You are here

Estranged sd ....

Blondylady's picture

So.... Myself and dh went out for dinner to finally discuss the major pink elephants in the room. Number 1 on the agenda was sd4 who dh has not seen for two years because of crazy bm2. She has sent him some pretty crazy manipulative emails stating how sd4 has been crying every day for dh and asking for his number. She quickly followed this with an email the next day (dh had not responded yet because he wanted to speak to me first about things) saying she actually didn't want him to see sd4 and I quote "I told her I didn't hear back from you because you are living in another country and that's why she can't see you".

There were a couple of conclusions myself and dh have reached from this:

That she was manipulating and exaggerating sd4 need to see dh. Yes she probably did ask about him but we don't feel the extent to which the email implied was accurate of a 4 year old child. Why would she do this? For attention, control over dh (because he had not replied to other crazy emails from her in the past) and even though he has sent her extra cs to buy sd4 Xmas presents (as he does every year including birthdays) she is looking for extra presents this Xmas. Why we reached this conclusion is because last time dh saw sd4 she demanded more money from him to "make up for lost bdays and xmasses even though he has always sent extra money at these times (and in fact does any month we have anything extra to give which is most months).

Anyway we are staying in fil house until our house is renovated which will be start of feb. we have agreed to discuss visitation at this time.... Feeling very apprehensive about dealing with this woman and leaving her into our lives. Dh was very frank regarding the break down of their relationship and I had no idea how nasty she had actually played in court (I knew it was bad but didn't know exactly how bad).

Anyways I have been distant with hubby from the next morning onwards. Just felt angry at him for putting us in this situation although sd was born a year before we met. I also tackled the hand holding with ss11. Dh could not understand why I was annoyed and stated "if he wants to hold my hand when he's 15 I'll allow him to". Then after dinner ss11 rang him for a chat. At the end of the phone call he says "night babe love you" which is his nickname for me. Well I nearly lost it. Just turned over and went to sleep. All I could keep thinking is if he's this bad with ss11 what on earth will he be like with sd4. I already feel like our life revolves around ss11 for example I never get a weekend with just dh as ss11 is ALWAYS here at weekends and hubby usually works til 8 at night so by the time he's home fed and showered we only have about an hour together each night. I'm trying to be supportive of my hubby and haven't told him any of this so apologies for my long vent, I guess I just needed to get my feelings down and to have them heard. Feeling so depressed do not even want to get up today

StepKat's picture

I can understand how you do not want to deal with a crazy BM. However, you need to understand that 2 years is a long time for your DH not to see his daughter. He should have been allowed to start visitation (based on the court’s rulings) after his daughter was born. It’s not fair to a good father to keep his child away from him. Also (and I don’t want to sound mean here), but getting mad about your DH telling his son "night babe love you" seems a bit petty. My DH calls his daughter baby all the time. I don’t mind it because he loves her like a father should.

Blondylady's picture

I think you misunderstand. I will support my husband as I have done with his ss11. I'm apprehensive about dealing with a crazy bm2. That is a very different thing entirely.

StepKat's picture

Dealing with an insane BM is aggravating and will cause most happy individuals to feel as if they are losing their minds. I have an insane BM as well. The only advice I can give you is to not get involved with her. Let your DH handle her. Just be there to love your DH and support him with SD4.

Patsy's picture

What got me is you are irked that your Dh called your SS babe. You should be able to overlook that because he asked your opinion about his situation with with his daughter. To support your husband is not standing off from him, you stand with him. You are annoyed with him and the situation he put you all in. To say you are supportive, but then you get irritated that he called is son babe.... I don't get it.

StepKat's picture

Hm. Never thought of it that way. I guess I just never felt the need to have my own unique pet name.

Blondylady's picture

I absolutely agree with you pushedtoinsanity. We both have endearing nicknames which we use for ss11. I guess I just feel very insecure and scared about out new situation and want to still feel important as his wife!! I did not in any way have a problem with him saying he loved his son.

StepKat's picture

It’s ok to feel scare and insecure. I felt that way as well every time I had to be around his ex. But here’s the thing, you are his wife, he chose you and therefore you will always be important to him.

Blondylady's picture

Thank you. I guess I felt I had done really well getting over bm1 issues and fostering a relationship with ss. I love when dh calls me his step mum. It's just scary because I know how much dh loved bm2 (he didn't love bm1) and I'm just feeling do threatened to be honest. I feel this makes me a horrible person and this is why I could never say this to dh or my friends or family.

Blondylady's picture

Thank you step Kat I'm going to try my very best. I am actually on fairly good terms with bm1 but know bm2 is going to be a challenge.

StepKat's picture

Ignore her, don’t have anything to do with her, don’t try to be friends or nice to her. Just flat out don’t talk to her. It will be less stressful on your DH because he will not have to deal with BM2 getting mad about anything you do or you getting mad about BM2. I had to do this. I tried the be nice thing but the woman is insane, so now I act as if she doesn’t exist.

Blondylady's picture

That's really good advice. My dh tried so hard approx 2 years ago but it was actually scary how bm2 verbally a used him - sent vicious messages at all times of the night etc. dh thinks this was partly because we had just gotten married. He reckons bm2 hates the family unit that we are. It just sucks were from a country where unmarked fathers have very few rights so my dh has pandered to her in the past because in all honesty he is a bit scared of her.

