You are here

Easter gifts???

flmomma08's picture

Help me out here. Do you give your kids Easter gifts, aside from a basket from the bunny and maybe an outfit or something small? My DH's family does Easter like Christmas. BD and SD get gifts from his parents and sister. I can't really complain about it because they're doing something nice for the kids, but I just find it so odd. I didn't grow up with Easter being a gift-giving holiday. I feel like we have to get his sister's kids gifts because they get for our kids. And the kids wonder why they get gifts from DH's side of the family and not from my side. My mom will give a chocolate bunny or stuffed animal, NOT a boatload of presents. What do you guys do AND has anyone had a situation like this where 2 sides of the family do something VERY different for a holiday and how do you handle it? Should I speak up about not wanting Easter to be a gift-giving holiday or just suck it up?

ndc's picture

I would not give gifts if I didn't want Easter to be a gift giving holiday, but I also wouldn't say anything to DH's relatives and I'd accept their gifts graciously. If that's what they've always done, let them do it. In this case, what they're doing isn't "out there" or unreasonable, so your vision of the holiday shouldn't trump theirs.

To answer your question, my family doesn't do big gifts, just an easter basket filled with candy and sometimes a couple small gifts.

flmomma08's picture

Yeah, I've been wanting to say something so bad for YEARS but it didn't really personally affect me until I had BD so I never said anything. You're right though, they can do what they want for the holiday. I guess I will just have to explain to BD that for us, Easter isn't about gifts. Grr.

Dontfeedthetrolls's picture

I make a basket and it might have a few small toys / gifts in it but I don't go out and buy something to give them apart of it. This year each of the plastic eggs has an item in it other than candy. Things like chapstick, a hatchanimal egg, and 5 dollars. The basket itself has more candy in it and we're doing multiple egg hunts between now and then so they'll get alot of chandy from those.

flmomma08's picture

I do a basket with some candy and some non-candy items as well. We also do egg hunts. I don't understand the whole second Christmas thing at all!

stepmominhiding's picture

My parents did an if it can fot in the basket, it is good for Easter.  So we'd get candy, a peice of jewelry, a barbie doll or a toy and a coloring book. 

MrsStepMom's picture

This is weird. I saw an ad for Target the other day fo easter gifts and there were ipads and video game consoles. I was like wtf. Everyone I know basically had baskets with candy, maybe a little toy, an outfit like you mentioned sometimes....maybe bunny pajamas or something.

flmomma08's picture

Exactly!!! Like when did this happen?? I have never known anyone who did this until DH's family!

MrsStepMom's picture

Don't even get  me started on buying kids numerous gaming consoles. "But this game doesn't work on the one I have". Guess you aren't playing that game then huh. Not spending a grand so you can play A game. Good grief. My SS has them all and I think its BULLSHIT. I get a new one when one is old and new games perhaps aren't made for it anymore I guess. But I also think a 16 year old shouldn't be holed up in his room playing video games for 12 hours a day.

Sorry, Rant from that Target ad. Haha

lieutenant_dad's picture

What does your DH think? This is his family and his traditions. Does he want your mutual DD to participate?

If he is fine with it and wants her to participate, then yes, as CG said above, this is an excellent teaching opportunity of how families celebrate things differently. I wouldn't use the word "weird" to describe it, and I'd discuss with DH how much you all want and can afford to spend on his holiday tradition.

If he doesn't want to participate further in this, then HE can address it with his family. Not you. Never you.

Put the shoe on the other foot: how would you feel if there was a family tradition on your side that DH thought was odd and didn't want DD to participate in solely because it wasn't what he was used to? Would you want him to say something to your family? Or tell DD she couldn't participate? My guess is no.

Your DH is an equal parent, and his family is equally DD's family. The lesson in this is that everyone is different, and that is okay. The lesson is not that just because you find it uncomfortable or odd that it's wrong, and therefore DD shouldn't participate.

flmomma08's picture

Well he thinks it's normal because he grew up this way, but he doesn't really care either way as far as what the kids do. He would prefer to just fast forward over Easter all together haha

Physics guy's picture

For us Easter is more of a religious holiday so we only do minimal things like easter eggs and some chocolate.  We minimize the "present" aspect of it so as not to turn it into Christmas part two.

GhostWhoCooksDinner's picture

I hate that Easter is becoming such a huge gift-giving holiday. I've always given my son a basket with candy and his favorite snacks, and something small like a DVD, book, or funny t-shirt. We prefer to focus on the meaning and spending time enjoying a nice dinner with family. I was shopping with one of my work friends this past weekend, and she spent at least $200 on each of her three kids! Video games, bikes, yada yada. She did the same thing for Valentine's Day. Valentine's Day! Her kids are super entitled, miserable to be around, and I see why. Wonder what they're getting for the Fourth of July?

flmomma08's picture

It's nuts to me too!! Now my BD is going to see her cousins getting all these gifts like it's Christmas all over again so do I now start getting her gifts as well even though I don't agree with it? Ugh! This is just bizarre to me.

QTsmum's picture

I'm usually a small bit of chocolate (we don't do a lot of sugar) a book and some new pajamas.  Last year they got big stuffed animal/pillows instead of PJs.   I hid their baskets and do a clue treasure hunt for them to find their stuff.

Chmmy's picture

Just another reason so many are entitled brats. Once a month there is a holiday they expect gifts

Rags's picture

Easter has always been my favorite holiday.  That has nothing to do with gifts. It has to do with the memories that my parents created for us during Easter each year.

Sure, there were baskets, chocolate, etc...  But is was about the time together ... and ...... the insane Easter Egg hunts that my dad engineered for us.   The hunts included hundreds of eggs (boiled and plastic eggs loaded with treats and money), required that he keep a map of where he hid all of the eggs in and around the house, and required hand tools to get the eggs hidden inside of air vents, light fixtures, inside the case of entertainment equipment (VCRs, cable boxes, etc...). We had to climb trees, roofs, get into rain gutters, take the covers off of the water shutoff valve box for the house, etc, etc, etc.........

Mom would do an amazing Easter dinner.

Easter is still my favorite holiday.  My bride and I tortured our son as my parents tortured my brother and I.

Create your own traditions around Easter.  Make it special.  Gifts are not necessary.  Fond memories are.

Enjoy.