You are here

Entitlement Generation in action

skylarksms's picture

I was just walking down the hallway at work (middle school) and heard a couple of 8th grade girls who just got done with lunch:

Girl#1: I am just SO tired of having DOMINOS every single Friday!

Girl#2: I KNOW! Every Friday for three years...

Girl#1: At least they could change it up once in a while.

Girl#2: Yeah, how about Subway or McDonalds?

I just kept walking, shaking my head. We NEVER got Dominos when *I* went to school. We were happy when got the generic SCHOOL pizza!

Just another symptom of kids being brought up to believe that they are the most.important.thing.in.the.WORLD.

Lauren1438's picture

Dominos at school? WTF I never got that! All we had was nasty cafeteria food.

Auteur's picture

Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes, peas and gravy!! I say lets get school lunches back to the OLD cafeteria style ways and not a continuation of their homelife (aka fast/junk food 24/7)

skylarksms's picture

We NEVER once had ANY kind of fast food/delivery food brought into our schools when I went. We MIGHT have brought in birthday cake or something for special occasions...

Can you imagine how much that must COST the school??

Disneyfan's picture

I remember having several choices in high school (82-86). We had a deli line with cold cuts and salads, a line for burgers, fish sandwiches and fries and the regular line. Most of us opted for burgers and fries.

hismineandours's picture

They should try some liver and onions with some stewed tomatoes.

My kids schools do not provide takeout. They do have nifty things like a potato bar, taco bar, and a salar bar though. We didnt even have that when I was in school.

ThatGirl's picture

Every day in high school I ate a Yoplait yogurt and a giant chocolate chip cookie (or Hostess crumb cakes if the cookies were sold out). No way was I going to touch those hot lunches served by he/she's with plastic bags on their hands. I honestly can't remember eating lunch in middle school :o

When my sons were in high school, they did have fast food (Domino's, Burger King, etc), but they preferred the chef salads. I was shocked that they had real fast food available.

skylarksms's picture

I can't believe with all the teacher bitching about pay and administrators complaining about not having enough money for the district, that they would waste money like that. Yes, I think that Dominos pizza is wasteful.

And I also thought the school pizza was just fine.

HadEnoughx5's picture

These kids have no idea how lucky they are on any given day. I remember having cheese pizza on Fridays and if you wanted a piece of "meat" on it, you got bologna on top. I don't ever remember choices and certainly nothing came from a fast food restaurant! :jawdrop:

HadEnoughx5's picture

These kids have no idea how lucky they are on any given day. I remember having cheese pizza on Fridays and if you wanted a piece of "meat" on it, you got bologna on top. I don't ever remember choices and certainly nothing came from a fast food restaurant! :jawdrop:

beyond pissed-off's picture

Exactly. My skids get to choose not only which restaurant but also which super-pricey item to order. And then eat less than half of it, insist on bringing it home and refuse later to eat it because they "do not eat leftovers." Entitlement at its best!

Auteur's picture

When I went to school (I'm 51) we never even HAD pizza! No salad bars, no options. . .PERIOD!

IMHO It's all a sign of kids calling the shots getting to CHOOSE what they want for lunch.

Guess that harks back to the day when ADULTS called the shots and kids didn't have the array of choices they do nowadays! I say turn back the clock and slap down a scoop of mash potatoes on melanine serving trays. No choice kid, you're eating it or going hungry.

jojo68's picture

I kinda liked the cafeteria school food...pizza burgers and cheesburgers were my favs! We actually had a salad bar option in high school and thought that was just the most fabulous thing since sliced bread. My SD11 wants to eat out at every meal and never eats regular meals. She thinks because she is so underweight that everyone should bow down to her and give her anything she wants so she'll eat and gain weight. Just another manipulation/aspergers/ocd whatever... I enjoying eating at home...I like to cook and try new things...I don't get these kids.