You are here

Electronic devices and visitation

a_nurse's picture

Sad how do you handle cell phones and tablet use on visitation with a BM who already stalks your life? What rules should be put in place? I am the stepmother. I pay for Wifi.

a_nurse's picture

She is allowed to call once between a certain time. The last time the kids brought devices they were asked to do things all the time by BM like spy and steal. Of course BF mediated out of court so BM got away with it AGAIN. And BF forgot to address this issue in mediation as we discussed. So here we are....

Thank you for the reply.

lgk2013's picture

How long do you have the skids for?

Children these days are reliant on their devices, that's just a fact and is regardless of their family situation. I think it would be unfair to take the devices away completely, but agree with some of the comments above that there should be a time for using devices and a time out from it too (me and SO do this even when it's just the two of us!) - if the skids choose to use their time with their phone etc to speak to BM, then let them. My SS talks to his mum on loudspeaker and it makes my blood boil hearing her voice in MY house, but it's not like I can tell him not to speak to his mother so I just leave the room and do something else (or eavesdrop if I'm worried about anything she might be saying, which we then disect afterwards along with BF).

Whatever the rules you decide, I agree that DH/SO should be 100% with you and the one to enforce anything.

As for the wifi - unfortunately I think wifi is now a basic neccesity of life! Why don't you try taking them away for a few days camping or somewhere without plugs - my skids love it after they've got over the shock of not having their phones!

Jsmom's picture

Phones were put up at night. When SD was abusing the privilege, DH took it away when they walked in the door. Gave them back at his discretion.

For us, electronics are easy, if you have the GPA of 3.0 or higher, no limitations. Everything gone until you brought it back up. Worked for both the boys.

SweetMom's picture

I'm there right with you. I have asked same question before. No matter how many times you tell them not to record they do. It's parhetic! They do it to get brownie points from BM. Just be yourself, wear your halo, and be happy for yourself. When you don't let it bother you, it'll stop.