You are here

doing the joint custody thing...or at least wanting a chance to!

agentMuse's picture

Hi all...wondering if any of you are going thru this right now...has anyone ever filed for shared custody? how did it go? how are things now? DH and I decided we would like to share custody with BM (we had to wait till SS is 3, as judges dont award shared custody under 3 where we live), but she wont even think about it...

she has actually asked the court to grant her full rights (rights to make all decisions concerning SS, as where we live no matter who the custodial parent is, both parents have equal rights and say in decisions concerning the child) and wants more CS because she does not work...DH wants to share custody with her, as she says SS is troubled and agressive and anxious...the kid will be 3 in april, and we see nothing of this behavior...

We have to go to family mediation before the court agrees to hear us, and although BM did not want to go her lawyer convinced her...after that well see...but i doubt shes willing to try, she was kicking and screaming, her lawyer told ours she was being irrationnal...

How are things for you in this situation? am i in for trouble? I am so stressed out...thank you for any advice...

minerva385's picture

I don't really have any helpful information for you, but I just wanted to tell you good luck!

agentMuse's picture

Thank you Beaccountable! I live in Canada, but of what our lawyer told me, usually they award half half custody if both parents are fit...thank you for your kind words...I appreciate them!!!