You are here

Easter Vay-cay!

bb35's picture

Hi all - trying to work out a plan for the Easter holiday weekend. It co-incides with school holidays here and we have the skids from the Thursday after school right through to the following Saturday evening (9 nights). 

DH's parents have a holiday rental that they stay at, but there is no room - it is a two bedroom teeny place, and there are 5 of us (7 with his parents). I do not want to sleep on the floor, or a tent in the lawn.  I am too old for that sh$t now. 

Due to coronavirus our tourism industry has tanked, so there are a lot of holiday rentals available. I'd really love to go somewhere else for the 4 day weekend we have (I am working the rest of the time the skids are with us). DH and I have a toddler together and I would love to take the little guy away for the long weekend. 

However, DH is stalling - won't commit to any of the places I have picked, won't say what he wants to do. I feel like he is holding off until all the rentals are booked out then we will HAVE to go stay at his parents on the floor. 

What do you think? Any alternative ideas I haven't thought of? I am tempted to book a two bedroom place somewhere and tell him he can do what he wants - but I'm going to stay in a real bed and I'm taking the toddler. I don't think DH would mind not having the toddler. He just seems to be worried about booking somewhere and offending his parents. 

Monkeysee's picture

Honestly I’m not a huge fan of travelling anywhere unless necessary at the moment. Coronavirus won’t just peter out on it’s own, it spreading the way it is in large part due to people travelling. I don’t think we need to be fearful & bulk buying toilet paper or hand gel, but I do think people need to be mindful to stay home more than normal until the virus passes. Cases in China aren’t just slowing down because it’s run it’s course, they’re slowing down because they’re on lockdown. The data supports this. At the end of the day do what you want, but I’d rather set up a fort in my living room & enjoy time with my kids that way for the next little while. 

Crspyew's picture

The only tool we have to combat this virus is to reduce the spread.  There is a reason tourism is down.  I would  not risk my family traveling right now.  And how clean would that rental be--most likely not very.  More fun to stay home.

Rags's picture

If.... cases in China are slowing down.   Any data from the Chinese govt is suspect,

notarelative's picture

Leaving aside COVID19, what should be done to stop its spread, and whether you should go or not, as that is a whole different conversation - a two bedroom condo with four adults and three kids is not my idea of a holiday. 

Rental has two bedrooms. Unless his parents require separate rooms, there is no reason for you to be sleeping anywhere but in the bed in the second bedroom. Not enough beds, then it's kids on the floor or outside in a tent.

Rental of your own is a great idea. His parents may even be thrilled. They might love the idea of seeing the kids for fun every day and then getting time to rest and decompress each night. They could be secretly hoping you aren't coming to stay with them.

bb35's picture

Re: Getting a separate rental in the same location - that's a brilliant idea. Then we can all have our own space, the parents can decompress at the end of the day (as can we) but we still get family all together time.

Note that we're in New Zealand and only have 5 corona virus cases so far, but don't get me wrong - we could be going Denmark and have an explosion shortly.  I am looking at driving rather than air travel so less issues there - but you guys are also right, we may be in lockdown in a month anyway. Might be safer to wait and see what happens.

Thanks for the input, always good to get other ideas! 

Rags's picture

Go.  I am writing this from an airport.   The MSM inducing panic  is ridiculous.   Wash hands, cover coughs/sneezes, maintain reasonable personal space, use hand sanitizer and be cognizant of surroundings.  Other than that. Have fun.