You are here

Dumpster Diver... What Would You Do?

BananaBandana's picture

Without revealing backstories, I wanted to pose some questions and see what you all thought of this situation.

I will only say that I'm a father of two teenagers (boy & girl), and a step-dad to two teenagers (boy & girl).

In a nutshell:

My 17-year old step-son recently came home with a brand new, sealed-in-the-box $2,500 80" inch 4K television that he claims he found in a dumpster at a local tech company.

1. How would you react to this?
  2. What would conversation sound like?
  3. Would you let him keep it?

His mother and I have opposing views on this, so I was curious to know what others might think.

Would appreciate any replies. Thank you! 

tog redux's picture

If he WAS dumpster diving, that's illegal (or at least the trespassing to get to the dumpster is) so no.  The real version is that he either stole it or someone else stole it and sold it to him cheap.  No one throws out working televisions.  So either way, it's gained illegally.

DHsfamilyfromhell's picture

It would be reasonable to expect that for a while at least he provides proof of purchase for major items he brings into the home from now on ie if he were to get a new computer etc. 

Lollybobs's picture

I would want him to accompany me to the tech company in question, just to check 'it wasn't thrown out by mistake'. Obviously if it's all above board and legal, he'll have no problem doing this...

STaround's picture

I would tell my kid it goes back NOW

susanm's picture

The conversation woutd be with the bio-parent and would go something like "You know damned well that the tv is stolen.  Either he did it or bought it cheap from the person who did.  Either you get the "hot goods" out of my house or I will and you are not going to like how I do it.  Don't let this happen again or you can plan to visit your kid in juvie.  I will turn him in myself rather than have the police show up with a warrant to search my house." 

She can't truly believe the line of crap her kid is feeding her and allowing it is giving the green light to future criminal activity.  It is a fast slide once someone starts to enjoy free stuff and easy money.  She is insane not to come down hard on this unless she is perfectly OK with him choosing crime as a career path.

Steptalker2's picture

What I would do it I would not want stolen goods in my house. Tell your stepchild that if he does not remove the item from your house you will call the police to remove it.

SteppedOut's picture

So, your wife actually believes him? 

I would have a hard time being married to someone with such a low intelligence level. Equally hard time being married to someone that was such a bad parent and raising a thief. 

CompletelyPuzzled's picture

This is something his bio parents need to address with him, which means you will have to put pressure on your DW to deal with it.  She needs to make him return the item or get the police involved.  Although I have to admit I am extremely curious how he pulled off stealing such a large object and not getting caught. I would be on the lookout for smaller merchandise that he has.  If he is stealing, I am going to assume this TV isn't the first thing.

Lovemylife's picture

Snap a pic with f the serial number and go to police. If he stole it or is buy stolen goods he’s out. Nobody jeopardizes my home. 

Letti.R's picture

He would need to take me to that dumpster, because I am sure it contains a magic money tree too - and I want that!!

Seriously, he would need to take me to that dumpster so I can see whose property it is on and ask the owner of the dumpster why the tv was thrown out...
In the absence of this, the TV is going to the police station.

Thumper's picture

Totally agree with Letti above ^^^

Time to take a ride to the dumpster.

Lets put this into perspective...kids bring stuff home. Cats, dogs, turtles, frogs...NOT A 80" TV

This is not the time for a "CONVERSATION". Time for a discussion and it wont be pretty. LOL

Edit....the word "conversation" is overused. Often MIS used.  LETS have a conversation about your dumpster diving ok????

ndc's picture

Brand new working TVs don't get thrown out. And a dumpster on private property isn't fair game for taking from anyway. The "conversation" would be a demand that the TV be returned to the tech company property from which it came, and he would not be making that return alone.

BethAnne's picture

Perhaps your wife bought it for him but does not want you to know about it? Or perhaps he has been earing money somehow that he does not want you to know about so told you the dumpster lie when in fact he bought it himself?

Rags's picture

DW lying about it is worse than if the kid stole it.  If the kid is hiding a job... that is pathetic.  

Nope, if is smells like crap, looks like crap, and feels like crap.... it is crap.  Hopefully it is the Skid and not the bride that is crap.

As for the maybe's/perhaps'.  They are infinate.  Not worth the time it takes to consider them.

IMHO of course.

BethAnne's picture

I was thinking more along the lines of drug dealing or other illegal activities rather than packing groceries at walmart. 

Just trying to offer some alternative ideas into the mix. No one really knows what went on, it certainly does not smell right, but there are other ways a teen could come across a brand new tv than theft. 

Rags's picture

Ah hah.  Thanks for the clarification.  I never considered that the Skid may have "earned" the money to buy the TV either legally or illegally.

EvilStepMom1977's picture

Not only is he a dirty little thug and a liar, but he thinks you're a chump to boot. Don't prove him right.

lorlors's picture

Can he let the rest of us know where this magical Dumpster is?! *shok*

Jcksjj's picture

Um pretty sure that's grand theft and if one of my kids did that I would be freaking out that their going to end up as a felon right away at 18 and ruin their lives. 

As far as how it affects you, I agree with the others that you dont want it in your home so either prove it or take it to the police.

BananaBandana's picture

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. This has been a contentious issue in our household.

12 hours after he brought the tv home, I made him take me to the dumpster, but of course, it was gone.

Everyday, for two weeks, I've driven to that spot but there hasn't been any dumpster dropped there. He swears his story is true and he's not bending from it.

His mom called the company, and they knew nothing about it (it's an abandoned building that's part of a large company that owns multiple buildings in the area).

She called the police, and they knew nothing about it.

Her entire argument is that, "It was in a dumpster. They were throwing it away!" She bought her son's story and will not accept that he may be lying. 

I've beaten my head against a wall on this. It's her son and we live in her house (we moved in together 11 years ago). She's asked me to drop the matter and let her parent him.

I told her we need to see a counselor, but she keeps putting it off.

The only thing I despise more than a liar is a thief. And my fear is that her son is both.

Cheers and thank you, again.