Amber Miller's picture

When I took my boys and left their father he didn't see or talk to them for 2 years. I never tried to keep them from him. He didn't even call them on their birthdays or Xmas. I had to leave him as he went to jail for hitting me. My eldest son remembers his dad throwing a vacuum cleaner at me down a flight of 15 stairs and remembers his dad throwing a hot pan filled with hot rice at me. Thank goodness I was able to get out of the way of its trajectory. I had to remove my boys and myself from the abuse. Even though we left, I cannot think of a single good reason why their dad couldn't call them on their birthdays. They were so little at the time. A few days ago, my middle son asked me why his dad didn't try to contact him during those 2 years. I didn't know what to say so I told him that dad and mom have both made mistakes but we love him very much. I then told him to focus on the fact that he does see dad now and we can focus on a good future together. The truth is really: your dad is a drug addict who cares more about getting high than he does about you. I have 100% physical and legal custody because their father didn't show up for mediation or our court dates. I just don't have the heart to tell my kids the truth. There is nothing to be gained by telling them that marijuana is more important to him than anything else. He can't pay his $445 a month for child support for 3 kids but he sure can make sure he's got a big sack of weed at all times which he advertises on Facebook. How sad.

Amber Miller's picture

I appreciate that very much. Yes, it is sad but now I have a loving DH who treats me and my children like gold. My eldest is in therapy and is doing well. The ex isn't really a dad to them. I am just grateful that I have a loving family that helped us get out of this abusive situation before it really damaged the kids.

Blondylady's picture

She took him to court first when the baby was born regarding cs. He won because he had been paying her xyz maintenance and had even sent her extra money before the baby was born to get a stroller and whatever the baby needed. He then tried to see baby numerous times. She was NEVER home. Then he took her to court regarding visitation and again he won and was awarded access. However bm2 used to not allow him to bring sd from her home and used to bring her friends around during his visitation time and used to be verbally abusive towards him. I actively encouraged him at the time to keep up visitation but she would not allow ss11 to meet her and he just felt that she was making things so difficult but I know he loves her with all his heart. I remember when we first started dating and he found videos of her as a baby in his hard drive and he Asked me to watch them with him and he just sobbed....

Blondylady's picture

We live in Ireland. Unmarried fathers have zero rights!!! He tried several times to see baby girl and he's such a good day to ss11 so it's not like he tries to avoid fatherly duties by any means!!

Willow2010's picture

Ok... I know it is frustrating, but you may need to step back a bit. I used to get annoyed with DH holding SS's hand at the age of about 14. I told DH that SS's friends were going to see him one day and he was going to be humiliated because none of the other kids held their dads hand at that age. I think I would let that hand holding thing go until the kid is older.

I also know the pet name thing is a little frustrating. But you know what I noticed? I do the same thing. I call my kids babe all the time. I also call DH babe. You should probably let that one go too.

And I am going to give you MHO on your DH. He no more wants to see his kid than you do. If he did, he would have done it long ago.

StepKat's picture

Your DH sounds like a good husband and a loving father. Cut him some slack on things and stay far away from BM2

Blondylady's picture

I think he genuinely wants to see sd only that it's been at least 3 attempts since I've been around and she's so manipulative it's scary. He always felt he was never going to have a normal life where she was concerned. Seriously some of the stuff she has done is scary like lie about when he first saw sd when she was born and brought a teddy and bm2 lies and told the judge that he had robbed it. Ummm excuse me my dh is a manger of a company and does not or has ever had a criminal record.....

Blondylady's picture

Lol dtzyond my husband used to call me his wife before we got married which was super cute until I realised he did this with his gf before me. He never called me that again until I became his actual wife lol!!!

StepKat's picture

DH never told me the pet names he used with BM. I don’t really care either lol. I’m laid back about that kind of stuff. I’m sure he use to call her baby (like he does with me), but I’m married to him now, not her. So she will never get to be called that by him ever again }:)

Disillusioned's picture

Just curious as to why it has been so long that your DH has seen his DD?

Also, my DH calls his daughters (one in her 30's and one in her late 20's) babe, honey, sweetheart...I know at times it makes me uncomfortable to hear him call his adult daughter babe or baby, but I also know he is just trying to be a loving father Smile

Blondylady's picture

I think the honest answer is he doesn't want to build a relationship with sd In case bm2 takes it away again.

Amber Miller's picture

Oh my I never thought about it but my dad calls me "baby", I call my 3 sons "baby", I call my husband "baby" and my husband calls me "baby". I just never thought about it until now. Of course "baby" means something different when I say it to my boys as opposed to my DH. I'm not saying that in your situation it shouldn't bother you, I'm just noticing that I do this and I never thought about it. I would hope if it bothered my husband that I call my boys "baby" that he'd say something. He doesn't so I guess it's ok. I also call them "sweetheart" now and then. They are teenagers and I respect them as growing young men and they know that but I still say "baby". It's not to imply that they are babies; just a term of endearment for me I guess. Biggrin

Blondylady's picture

Dh is such a good dad to ss11 so I'm very confused about the whole thing. Bm2 is complete psycho but he seems to have done a complete flip and gone from being very excited to seeing sd to not replying to bm2..... I don't know what to think....I'm feeling furious that he bothered to tell me at all or that he wanted to see sd. Why bring this all up again if he wasn't going to follow through? This is insane.