcissist) and Ive been doing a LOT of research to help me gather the strength to start looking after me...with or without him.

Acratopotes's picture

Stormy - you know me lol...... I will tell you... stuff that man, his adult snot kids are more important then you, stop bailing him out from the house fund, his business is his business and if he needs to pay something for the business he can get it from the kids. It's not your problem...

Start saving up your cash Hon, get a nice cosy nest egg.... and plan your life ahead, as you said.. with or with out him, you can also sign up for one of my classes... }:)